Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How bad are our finances?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Heard second hand from another strong source, who has ties with a director who would know his onions when it comes to finances that spurs are"running rings"round the club with regards to the sale of BZ, the source wouldn't elaborate on what they meant exactly but when i asked if he (BZ) would go, their reply was "he's got to,they're(the club) in stoock"
This would explain why there's been no new players this summer.
Heard from another strong source during the week that DK was in talks with Bristol Rovers about "sorting out" the sell on clause for BZ.
Believe it or not,there is something in this and it is worrying.
I for one think that if the board were more open with the fans with regard to the financial state of the club, we would be more sympathetic to them.

gumbopickles

Jul 10, 2003
brighton
well ive got a 10,000 student debt, £700 on my credit card and 1500 overdraft- as for the clubs finances i havent a clue!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I expect Zamora to leave for less than £1M very near to the beginning of the season. The club is undoubtedly strapped for cash and any potential buyers of Zamora will know that very well. I fear we are going to get shafted yet again although I hope I'm wrong.

:mad:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Didn't like Coppells recent comment about sort it out now rather than later - seemed almost willing him to go.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im willing to let him go if it means SC can bring 3 or 4new faces in.
It will be sad to see BZ go but its for the best in the long run.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
John Robinson's comments yesterday would've sent a shudder down my spine if I were a Brighton fan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go on then TLB - enlighten us

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I read his comments on here actually, BH. He was talking about the fact that he would've been keen to join Brighton, but said that he never even got as far as speaking to SC because of the club's financial situation.

Something like that anyway. It's on a thread on here somewhere.

He took a considerable wage cut to join us by all accounts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So therefore we are true to form to our sponsors - "SKINT"

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yep. Youre right.

We cant afford good players like Robinson.

Sell Zamora.

We have no money. Obviously.

Auction my season ticket.

Jul 6, 2003
shoreham
Is not the situation we have no money for transfer fees but a certain amount for wages.
We're in the same boat as most clubs in this div and even better than some i.e oldham,luton as we don't have a lot of cash but we have enough to get by,it's the old chestnut do you have a well run club that does'nt get into debt or hammer on your keyboard that we need someone with a money tree in thier garden who wants to throw it away then decide they have had enough then just go as fast as they appeared.
Would have coppell stayed if it was that bad,it makes a nice change for the fans to moan and not for the manager to moan and up and leave.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If we had sold Zamora at the start of the summer, then it wouldn't have been a problem. We could've brought in Robinson, Cureton, Hunt...But now we can't, as usual the club have left it too late. So we wouldn't benefit if we sold him, as who could we bring in? Nobody decent, all the best players have gone to clubs who actually did bother to do some work during the summer.:nono:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
e block rebellion said:
Is not the situation we have no money for transfer fees but a certain amount for wages.
We're in the same boat as most clubs in this div and even better than some i.e oldham,luton as we don't have a lot of cash but we have enough to get by,it's the old chestnut do you have a well run club that does'nt get into debt or hammer on your keyboard that we need someone with a money tree in thier garden who wants to throw it away then decide they have had enough then just go as fast as they appeared.
Would have coppell stayed if it was that bad,it makes a nice change for the fans to moan and not for the manager to moan and up and leave.

Good post

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
perth seagull said:
If we had sold Zamora at the start of the summer, then it wouldn't have been a problem. We could've brought in Robinson, Cureton, Hunt...But now we can't, as usual the club have left it too late. So we wouldn't benefit if we sold him, as who could we bring in? Nobody decent, all the best players have gone to clubs who actually did bother to do some work during the summer.:nono:

Don't agree, SC came here 14 odd games into the season last year and picked up Rodger and Blackwell, both good players, who hadn't managed to fix themselves up. With the number of players released there must be plenty of good ones out there, maybe not high profile. The beauty of having a manager like SC is that he knows of players that we probably haven't even heard of or considered, who could more than do the job in Div 2. The longer he waits, the cheaper they will be, even if we can't afford his 1st choices.

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
Fair point Icy, there is far too much doom and gloom on this board at the present time.

I prefer to look at it a different way, ok we haven't signed any new players yet, by and large we will start the season with much the same team as last season, I would like to have seen Ingimarsson stay with us as he was a class act, but he didn't so we have to get over it. The team took a long time to get to grips with the first division and in the end our poor run at the start sunk us, a year on and with that experience behind them the squad should be more than adequately prepared for life a division lower.

At a time when the TV money ran out and the finances of league clubs came in for greater scrutiny we have carried on running on a shoestring, but at least we didn't overspend to try and stay up, that would have been catastrophic in the long run.

There have been threads about players we could or should have signed, the likes of Robinson, Hunt and Cureton, obviously there wasn't the finance available to make that happen. With the number of players released during the past couple of months there are bound to be quite a few, of all price ranges and levels of experience, looking around for a club well into next season, as SC did with Rodger and Blackwelll, add to that a couple of lengthy loans and the situation looks brighter.

Am I disappionted that at a distance it sometimes appears that the club lacks ambition, yes a little bit, would I rather that it stretched its finances too far and undid all the good work of the last 3-4 years, absolutely not. As a Brighton fan of more than 25 years will I remain optimistic, absolutely because there is no point being anything else. We still have the manager that all of us want and the club is in a relatively stable condition when compared to some around us, if you go to Oldham on the first day of the season (assuming they still exist) ask their fans if they would rather be in our position and I suspect that most would say yes. Be gratefull for what we already have.

Lush

Mods' Pet
It has to be true that we are living something of a hand to mouth existence until we get Falmer, but at least we don't have a millstone of debt round our necks.

Be patient guys. We have SC. We have Bobby Z. And in the Autumn we will get the go-ahead on Falmer. Then everyone can start moaning about where they're sitting in the new stadium....

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Shit! But what do you expect after the money wasted walking-out on Gillingham, the crap, desperate deal agreed for Withdean, and the pathetic planning efforts for Falmer. The only way for this club to prosper without a new ground is to get a Board with real money, that they are prepared to invest in the team, pending the eventual move to a new ground. A new Board may have more balls and gravitas, to fight for that ground being built sooner rather than later!

And before the rose-tinted glasses gang start, i have no idea who that may be. But, i do know that if Dick Tight made it known that he was ready to step aside, someone would take over. We all hear the rumours about people wanting to invest in the club, but wanting control of their investment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here