Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How bad are our finances?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers, I reckon you are FG, and have given up on the daft grammar and spelling but still sending out the same vibes. BTW not knocking, you are entitled to your opinion and you may even be right. Just don't agree with you. Now where are my glasses with the red tint?

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
I have always said the longer Potless stays in charge the more danger we have of going bust.
The reason no major new investers have come forward is that Potless doesn't want to give up control.
If Potless announced he had taken the club as far as he could and was actively looking for someone who could move the club on and had the Albions best interests at heart I'm sure someone would come forward.
If he did this I would doff my cap to him but there is more chance of me going through the card at York today then this happening. In the end Potless will be forced out as he will never deliver Falmer or be able to finance any new ground.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst I agree with Ernie to a point, Dick Knight is the chairman but does not have control of the club. He has a minority shareholding and therefore can be voted out by the remainder of the board.

There is confusion over the difference between an investor (someone who puts money into a business with the expectation of getting a return) and a beneficiary (someone who is prepared to throw money away on a non profit making lost cause).

The Albion will NEVER make any money, so we are looking for someone with more money than sense, and there are not too many multi-millionaires in that category (as we found out with Stanley and Archer).

DK has put in a lot of his own money, has little chance of getting it back, but is trying to run the club in a proper manner from a monetry perspective. Too many of us want to throw money at players in terms of transfer fees and wages in the hope of a quick fix, but there is no more money left.

(Cue accusations that I am DK in disguise etc etc)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I think dick should stick his hand in his pocket for once and do what chairmans are supposed to do and thats helping the financial side.
I did hear he had 80 million,but not sure if its true and if it is its a joke that he can't put in a bit more.:smokin: :shootself :rolleyes: :clap:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, but don't believe the rumour at the top of this thread... to the best of my knowledge, our club is basically well run financially and, unlike many others, solvent...

Spurs tried to take the p1ss with their initial bid for Zammo and, quite rightly, we told them to fcuk off... this suggests to me that we ARE in a position to get a resonable amount of money for him, and don't have to cave in / give Zammo away just to survive...

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
El Presidente said:
Whilst I agree with Ernie to a point, Dick Knight is the chairman but does not have control of the club. He has a minority shareholding and therefore can be voted out by the remainder of the board.

There is confusion over the difference between an investor (someone who puts money into a business with the expectation of getting a return) and a beneficiary (someone who is prepared to throw money away on a non profit making lost cause).

The Albion will NEVER make any money, so we are looking for someone with more money than sense, and there are not too many multi-millionaires in that category (as we found out with Stanley and Archer).

DK has put in a lot of his own money, has little chance of getting it back, but is trying to run the club in a proper manner from a monetry perspective. Too many of us want to throw money at players in terms of transfer fees and wages in the hope of a quick fix, but there is no more money left.

(Cue accusations that I am DK in disguise etc etc)

No, nobody should suggest that you are DK in disguise El Spic. However, your last few words say it all "there is no more money left". This is why we NEED a new Board.

I do not agree that there is no money to be made out of the Albion, in the long term. A significant investment in the club, including the provision of a say 35000 seater ground and a "reasonable" squad of players (such as the one we had when we were in the old Div1) would enable the club to unleash the potential that the club has - its significant active and potential fan base. Then, with carefull stewardship, there is no reason why we cannot enjoy similar status to that which Southampton have now. It is unrealistic to expect us to be another Manure, but we have the potential to be a mid-table Prem team. This should enable the club to return a profit.

My greatest concern is that we get Falmer, with its 22500 capacity, bloody park-and-ride and no potential for expansion. Then, whilst we would be better-off than now, we would be doomed to mediocrety forever. As you may remember, the Goldstone was never considered to be large enough with a capacity of under 30k, and even in the late 70s the club were looking for a new ground!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Agreed!
I find the capacity far to small and if you can't exspand then it shows that dick is not big enough for the club and is not ambitious enough.:nono: :nono: :nono:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Don Tmatter said:
Heard second hand from another strong source, who has ties with a director who would know his onions when it comes to finances that spurs are"running rings"round the club with regards to the sale of BZ, the source wouldn't elaborate on what they meant exactly but when i asked if he (BZ) would go, their reply was "he's got to,they're(the club) in stoock"
This would explain why there's been no new players this summer.
Heard from another strong source during the week that DK was in talks with Bristol Rovers about "sorting out" the sell on clause for BZ.
Believe it or not,there is something in this and it is worrying.
I for one think that if the board were more open with the fans with regard to the financial state of the club, we would be more sympathetic to them.

Well DT, it looks like your source was right!:nono:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
His last line is also correct. All the reasons for the past two years ticket increases have just turned out to be DK bullshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here