[Misc] Hotel non-refund

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Twitter is very powerful and very public.... hash and tag them in a few gentle enquiries outlining your issue, then just increase the twitter pressure if they continue to be obstructive.... worked with me and easyJet...
I completely agree with this. I have had a few situations where a very public Twitter outing has led to customer services getting in touch to rectify. Let us know if you do it and we can jump on and make suitably outraged comments in your behalf.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks all.

I've been through the same cycle with them about three times this week, where I've expressed increasing disbelief that they're not simply apologising and making the refund ASAP.

Maybe I'll try twitter from NSC's account. I might even turn on the blue tick first. That'll scare them!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And tell them that you own a website with x thousand members. All of whom will avoid Accor, or be spreading the word.
That exactly the email to head office. Doesn't need to be a "threat", just a note to say it's being discussed.

After your experience I'd personally avoid the company.

Go head office - you'll probably end up with a voucher.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
The situation is very clear - they have f*cked up. Accor is responsible.

I would ask them for a full refund, plus all your additional costs plus compensation for your watsed time and stress. If they didn't quickly respond put it in the hands of a solicitor. They don't have a leg to stand on.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks all.

I've been through the same cycle with them about three times this week, where I've expressed increasing disbelief that they're not simply apologising and making the refund ASAP.

Maybe I'll try twitter from NSC's account. I might even turn on the blue tick first. That'll scare them!
It's time to abuse your power.

I've got a story to tell all related to my mum passing away down in Sussex and utilities completely f***ing up the pass over of accounts.

Had a debt collection agency chasing me in Sussex and London for a debt that doesn't exist with British Gas. They won't speak to me because I'm not the name on the debt. Sending letters (the bastards) to old man at my London address !!

My mum ? No my dad who passed away over a decade ago. On passing over to me from my mum they even sent him a letter saying how sad t was he was leaving British Gas :)

Going to claw back hundreds next week from BT as well.

For over two years she was being charged twice by the two telephone providers. A call package she couldn't even use. Cancel ? Too complicated to even go into.

We knew about it, knew we would get it back but it's been impossible to turn either off.

The other one has seen the light and now are offering me all sort of discounts,

Customer services with these big companies has disappeared and the poor bastards who work for them are using systems that don't function.

BG has compensated me £80 for the complete failure of their "bereavement" services. Meanwhile the non existent debt they failed to tell me about is in the hands of a debt collection agency who refuse to talk to me :)

I don't need help - I'm just been busy. In a couple of weeks Ofcom, Ofgem and probably the Legal Ombudsman will all be getting letters.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
@Accor on TwitterX has 52K followers who may be interested in your treatment.

Also claim back through your credit card, and/or go to CAB.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We had a hotel booked the night before Marseille on our way to the game.

The hotel was booked and paid for in full, in advance, on Accor's website.

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available, and they had been given to other people. We were told we had to find another hotel.

It took quite some time and a fair bit more money on a taxi and a new hotel booking in order that we had somewhere to sleep that night.

I assumed it would be an easy exercise to get a refund, at the very least, from Accor for our initial booking. I was wrong.

Accor themselves are refusing to refund me. Instead they are saying it's up to the hotel. I didn't book with the hotel, I didn't pay the hotel, I have no relationship with the hotel directly and have hand communications with them at all.

Their last email said:

Thank you for your return,​
We have been asked to respond to your request regarding your reservation XXXXXXXXX for a stay from 04 Oct 2023 to 05 Oct 2023.​
Following your initial discussions with our services, your file has been reviewed by our expert team. The conclusion of our investigation unfortunately does not allow us to provide you with a response different from the one you received previously​
Since the refund can only be made by the hotel, therfore if you have not received any reply please do not hesitate to contact us again.​
We remain at your service should you require any further assistance.​
Am I going mad - are they being reasonable here?
I know she's a bit busy throwing her legs in the air but Angela Rippon is your lady. She''l get it sorted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I work with someone (not my direct boss) but someone very senior who chases, wants updates, want everything done to deadline and I've had a few cross words with over time.

He is completely driven by keeping our customers happy and coming back for business. He isn't a salesman (we are all operational) and he isn't on commission.

He's also completely non political and I'll stop everything and jump through hoops for him if he needs my help.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’ll check with wife but she had a similar issue with Booking.com and spent along time trying to get the intermediate and the hotel to own the refund , she got it in the end , I’ll revert back asap
I'm having a run-in with Booking.com when I discovered that the flat I booked for Marseille wasn't available

Will certainly avoid using them in the future

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm having a run-in with Booking.com when I discovered that the flat I booked for Marseille wasn't available

Will certainly avoid using them in the future
They are usually quite good, but seemingly unable to deal with their attempts to compete with Air BNB.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It depends entirely on the reason given by the hotel for selling your room to someone else, having first sold it to you. Unless I’ve missed it, this is the fundamental issue, and I see no reference to it here.

You had a contract with someone. It’s not clear to me if that was with Accor or the individual hotel. But someone has promised to provide you with a service on condition that certain obligations are met eg paying in full in advance, perhaps arriving by a certain time, confirming the booking, whatever, I don’t know. The question is this — did you fulfill your obligations? If you did, Accor and/or the hotel are in breach of contract, and acting unlawfully.

Their email back to you sounds like detail-free, neutral, corporate bullshit. I would pick up the phone and get to the bottom of this. Make sure you record the call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports