Hoskins to Bournemouth - allegedly a fee has been agreed [merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Cherries fan in peace.. Just registered yesterday to pick up on this point.. appreciate this discussion has moved on a bit but hey ho..

Whilst every club has "finite" potential - the implication here is that we are pretty much at the limit of ours already and I really don't agree with that...

As a town Bournemouth alone's population is bigger than that of towns/cities with much bigger football clubs. When you add in Poole - which by itself is the largest town in the country without a football league club - and Christchurch we've got a very large catchment area indeed and on sheer population alone there's more than ample folk there to support a much bigger football club than historically we have had.

People often say that Bmth isn't "a football town", but the evidence for that is only on the basis that people don't have a history of getting behind the local professional club as much as they could. By contrast the amateur and youth football setups in the area are enormous and there's plenty of interest in the game. The town centre is full of pubs and clubs that are absolutely packed out with plastic Premiershi* fans watching Sky of a weekend.. and even more so when England are in major competitions it can be absolutely massive.

Personally I think that there is the potential for AFCB to be a much bigger club than we currently are. There are of course obstacles in the way of that - stadium not being the smallest of them - but I really think that the potential is there if the club is built up in the right way.. (which is not by pissing money away on players IMO though)

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Look forward to visiting you in a decent stadium in the next couple of seasons where we can actually see the game!!
Yes, fair points, and I've always though that area could sustain a bigger football club. But be careful. As I'm sure you're well aware there are dozens, probably hundreds of examples (Gretna and Darlington being two of the most recent) of a rich benefactor coming in, promising the earth and everyone getting swept away by 'potential'. Then they get bored, die, lose their money or whatever and you're stuck with players on big contracts that you can no longer afford to pay. We all know where that leads, and I'd hate you to come on here in a few years time saying that you're in trouble (again) and it's all the fault of the 'previous owners'.

Good luck anyway. We're looking out for you now because of Cooky.

Lush

Mods' Pet
If Hoskins is not in the squad tomorrow it means he's not in Gus' future plans. I should think that Barnes will start upfront unless we up our offer for BDB who's been seen at The Amex this morning.

Probably confused with Sparrow or Dicker. They all look the same in real life.

gary-dicker_02.jpg

0,,10433~10164028,00.jpg

0,,10433~9942644,00.gif

CourtOffside_Stu

Jan 26, 2012
Poole
Yes, fair points, and I've always though that area could sustain a bigger football club. But be careful. As I'm sure you're well aware there are dozens, probably hundreds of examples (Gretna and Darlington being two of the most recent) of a rich benefactor coming in, promising the earth and everyone getting swept away by 'potential'. Then they get bored, die, lose their money or whatever and you're stuck with players on big contracts that you can no longer afford to pay. We all know where that leads, and I'd hate you to come on here in a few years time saying that you're in trouble (again) and it's all the fault of the 'previous owners'.

I'm absolutely terrified by the way money is being thrown around. I can't personally relax and enjoy any of it because of the fear of what might be around the corner. We know nothing about the current state of the finances, nothing about the Russian Demin himself. There's no dialogue between club and fans, no accountability, nothing. There's not a lot we can do about it though - it's a private company now and we can either like it or lump it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not sure what tells the bigger story here? The reports in the Bournemouth Echo or the total silence from the Albion on the matter?

D

Deleted member 22389

Agree. At the moment 300k - 500k signings are enough to see the team out of the League 1. However its when you get to the Championship you need to start looking at purchases of 1m + to bring in the quality. If your not getting the crowds and the investor is not prepared to put any more money up, its just not going to work anymore. We have seen this each time we got the Championship. Withdean was our stumbling block. Also we just could not attract anyone. Now we have The Amex just that stadium alone and playing Championship football is registering with players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Personally, though they'll doubtless be happy there's money for players, I think what's happened at Bournemouth is slightly regrettable. Here's a club which was coming out of financial dire straits, was improving on the field anyway, was being held up as a model of fan ownership, but has ended up in the hands of another owner with no apparent previous connection to the club. With, according to visiting Cherries fans, no dialogue with the support.

I never like it when this happens because there's always the possibility that a new owner will see a club merely as a toy, or no more than a financial asset on a nice patch of land, to be disposed of as they see fit.

So I wish them well but I sincerely hope they've got an owner with their club's best interests at heart.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
This whole saga hasn't been handled well. No footballer should find out about an accepted bid on Twitter of all places. Full respect to Hoskins to stay and fight for his place. Nothing to do with the fact that it's Bournemouth, more to do with the fact that he hasn't achieved anything at Albion yet and has been injured.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This whole saga hasn't been handled well. No footballer should find out about an accepted bid on Twitter of all places. Full respect to Hoskins to stay and fight for his place. Nothing to do with the fact that it's Bournemouth, more to do with the fact that he hasn't achieved anything at Albion yet and has been injured.

It hasn't been handled badly by us though. Bournemouth are the ones that have been releasing all the information,

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm not sure what tells the bigger story here? The reports in the Bournemouth Echo or the total silence from the Albion on the matter?

I am in agreement with the Albions Board of Directors on this. A dignified slience is the only real course action they can take.

Thanks to the Transfer Rumours site, nutters, idiots, know-nothings, wind up merchants,....... filtering down to NSC, the transfer window is now an un-ending nightmare for the hierarchy of well run clubs.

From the Albion (to date), we hear nothing........almost certainly, because there is nothing realistically happening.

On the other hand, you have quotes from the Bournemouth Chairman in the Argus sister rag.....the Daily Echo.......spouting off left, right and centre. This is the Chairman, who recently went on the pitch, in what appeared a drunken state, offering out a Bournemouth supporter, who dared to question his dubious running of the club. The only other Director of a club I recall acting in such a disgusting manner in public was a Mr. Greg Stanley some years ago.....(? was it breaking a shop window). The Mr. Stanley, who 'saved' the Albion and later seconded a certain Mr. Bill Archer onto the Albion board.

Make of that what you will.

If the Albion decided to publically discount every rumour, stupid, ill-informed and often downright scurrilous posting on all these sites........and requested players to remain behind after training, so as to keep them rapidly up to date re transfers........none of them would be able to go home.

I can imagine Gus telling them this.

Gus;......... Sorry lads, I know training is finished for the day, but you must all sit here until mid-night during January so we can keep you well-informed re any transfer rumours.

Albion players.............Oh bollocks....!

Gus;.........Sorry......what did you say.....?......Oh.....yes of course......you can go home Ryan, this doesn't affect you.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Oh well it was a nice thought WH joining us - but fair play if he wants to fight for his place.

I presume that a Championship club might come in for him now, if he doesn't make decent headway at yours. Good points about our russian, but I'm fed up with losing players all the time..I like (trying) to buy them for a change LOL..

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just want to clarify, has there actually been official word from either club that there was a bid accepted? Or one even made? I mean yes it was in the Echo but beyond that? As many have said they don't need to comment on every single rumour etc... Just seems we've had little to no confirmation, just a series of "The Echo understands" type statements.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Bet it was all agent talk, working to get himself more money

Well it didn't work. We are not going to offer an improved contact on his performances so far, and i guess the player could have left if he wanted to, so the agent coud have cashed in on the move that way - but that didn't happen either.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good news , Bournemouth were becoming an annoying itch. Hoskins has well and truly scratched it by staying with us.

Know your place muff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports