Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hotel non-refund

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We had a hotel booked the night before Marseille on our way to the game.

The hotel was booked and paid for in full, in advance, on Accor's website.

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available, and they had been given to other people. We were told we had to find another hotel.

It took quite some time and a fair bit more money on a taxi and a new hotel booking in order that we had somewhere to sleep that night.

I assumed it would be an easy exercise to get a refund, at the very least, from Accor for our initial booking. I was wrong.

Accor themselves are refusing to refund me. Instead they are saying it's up to the hotel. I didn't book with the hotel, I didn't pay the hotel, I have no relationship with the hotel directly and have hand communications with them at all.

Their last email said:

Thank you for your return,​
We have been asked to respond to your request regarding your reservation XXXXXXXXX for a stay from 04 Oct 2023 to 05 Oct 2023.​
Following your initial discussions with our services, your file has been reviewed by our expert team. The conclusion of our investigation unfortunately does not allow us to provide you with a response different from the one you received previously​
Since the refund can only be made by the hotel, therfore if you have not received any reply please do not hesitate to contact us again.​
We remain at your service should you require any further assistance.​
Am I going mad - are they being reasonable here?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ll check with wife but she had a similar issue with Booking.com and spent along time trying to get the intermediate and the hotel to own the refund , she got it in the end , I’ll revert back asap

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
No not at all - need to be brutal with them: your lawyer will be contacting them to recover lost night and all your extra expenses + compensation+ you will be flooding their website, expedia, booking.com etc and trip advisor with extremely negative comments re their robbery!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ll check with wife but she had a similar issue with Booking.com and spent along time trying to get the intermediate and the hotel to own the refund , she got it in the end , I’ll revert back asap
That's the thing - if I'd gone to an intermediary I'd expect it to be trickier to resolve.

Accor is the owner of the hotel - they have numerous chains under their umbrella.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available, and they had been given to other people. We were told we had to find another hotel.

It took quite some time and a fair bit more money on a taxi and a new hotel booking in order that we had somewhere to sleep that night.

I assumed it would be an easy exercise to get a refund, at the very least, from Accor for our initial booking. I was wrong.

Accor themselves are refusing to refund me. Instead they are saying it's up to the hotel. I didn't book with the hotel, I didn't pay the hotel, I have no relationship with the hotel directly and have hand communications with them at all.

Their last email said:

We have been asked to respond to your request regarding your reservation XXXXXXXXX for a stay from 04 Oct 2023 to 05 Oct 2023.​
Following your initial discussions with our services, your file has been reviewed by our expert team. The conclusion of our investigation unfortunately does not allow us to provide you with a response different from the one you received previously​
Since the refund can only be made by the hotel, therfore if you have not received any reply please do not hesitate to contact us again.​

No not at all.

Sod the small print - just point out the obvious.

We remain at your service should you require any further assistance.

Are they bollocks. I'd reply asking for them to service the assistance getting your money back. Sounds crazy, but do you know anyone who speaks fluent French or is French ?

Get them to write the response in the native language to ensure nothing is lost in translation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's the thing - if I'd gone to an intermediary I'd expect it to be trickier to resolve.

Accor is the owner of the hotel - they have numerous chains under their umbrella.

Find the address of the head office or try and find a corporate email. Nothing gets something sorted quicker than a forwarded email from above.

I'm incredibly mischievous when I get ripped off.

Just got £80 compensation from British Gas. Next week BT which will run into hundreds (long story) but it's not in doubt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Their last email said:

Unreasonable. I hope NSC has a hotel booking equivalent of @LadySeagull to offer advice :thumbsup:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Not sure if this applies (from Accor website) ... but maybe the hotel should have taken the responsibility of finding you suitable accommodation and paying for it.

"In the case of a force majeure event, an exceptional event or impossibility to carry out the Service and, in particular, making the room of the Establishment available to the Customer, the Establishment may reserve the option of providing accommodation to the Customer, in whole or in part, at an Establishment in the equivalent category or perform a Service of the same nature, subject to the prior agreement of the Customer. The reasonable expenses relating to the transfer (additional cost of the rooms, transportation and a phone call) between the two Establishment shall be payable by the concerned Establishment in accordance with the existing standard procedure of the said Establishment".

Obviously too late now. Have you approached the hotel directly about a refund?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think you need to make it clear their "expert team" are a bunch of c***s and kick up as much fuss as possible. See if you can get hold of a phone number for their head office.

It really winds me up when companies like this only give you your money back when you ask for escalation or start threatening legal action.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Book our Accor hotels - ALL - Accor Live Limitless

With Accor, you are guaranteed to have a pleasant and comfortable stay. Reserve your stay in our hotels at the official website all.accor.com. Business Trips. Official Website. Real time availability. Business Meetings. Exclusive offers. Best Price Guarantee. Secure payment.

Well, thats quite clearly BULLSHIT now isn't it.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Twitter is very powerful and very public.... hash and tag them in a few gentle enquiries outlining your issue, then just increase the twitter pressure if they continue to be obstructive.... worked with me and easyJet...

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
No not at all.

Sod the small print - just point out the obvious.

We remain at your service should you require any further assistance.

Are they bollocks. I'd reply asking for them to service the assistance getting your money back. Sounds crazy, but do you know anyone who speaks fluent French or is French ?

Get them to write the response in the native language to ensure nothing is lost in translation.
I wonder if the chap who was very helpful before the game with local info might be able to help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here