Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins unsure on future?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Oh, you mean missing pens and goal chances!?!?.... or do you mean spending a lot of his time defending because it is easier and requires less skill than trying to craft goals and killer passes in the attacking portion of the field.

No. I mean when Barnes is on form if you ACTUALLY watch him his work of the ball is very good creating space, passing and tracking back. I admit his penalty failures and recent form have been poor and I really think playing Hoskins or Dobbie will be the future but most of the people who slag Barnes off don't watch the game properly IMHO.

D

Deleted member 18477

put it this way... if i was a striker... i wouldnt want to play for gus.

CMS get's no proper service.

like others have said... Barnes is no longer a striker. he is a defensive left winger forward.

dobbie is clearly also a defensive left winger forward for gus when he's not warming the bench.

oh and where did hoskins play when CMS came on the other day? you've guess it... defensive left winger forward.

lualua's position is bench warmer or sofa warmer.

david lopez is just there to help Vicente back from injury even though he is a winger?

oh gus.... i feel sorry for our players. can't hate the players for not performing the way they're set up.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
put it this way... if i was a striker... i wouldnt want to play for gus.

CMS get's no proper service.

like others have said... Barnes is no longer a striker. he is a defensive left winger forward.

dobbie is clearly also a defensive left winger forward for gus when he's not warming the bench.

oh and where did hoskins play when CMS came on the other day? you've guess it... defensive left winger forward.

lualua's position is bench warmer or sofa warmer.

david lopez is just there to help Vicente back from injury even though he is a winger?

oh gus.... i feel sorry for our players. can't hate the players for not performing the way they're set up.

Yeah I would hate it too. Playing an attractive passing game, being only 2 points outside the play offs, having the best defence in the league (or close to) playing at the amex every other week. Sorry but the set up is fine when we win and then when we lose 1 game when down to 10 men for 83 minutes and with injuries to our best player (Orlandi) we are the worst team and Gus is useless. GET A F!£$ING GRIP.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to you - and you've just alluded to it - anyone who doesn't find the striker situation 'catastrophic' is an 'apologist'. An apologist for what? There are more than two measures of happiness and appreciation - or lack thereof.

It's not about whether I agree or disagree with your opinion, there is some merit in there. And I haven't shot it down.

It's more a comment on your TCB-esque misery and this current penchant for tedious exaggeration (e.g. - since he let Murray go he has been nothing short of catastrophic in sorting out the strike force) a 14 year-old seriously lacking in a decent vocabulary would come up with. I hear this hyperbole on the train every morning.

A hurricane blowing Cuban or American towns and villages with loss of life and community is a catastrophe. A set of strikers who may or may not be playing as well as they could or should... isn't.

Ok, I take your point about the hyperbole but misery? I made a point of praising the set up of the defence and midfield, but I find our inability to find an out and out goalscorer very frustrating as with one we'd be top of the league. Most teams challenging have a genuine threat up front, we don't or if we do it's one that hasn't sparked or had a chance of a run in the team..yet

My comments are not born of the result at Palace, more with the problems we have closing games out. The midfield have to take some responsibilty granted, but we are very lightweight upfront in comparison to other teams challenging. I really am not convinced that Gus has an eye for a striker. CMS was not and is not the answer given the way we play :shrug:

If Gus does manage to uncover the special one in the next transfer window, I'll look a mug with this thread but he's not got a great track record imo and it's not all about a lack of funds. His gambles just haven't come off.

All the above doesn't mean I am wanting Gus out or I don't enjoy the football, I just think he has some faults that a few on here won't even consider

D

Deleted member 18477

Yeah I would hate it too. Playing an attractive passing game, being only 2 points outside the play offs, having the best defence in the league (or close to) playing at the amex every other week. Sorry but the set up is fine when we win and then when we lose 1 game when down to 10 men for 83 minutes and with injuries to our best player (Orlandi) we are the worst team and Gus is useless. GET A F!£$ING GRIP.

attractive passing game? yes its a passing game but attractive?

barcelona play an attractive passing game, so do swansea and arsenal. i'd say we are one of the more boring teams to watch in this division if you're a neutral. you wouldnt say that about barca, swansea or arsenal or even palace this season!! bolasie, zaha and murray are very exciting to watch - not a passing game though granted.

exactly 2 points outside playoffs could easily be top 2 if we could get the front 3 right! you only improve if you're not content! thats how winners stay winners!

defence? whats this thread got to do with the defence!

not just palace though is it? the palace performance was a shocking one but i'd have said the same thing before the palace game.

so why dont you get a f***ing grip and let others have opinions different to yours without feeling the need to shout them down! (yes i have just contradicted myself but it was needed in this instance.)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Gus seems to be really clueless on how to put together a strike force tbh. Midfield and defence he's done a good job on but since he let Murray go he has been nothing short of catastrophic in sorting out the strike force. The only player who has had game time over a period is CMS, mostly disappointing with occasional flashes of brilliance. Barnes is no longer a striker. Barndoor, Volkes never fitted in. Dobbie hasn't been given a run. Hoskins has been treated pretty shoddily imo (no squad number etc)and we have been flaffing around in every transfer window trying to replace Murray.

If I was Hoskins I'd want out as Gus really does seem a bit clueless about how to set up the team with forwards since Murray's departure.

The "special one" striker is something that gets trotted out in every transfer window and always results in zilch or strikers who are really not what we seem to need.

Just imo like.

For what it's worth I agree with pretty much all you say.

You missed of Wood, who now looks like a right handful at Millwall.

Perhaps it's just Gus' style that doesn't suit forward players?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think there is more chance of Vicente playing every game between now and the end of the season, than Hoskins being with us next season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am not suprised by this, Hoskins will NEVER stay fit enough to build a side around. I would be staggered if he stayed.

We need another striker everyone knows that, CMS may well go in January or the summer who knows, it will free up a hefty amount on the wage bill for new men.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The one that really worries me is Bridcutt - think he has been imense again this season. Cant be sure but thought he was only given a 2 year deal which ends this summer??? Anyone the wiser?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The one that really worries me is Bridcutt - think he has been imense again this season. Cant be sure but thought he was only given a 2 year deal which ends this summer??? Anyone the wiser?

Pretty sure he extended beyond next summer. Agree, he's been our best player this season and we need to get him signed up on a long term deal. Would not be surprised if a Premiership club comes in for him during the January window.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Pretty sure he extended beyond next summer. Agree, he's been our best player this season and we need to get him signed up on a long term deal. Would not be surprised if a Premiership club comes in for him during the January window.

Ah ok hope you are right. Put him on a 5 year deal now!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ok, I take your point about the hyperbole but misery? I made a point of praising the set up of the defence and midfield, but I find our inability to find an out and out goalscorer very frustrating as with one we'd be top of the league. Most teams challenging have a genuine threat up front, we don't or if we do it's one that hasn't sparked or had a chance of a run in the team..yet

My comments are not born of the result at Palace, more with the problems we have closing games out. The midfield have to take some responsibilty granted, but we are very lightweight upfront in comparison to other teams challenging. I really am not convinced that Gus has an eye for a striker. CMS was not and is not the answer given the way we play :shrug:

If Gus does manage to uncover the special one in the next transfer window, I'll look a mug with this thread but he's not got a great track record imo and it's not all about a lack of funds. His gambles just haven't come off.

All the above doesn't mean I am wanting Gus out or I don't enjoy the football, I just think he has some faults that a few on here won't even consider

Totally agree with everything you've said. The list of strikers that Poyet has brought in, and then have failed, is worth worrying about. I think the only value for money is Barnes.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Here you go - View attachment 37351

Can anyone tell me how I insert the data into the message (rather than attach as a document)?

Thanks for that. I know there's a lot of Dev squad in there but 28 out of contract is an awful lot of players to sort out. can only think we are going to see a lot of changes next summer.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Here you go - View attachment 37351

Can anyone tell me how I insert the data into the message (rather than attach as a document)?

Red = Out of contract in the Summer.

Torbjorn Agdestein 30-Jun-14
Chimdi Akubuine 30-Jun-13
Casper Ankergren 30-Jun-13
George Barker 30-Jun-13
Ashley Barnes 30-Jun-13
Roland Bergkamp 30-Jun-13
Peter Brezovan 30-Jun-13

Liam Bridcutt 30-Jun-15
Will Buckley 30-Jun-14
Inigo Calderon 30-Jun-14
Andrew Crofts 30-Jun-15
Ben Dickenson 30-Jun-13
Gary Dicker 30-Jun-13

Stephen Dobbie 30-Jun-15
Lewis Dunk 30-Jun-13
Daniel East 30-Jun-13
Adam El Abd 30-Jun-13

Jake Forster-Caskey 30-Jun-15
Shamir Goodwin 30-Jun-13
Gordon Greer 30-Jun-13

Ryan Harley 30-Jun-14
Will Hoskins 30-Jun-13
Theo Jones 30-Jun-13
Yaser Kasim 30-Jun-13

Tomasz Kuszczak 30-Jun-14
David Lopez 30-Jun-13
Kazenga LuaLua 30-Jun-14
Solomon March 30-Jun-13
Craig Mackail-Smith 30-Jun-15
Matthew McGiveron 30-Jun-13
Charlie Oatway 30-Jun-13

Andrea Orlandi 30-Jun-14
Marcos Painter 30-Jun-13
Courtney Richards 30-Jun-13
Anton Rodgers 30-Jun-13
Vicente Rodriguez 30-Jun-13

Bruno Saltor Grau 30-Jun-14
Ben Sampayo 30-Jun-13
Grant Smith 30-Jun-13
Matt Sparrow 30-Jun-13
Romain Vincelot 30-Jun-13

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All first team players:

Casper Ankergren 30-Jun-13
Ashley Barnes 30-Jun-13
Peter Brezovan 30-Jun-13
Gary Dicker 30-Jun-13
Lewis Dunk 30-Jun-13
Adam El Abd 30-Jun-13
Gordon Greer 30-Jun-13
Will Hoskins 30-Jun-13
David Lopez 30-Jun-13
Marcos Painter 30-Jun-13
Vicente Rodriguez 30-Jun-13

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I really want Hoskins to be the player we all hoped he would be but on what I've seen I'm not sure those hopes are realistic. Then again, I've hardly seen him, so I don't really know, and neither do the people who insist on saying he "looks sharp" and so much better than Barnesy. Based on what?

I kind of imagined him to be a big strong centre forward type, which all clubs would love to find if they could, but he does look a bit slight to me. Not to say he can't be tricky and skilful, but again, I haven't seen the evidence for that, and there must be a reason Gus leaves him out. (Beyond the more crazed conspiracy theories, I mean.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here