Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins Set to Retire.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Do feel sorry for Hoskins but surely its about time the doctors/surgeons told him to call it a day.

That is quite a call to make though, on the basis of medical records we don't have access to.

Before he came here he didn't appear to have any major problems. And he is relatively young.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did end up leaving the game but not sure how some on here can really comment without knowing the extent of his injuries, how connected they are, how long they are likely to take to recover, how well they will mend etc?

Just because someone has had a couple of seasons of terrible luck on the injury front doesn't necessarily mean they are destined for the knackers yard.

Jimmy McNulty is a good example. He had his kidney injury then when he did return after a massive time out he had problems with his bone in his ankle and a couple of other set backs. I dare say quite a few people said similar about him calling it a day etc.

Now he is an important player at Barnsley and enjoying his football.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
That is quite a call to make though, on the basis of medical records we don't have access to.

Before he came here he didn't appear to have any major problems. And he is relatively young.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did end up leaving the game but not sure how some on here can really comment without knowing the extent of his injuries, how connected they are, how long they are likely to take to recover, how well they will mend etc?

Just because someone has had a couple of seasons of terrible luck on the injury front doesn't necessarily mean they are destined for the knackers yard.

Jimmy McNulty is a good example. He had his kidney injury then when he did return after a massive time out he had problems with his bone in his ankle and a couple of other set backs. I dare say quite a few people said similar about him calling it a day etc.

Now he is an important player at Barnsley and enjoying his football.

Rational comment is out of place on NSC these days. Hoskins out! Chicksen out! Barber out! Oscar out! and so on and so on.

Feel very sorry for him, seen him about a few times and spoke to him at a friendly last year and he is a real nice lad, be such q shame if he has to retire because he is a real quality player and its a shame at that age for any player to retire. Some heartless buffoons on here

Precisely. If we were in a job that we loved and many would envy, how would we feel if we couldn't do it anymore through medical circumstances beyond our control???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I gutted for him, out of all the transfers two years ago his was the one I was most exicited about. Must be awful for him to be so unlucky both in footballing terms and in his personal life.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think he could have made a big difference last season, just a couple more goals and we could have grasped that holy grail. Always sad to see a good player's potential come to nothing.

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
shame. if he was fit enough i think he could have the potential to be a brilliant player. i agree with everyone else, with CMS still out we need another striker, especially if ulloa or barnes gets injured. even if it is just a short term loan.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Very sad. But there is a massive difference between setback as reported in Argus and claim of retiring in OP. What is the latter's source?

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
McSmudger is not the future... poor first touch and not good enough... We need to move on with someone else...

Oh do **** off!! I don't know what games you watch but he's a class act and we are really lucky to have him! He will hopefully be more suited under Oscar and may form a deadly partnership with Ulloa! Can't wait to see him back!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh do **** off!! I don't know what games you watch but he's a class act and we are really lucky to have him! He will hopefully be more suited under Oscar and may form a deadly partnership with Ulloa! Can't wait to see him back!

Good on you mate, Gus never played to CMS strengths, why buy a player who loves running onto sharp accurate through balls, only to a apply a completely different game plan once he arrived in Brighton.

Same applies to a degree with Harley, he made his name as a support striker/advanced mfielder....only for Gus to ask him to play central MF with defensive responsibilities.......square peg/round hole.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Good on you mate, Gus never played to CMS strengths, why buy a player who loves running onto sharp accurate through balls, only to a apply a completely different game plan once he arrived in Brighton.

Same applies to a degree with Harley, he made his name as a support striker/advanced mfielder....only for Gus to ask him to play central MF with defensive responsibilities.......square peg/round hole.

Exactly! Although I'm glad Harley has gone to be honest!
CMS though has potential to be brilliant for us and although we have only seen glimpses of what he is capable off I believe that was down to Gus not knowing how to use him properly! Time will tell how he does under Oscar but I've got a feeling we may see a few more goals from him!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Not sure that's entirely fair, Oscar has had a look at him and decided he's not up to it too.

Still, don't let that fact get in the way of your opinions on Gus.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Great shame if this is true, obviously we never saw the best of Will here but I was hoping that after recovering an extended run may really have cemented his place in the side. Best of luck whichever Will :thumbsup:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not sure that's entirely fair, Oscar has had a look at him and decided he's not up to it too.

Still, don't let that fact get in the way of your opinions on Gus.

So what's my opinion of Gus you Muppet??????.....

I was a big supporter until the last few months of the season when he started bleating about the prem and money etc.......

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Feel bad for him. Would/could be a 20+ goal a season striker.
As for the stupid comments, they're not the stupidest I've heard muttered on here

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If he is out for the season I wouldn't be surprised if he does, I really am gutted for him

Time period out undetermined according to Argus.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I don't buy this argument. I like CMS but his first touch is poor, and he isn't a 'Gus' type player, so I do agree that it was odd for Gus to sign him in the first place. But this stuff about not playing to his strengths and how he is good at running on to through balls- how many times has he scored for us when one on one with the keeper? He nearly always hits it straight at him. He isn't very good at them.

CMS would be good in an old fashioned front two partnership with Ulloa, but we're not going to play that way. Personally I think we should sell him and spend the couple of million we get on a replacement that can play the way we want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here