Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horse Tenderloin - great taste..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With all the bad press around horse meat, thought why not give it a go. Ordered a couple of Tenderloins at half the price of the beef equivalent. Verdict - some of the sweetest succulent meat I've ever tasted...

Horse meat bred for the food chain, that's the difference.

However on another point, I'm sure the recent controversy has done the horse meat trade the world of good.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There was a letter in our local paper yesterday from an OAP who wrote in to say that in the late 40's and early 50's it was quite common to eat horse meat and she regularly ate a horse stew once a week. There was a horse butchers in Cleethorpes.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
I think one main reason for people's aversion to horse meat (and cat/dog/etc.) is that they are perceived as pets rather than food sources.

Similar happens sometimes when a family rear a pig (for example, or chickens and so on) and then when it comes to slaughter/eat, they all decide against it.

Once there's a detachment in place (from both being pet type animals and from rearing any animal themselves) then I think people are more comfortable about eating them.

When it comes to horse meat, I'm not sure how I'd feel about eating them (knowingly of course!). I guess it would come down to knowing that it was safe, if they'd been reared appropriately etc. i.e. not via criminal gangs, stolen horses, diseased etc. Maybe next time I'm in the butchers, I'll ask them their slant on it - they tend to know where meat comes from more than the meat counter at Tescos! :D Basically, I'd give it a go if they'd been treated ethically.

Cats and dogs are carnivores and off the menu,horses are herbivores and therefore on the menu

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I will definitely eat horse - have done already in France. I think there are people that are squeamish about seeing the cute and cuddly when eating meat. For instance my sister won't eat lamb after seeing them in the fields in springtime. As a family back in the sixties we used to travel back from visiting relatives on a Kent farm with a hare or rabbit hanging up in the back of our van.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm in exactly the same posittion, I don't really like dog's or cat's but I wouldnt dream about eating them.

Cats and dogs are slightly different as they are themselves meat eaters. It's generally not a good idea to eat animals that are carnivores, they can harbour much disease.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
When I was about three we travelled down to the South of France for a family holiday. Having left on the Hovercraft at silly o'clock in the morning we spent all day travelling and only stopped for food by about five in the afternoon.

Stopped in a motorway service area that made Le Pont De La Tour look like a greasy spoon and was promptly given steak frite to chow down on. When I finished I apparently asked for more a la Oliver and the restauranteur promptly said that if I ate another then the meal was on the house. He served up another medium rare and I yummed it up only to be told that it was horse.

I don't remember much other than how sweet and sumptuous it bloody was.

I'd buy it if it was in the Supermarkets here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here