Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] horsham away to Barnsley in fa cup

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sounds like it was a player called Aiden Marsh. Reason he wasn't eligible to play- he was on loan at York City 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Barnsley cup-tied him when he was on loan at York City, but then recalled him on 06/11 which was after the original Barnsley v Horsham tie at Oakwell, then put him in the starting XI for the replay. :ROFLMAO:

I've seen Sutton twice this season and they are proper crap - so maybe Horsham at the Amex in January

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Barnsley cup-tied him when he was on loan at York City, but then recalled him on 06/11 which was after the original Barnsley v Horsham tie at Oakwell, then put him in the starting XI for the replay. :ROFLMAO:
Mad that he personally didn't realise he was cup-tied.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sounds like it was a player called Aiden Marsh. Reason he wasn't eligible to play- he was on loan at York City 🤣🤣

His loan had been terminated, at the time of the replay.

He wasn't actually cup-tied - he hadn't featured for York in the FA Cup. It is simply as you say, that he was registered on loan at York, at the time of the original Barnsley v Horsham game, and you are only eligible to feature in any FA Cup replay if you are eligible at the time of the first game (disciplinary bans excepted, of course).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the BBC website.

Although Barnsley have not named the ineligible player, Football Association rules state only players who are eligible for the initial tie can feature in any replay in the FA Cup.

Forward Aiden Marsh was on loan at National League side York City when the first game took place on 3 November, before being recalled and then starting in the replay at Horsham on 14 November.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
His loan had been terminated, at the time of the replay.

He wasn't actually cup-tied - he hadn't featured for York in the FA Cup. It is simply as you say, that he was registered on loan at York, at the time of the original Barnsley v Horsham game, and you are only eligible to feature in any FA Cup replay if you are eligible at the time of the first game (disciplinary bans excepted, of course).
York City stated he was 'cup tied' by Barnsley - i.e. they didn't want him to play in the FA Cup for York - https://yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/duo-aiden-marsh-and-will-smith-extend-loans-with-york-city/

I remember 11 years ago Hastings United not having a fit goalkeeper in the squad for their FA Cup 2nd round replay against Harrogate Town and not being able to sign anyone for it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was thinking that. It's just about conceivable that the club (although incompetent) could have "forgotten" but how can the player. But also the fans. I'm pretty sure if we had a player in a similar situation it would be flagged on here. Very very odd.

EDIT: now read the above posts which make more sense. Actually a bit of an odd rule then.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
York City stated he was 'cup tied' by Barnsley - i.e. they didn't want him to play in the FA Cup for York - https://yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/duo-aiden-marsh-and-will-smith-extend-loans-with-york-city/

I remember 11 years ago Hastings United not having a fit goalkeeper in the squad for their FA Cup 2nd round replay against Harrogate Town and not being able to sign anyone for it.

Didn’t Matt Armstrong-Ford end up playing in the replay despite injuring his knee in the first game?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was thinking that. It's just about conceivable that the club (although incompetent) could have "forgotten" but how can the player. But also the fans. I'm pretty sure if we had a player in a similar situation it would be flagged on here. Very very odd.

EDIT: now read the above posts which make more sense. Actually a bit of an odd rule then.
See Simster's reply above.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Didn’t Matt Armstrong-Ford end up playing in the replay despite injuring his knee in the first game?
That's right. His knee was heavily strapped up for the replay and Harrogate's players were targeting him. He couldn't take any goal kicks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Plus the small matter of £41000 prize money for now winning in the first round proper.
A nice little windfall.
Do they also now get to keep all the profit from ticket sales rather than have to share it. Hope they spend it wisely.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Its a pretty basic rule, and I'm amazed they've fallen foul of it.

It is something that comes up fairly often during the January transfer window - a player signs for a new club between an FA Cup third round match and a subsequent replay, and isn't eligible to play in that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Like we’ve never done anything like it before. Remember when we didn’t register in time and had to play through qualifying rounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here