Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Are We Financing New Signings????

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But how can he be "pissed off with me" when it wasn't even me who made the post?!

Anyway, I haven't a clue what any of Butters/Reid/Mayo/Hart were being paid, and to be honest I don't think I'd be very good if I had to make a guess. I think what the original poster was trying to say, and the point I agreed with, was that all four were experienced players who had played for us for a number of years. There's no way people on the staff for that length of time would be on peanuts. By "decent," I mean nearer the top than the bottom of the albion wages table, but in terms of what that really is I don't know and I've not claimed to. I may be wrong, maybe some of those players really were on low wages, but I'd like to think after around 30 years of service between them they could have negotiated a few increases by now!

If Gary Hart really wishes to comment on this then he can, but if you actually look at who has posted what I think you'd realise there's no need for any "rebuke" coming my way.

Blimey, alright, fair enough. Calm down.

He still hates you, though.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Season ticket money?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Blimey, alright, fair enough. Calm down.

He still hates you, though.

Please don't tell me you are actually sad enough to ask a PLAYER what they think of a NSCER and then GLOAT about it on an internet forum?!

Jesus Wept.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It might just be possible that some of the money that is being put into the club is an interest free gift aimed at achieving promotion.

Promotion, of course, kick starts new income streams that improve the longer term financial position. And that would be good news for anyone wanting to turn their spending into something that looks a bit more like an investment. But this is a long-term thing, not a route towards a quick return on cash that is stumped up now.

Nudge, Nudge, say no more. :thumbsup:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Hang on a minute.

Someone starts a thread asking the question "how are we financing new signings?"

Someone else, perfectly reasonably, responds that it will probably be funds created by the release of 10 players (some senior) from the wage bill.

A normally reasonable poster goes utterly utterly ballistic in response to this.

Am I missing something?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It might just be possible that some of the money that is being put into the club is an interest free gift aimed at achieving promotion.

Promotion, of course, kick starts new income streams that improve the longer term financial position. And that would be good news for anyone wanting to turn their spending into something that looks a bit more like an investment. But this is a long-term thing, not a route towards a quick return on cash that is stumped up now.

What,s an "interest free GIFT"...?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be fair, you wrote that you did, and seeing as a) he doesn't know you, and b) it's hard to detect sarcasm and lying in text, it's a fair question.

And I'm sure people DO do that. In fact, with some of the people on here I reckon it'd be the first thing they asked a player. WW was probably just checking if you were one of them:thumbsup:

And I trust I've cleared that up now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just out of interest, what do other people understand by the phrase 'putting money into the club'?

My definition of that phrase - and I would say it is much misused - is someone actually putting money, err, into the club. Not loans, interest-free or otherwise, but pure financial backing.

I've never quite understood how much of the Albion's support from the board falls into this category.

I'm not saying that loans aren't very welcome and appreciated, even vital, at certain times. But it's not the same.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just out of interest, what do other people understand by the phrase 'putting money into the club'?

My definition of that phrase - and I would say it is much misused - is someone actually putting money, err, into the club. Not loans, interest-free or otherwise, but pure financial backing.

I've never quite understood how much of the Albion's support from the board falls into this category.

I'm not saying that loans aren't very welcome and appreciated, even vital, at certain times. But it's not the same.

The difference between, say, Archer putting his *cough* money in, and, say, Norman Cook is that Archer made sure interest was charged and paid on his loan. In fact, because the club defaulted on his loan repayment, he charged a penalty, which, naturally enough, was paid back. Who made sure of that? Work it out yourself.

Meanwhile, the reality this time around is that the money has been put in, with each of the investors knowing that there is little chance of repayment under the present circumstances. They could insist, of course, but that would almost certainly bankrupt the club, unless other people plug that gap.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

If someone wishes to loan us money than its not an issue. It only becomes an issue if they demand repayments and it virtually bankrupts us. If I won the lottery jackpot I would happily put 75% of it into the club with the clause of having it returned maybe with a tiny profit when the club reach the Premiership AND have survived an extra season.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Hang on a minute.

Someone starts a thread asking the question "how are we financing new signings?"

Someone else, perfectly reasonably, responds that it will probably be funds created by the release of 10 players (some senior) from the wage bill.

A normally reasonable poster goes utterly utterly ballistic in response to this.

Am I missing something?

I think you're missing the fact that poster has tendencies to self-righteous smugness (pot/kettle I know)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here