Hoskins unsure on future?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No. I mean when Barnes is on form if you ACTUALLY watch him his work of the ball is very good creating space, passing and tracking back. I admit his penalty failures and recent form have been poor and I really think playing Hoskins or Dobbie will be the future but most of the people who slag Barnes off don't watch the game properly IMHO.

agree wholeheartedly

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No. I mean when Barnes is on form if you ACTUALLY watch him his work of the ball is very good creating space, passing and tracking back. I admit his penalty failures and recent form have been poor and I really think playing Hoskins or Dobbie will be the future but most of the people who slag Barnes off don't watch the game properly IMHO.

Well that blows your theorising abilities out the water eh?... I watch the game very closely, and that is why I think AB is a waste of space, and so do many who sit around us in WSU, and I can't believe that we are an isolated pocket of opinion in the ground.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well that blows your theorising abilities out the water eh?... I watch the game very closely, and that is why I think AB is a waste of space, and so do many who sit around us in WSU, and I can't believe that we are an isolated pocket of opinion in the ground.

Most people slagged off Glenn Murray and now want him back. Football fans are stupid, and fickle. Whats your point ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Most people slagged off Glenn Murray and now want him back. Football fans are stupid, and fickle. Whats your point ?

Believe me I won't be bleating when AB gets snaffled by a league one team.... I was mortified when Murray left, he was a moody fucker like Barnes, but as t least Murray could head, pass and shoot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will the deal to sell Hoskins to AFC Bournemouth be revived and as we paid £500k for him what would we get if we sold him £250? Surely he is worth more than that to us!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Its a worry how the club operate on contracts.

You would have thought, being burnt letting Murray's contract run down would have focused a few minds, but obviosuly not.

Lewis Dunk and Will Hoskins are highly sellable players, yet both can sign for a new club in a couple of weeks time. (Albeit in Dunks case with a triubal fee)

Gordon Greer, Adam El Abd, Ashley Barnes, first team regulars, play 95% of first team games, are free to sign for a new club in a few weeks time.

But hey, Gus knows best.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Will the deal to sell Hoskins to AFC Bournemouth be revived and as we paid £500k for him what would we get if we sold him £250? Surely he is worth more than that to us!

If Hoskins goes it will be to another 2nd division side not 3rd or 4th

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
Catastophic? Really? When we are sat in 8th spot only 2 off the play offs? I agree it's a shame we let Murray go but we all really need to move on. The search and failure to find a replacment is exactly because Gus does not want to waste money on signing players like Vokes and Paynter perm. Hoskins has been injured for most of his time with us and last season obviously had other issues. Dobbie has only just arrived and Gus has previously said it take players time to adapt to our style of play and what is asked of them. Barnes has moved position and been played regularly because he does EXACTLY what is asked of him. As for CMS it's always a gamble spending 2.5m on a player but he has scored 9 already and I am willing to bet he will have 20 odd by the end of the season. Whilst I see your point you have gone over the top, no manager gets it right all the time and yes Gus seems to have struggled a little with our striking options but then with the way we play (and actually in general) its the hardest department to furnish in football without having millions and millions for one player.

Great post

I thoroughly enjoy watching Brighton play, each player has their role, and although CMS doesn't score every game his play and work rate contribute to the style of play and shape of the starting 11.

When he doesn't play he is thoroughly missed, his goals will come, he will come under scrutiny and critism but i will still support him.

He reminds me of Kenny Miller in style, he too was hopeless in the finishing department but his commitment and work rate was never questioned, this made him an asset to the team, then one day it clicked for him and he started scoring from all over the place.

If you can, be patient with Gus and the strikers and you will be rewarded.

I've never understood the reasoning of some fans that they think they have a devine right to purchase or un-earth a 35 goal a season striker

some teams get lucky, others need to be plucky and keep working.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Gus seems to be really clueless on how to put together a strike force tbh. Midfield and defence he's done a good job on but since he let Murray go he has been nothing short of catastrophic in sorting out the strike force. The only player who has had game time over a period is CMS, mostly disappointing with occasional flashes of brilliance. Barnes is no longer a striker. Barndoor, Volkes never fitted in. Dobbie hasn't been given a run. Hoskins has been treated pretty shoddily imo (no squad number etc)and we have been flaffing around in every transfer window trying to replace Murray.

If I was Hoskins I'd want out as Gus really does seem a bit clueless about how to set up the team with forwards since Murray's departure.

The "special one" striker is something that gets trotted out in every transfer window and always results in zilch or strikers who are really not what we seem to need.

Just imo like.

Hoskins does have a squad number ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports