Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home secretary: 'Knife crime can't go on'

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But how do you stop knife crime? Anyone can get a blade out of the kitchen draw and walk off into the night. Stop and search is the only real solution I can see.

Personally I have no idea - but I'm sure being white, male, middle aged and from southern England and laughing at Diane Abbott anonymously on the internet with other white, middle aged males from southern England will be a very proactive starting point to finding that solution, as has already happened on this thread.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This needs to stop being a political football and we need to get a grip. I agree with you of course and think we should have Diane Abbot as Home Secretary as she has all the answers - here's an example of an interview on police numbers she gave to LBC prior to the election in 2017:

“Think of a number. Any number. Jeremy Corbyn had thought of a number. He had thought of the number 10,000. That was how many new policemen and women Labour were promising to put on the beat if they won the election. He’d show the Tories he too could be tough on law and order.
Think of a number. Several numbers. The shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, had thought of several. Unfortunately all of them were the wrong ones as she tried to explain Labour’s policing commitments to Nick Ferrari in an interview on LBC radio.

Ferrari had got things rolling by asking how much 10,000 new officers would cost. Not the trickiest of opening questions as this was precisely the one she had been sent on his show to answer, but still it caught Abbott totally off guard.

“Well ... erm ...” she dithered. Why was this man asking her about policemen? Still, it would be rude not to say anything. But it was tricky. Up till now it hadn’t occurred to her that policemen actually got paid. Like real money. She’d always rather imagined they were all doing voluntary work. “If we recruit the 10,000 police men and women over a four-year period, we believe it’ll be about £300,000.”

“What are you paying them?” asked Ferrari who was just beginning to realise the interview could be comedy gold. Abbott scratched her head. Hadn’t she just told him what the policemen would be getting? £30 per year sounded more than enough to her. If they didn’t like it they could always go and work in a Nike sweatshop in the Philippines for twice as much. Some people didn’t know how lucky they were. But sensing she might have miscalculated a little, she went back to check her maths.

Radio silence.

“They will cost ... they will, it will cost, erm, about ... about £80m,” she said eventually having just done some long division on her 13 fingers.

“How do you get to that figure?”

Longer radio silence

“We get to that figure because we anticipate recruiting 25,000 extra police officers a year at least,” Abbott declared triumphantly. She was sure Corbyn wouldn’t mind her having arbitrarily decided to recruit an extra 15,000 police officers.”

and it continued.....

So you ask it to stop being a political football....

By kicking the football.

:facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But how do you stop knife crime? Anyone can get a blade out of the kitchen draw and walk off into the night. Stop and search is the only real solution I can see.
They have wised up to this method of policing now hiding weapons in strategic places, one of my customers told me the new thing is hiding drugs in middle class front Gardens ready for collection.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally I have no idea - but I'm sure being white, male, middle aged and from southern England and laughing at Diane Abbott anonymously on the internet with other white, middle aged males from southern England will be a very proactive starting point to finding that solution, as has already happened on this thread.

Oh please, that was a rather classic interview with an inept politician that did not have a clue about their job. To actually bring your quote into the thread is quite frankly ridiculous. To also point out white, middle aged men can also be seen as racist, oh it can't because we are white and middle aged, that isn't racist. What if I were black and middle aged and you'd used that as your quote instead? Oh, yeah that would be racist. This is about knife crime, NOT race. Stop being a fool.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was pretty much fatherless in my teens, I didn't feel the need to stab people because of it.

so are hundreds of thousands of teens, who also avoid a life of gangs and crime. the role model argument is weak imo, especially when gang members are not exclusively from one parent families.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well I've got no ideas on how to stop it ...and I'm not going down the political route ....but I do vehemently hope that some sort of initiative can be forged to combat this 'trend' ..I can only imagine how the parents of the latest victim (indeed all victims) feels.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Polioce need to target black people , stop and search more , get in those communities , target those that cause most the knife crime.

It wont happen of course but it would help

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Longer sentences" implies they will go to jail. A youth caught with a knife will almost certainly have a referral order for a first offence where they will go and sit with a couple of beardy men and a waspish woman in large glasses who will explain to them how naughty knife crime is and how some people get hurt and "I'm sure none of us want that" while the offender (a feral scrote) looks out of the window and his mum cries a bit.

Contrast that with a lad I once witnesses who had had a number of "interventions" from the youth offending team but had somehow managed to get shipped off to Feltham YOI on a Friday night and was brought back to court the following Monday. He'd been giving it Billy Big Bollocks for a year or so and this was his first time inside (police cells aside). He was sitting in the dock, a tearful frightened child. He'd seen how unpleasant YOIs are and that was just over a weekend. The court chairman asked him if he fancied going back, but this time for three months and he broke down at the thought of it.

A short, sharp shock that makes them realise the sort of life they can expect if the don't leave the knife in the kitchen drawer (which is where most of them get them).

And restore the 20k police the tories have sacked.

I fear you’re correct. The short, sharp shock tactic certainly works. Put the fear of god into them. Doesn’t have to be something that will affect their future detrimentally, but something that outweighs the thrill of carrying a knife.

And of course carrying weapons increases the risk of a weapon being used against you. It’s all a bit of a mess.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I fear you’re correct. The short, sharp shock tactic certainly works. Put the fear of god into them. Doesn’t have to be something that will affect their future detrimentally, but something that outweighs the thrill of carrying a knife.

And of course carrying weapons increases the risk of a weapon being used against you. It’s all a bit of a mess.

People only carry offensive weapons in order to use them, they are guilty immediately.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
"Longer sentences" implies they will go to jail. A youth caught with a knife will almost certainly have a referral order for a first offence where they will go and sit with a couple of beardy men and a waspish woman in large glasses who will explain to them how naughty knife crime is and how some people get hurt and "I'm sure none of us want that" while the offender (a feral scrote) looks out of the window and his mum cries a bit.

Contrast that with a lad I once witnesses who had had a number of "interventions" from the youth offending team but had somehow managed to get shipped off to Feltham YOI on a Friday night and was brought back to court the following Monday. He'd been giving it Billy Big Bollocks for a year or so and this was his first time inside (police cells aside). He was sitting in the dock, a tearful frightened child. He'd seen how unpleasant YOIs are and that was just over a weekend. The court chairman asked him if he fancied going back, but this time for three months and he broke down at the thought of it.

A short, sharp shock that makes them realise the sort of life they can expect if the don't leave the knife in the kitchen drawer (which is where most of them get them).

And restore the 20k police the tories have sacked.

It’s not just the 20,000 officers that have gone that’s had an effect. It’s e equal and more members of “back room” staff who were shown the door that has had an equally profound effect.

It was always the mantra when cuts were announced that officers wouldn’t be lost as cuts would be made to back room staff, as if all those staff were just sitting around doing eff all, all day (granted some were, but that goes for a walks of life).

What happened then was that many of those civilian jobs were back filled by warranted officers, granted some were on light or restricted duties, but many weren’t, further reducing the number of frontline officers.

I know from my own experience working in Croydon, how few officers are put out to police an area that has the largest night time economy outside of the West End. It’s just luck that it doesn’t go tits up - and thy are ill prepared when it does as the riot showed, and that was before the cuts!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Oh please, that was a rather classic interview with an inept politician that did not have a clue about their job. To actually bring your quote into the thread is quite frankly ridiculous. To also point out white, middle aged men can also be seen as racist, oh it can't because we are white and middle aged, that isn't racist. What if I were black and middle aged and you'd used that as your quote instead? Oh, yeah that would be racist. This is about knife crime, NOT race. Stop being a fool.

Knife crime has been an issue for quite some time in urban England, but as I already pointed out, before referring to both the inevitable NSC Diane Abbott bashing as well as the general demographic of NSC users who do it, suddenly we have a thread on the horrors of knife crime - coinciding with the latest two, high profile victims of knife crime as highlighted by the media, who just happen to be a white girl and a 'gifted public school boy'. Funny that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Knife crime has been an issue for quite some time in urban England, but as I already pointed out, before referring to both the inevitable NSC Diane Abbott bashing as well as the general demographic of NSC users who do it, suddenly we have a thread on the horrors of knife crime - coinciding with the latest two, high profile victims of knife crime as highlighted by the media, who just happen to be a white girl and a 'gifted public school boy'. Funny that.

Are you having a Diane Abbott love in?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Police numbers
Youth services
Inequality
Housing
Poverty
School funding

Shouldn't take a genius to work out which way these need to go to reduce violent crime.

As an aside politics relates to everything. To ask for politics to be taken out of something tends to be the reaction of those who don't wish to acknowledge the actions or inaction of their preferred party.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
How do you stop it Mr Home Secretary? Ban knives from the kitchen? Most knives used in attacks are home implements. I would suggest stop and search, you cannot ban knives. The liberals will be on my arse.

Stop and searching diversity is not an option , an alternative solution is required .

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Are you having a Diane Abbott love in?

No. It's just that I don't live in Hackney North and Stoke Newington and I don't lie awake at night frothing at the mouth at the thought of her as some people seem to do either.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No. It's just that I don't live in Hackney North and Stoke Newington and I don't lie awake at night frothing at the mouth at the thought of her as some people seem to do either.

One post on this thread brought out her inadequacy to be a Home Secretary... ONE POST, and you have jumped on it as if this was what it is all about, which it isn't. Incidentally, having lived a mile or so from Stoke Newington, it is a pretty safe place, so I have a feeling you have no idea what you are talking about, other than to rant about people that find this particular politician a waste of space. She doesn't make the decisions, thank God, but you clearly have an agenda away from knife crime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here