Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home secretary: 'Knife crime can't go on'

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was stabbed in the back with a (albeit small) knife at the Courthope Center in Portslade Old Village when I was about 14. It wasnt new then either. Deaths have certainly increased though. Mostly, gang related I imagine.

What year was that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was a lot higher than 10, where’s he got that from?
I have no idea, but I'll hazard a guess you might be a little surprised, yourself.

Mr Gleave is doing the usual statistical smoke a mirrors, which seriously undermines the valid point he's trying to make.

He's comparing knife crime murder with road causalities.
He's also referencing 'teenagers' for knife crime and under 15's for road causalities.

The Office Of National Statistics breaks age groups down as under 16's and 16-24.

So I'm not sure where that leaves us, other than:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...homicideinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2018

Child victims
There were 67 victims of homicide aged under 16 years in the year ending March 2018. A quarter of victims aged under 16 years were killed by a parent or step-parent (25%, 17 offences), a lower proportion than in recent years3 and a decrease from 32 offences the previous year. However, as at 4 December 2018, there were 28 victims aged under 16 years (42%) for whom no suspect had been identified. This number is likely to fall as police investigations continue.

It is rare for under-16s to be killed by a stranger. Excluding the six homicides of children at the Manchester Arena terror attack, there were four offences where the victim was killed by a stranger, the same as the previous two years.

Note that's not 67 child murder victims of knife crime, but all murdered children.

There were increases in sharp instrument homicides for both male victims (from 161 to 222; up 38%) and female victims (from 51 to 63; up 24%). Male victims aged 16- to 24 years and 25- to 34 years saw the biggest increases over the last year, with victims aged 16- to 24 years increasing from 54 to 86 homicides

As terrible as that is worse still being the underlying trend is seemingly upwards.
They aren't quite the numbers the press, media and current American President would have us believe.

https://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/1653-uk-road-casualties

Between 2016 and 2017, the number of child fatalities (aged 0-15) in Great Britain fell from 69 in 2016 to 48 in 2017. During the same period, the total number of child casualties decreased by 2%. The majority (58%) of child casualties were male and 37% of them were pedestrians. The highest concentration of child fatalities (23%) occurred during school leaving hours (3pm-5pm). [19]

279 young people (aged 17-24) were killed on Britain's roads in 2017, down from 299 in 2016. However, whilst young people make up only 7% of licence holders, they represent over 20% of drivers killed or seriously injured in car crashes [20].

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
_113675036_knife.jpg
Who in their right mind carries this sort of weapon onto a train.
Absolute tw@t.

This stabbing took place in my local borough of Hillingdon :(

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Things that would make a difference

1. Legalize drugs. No black market, less gang violence.
2. Tougher sentences for carrying and using knives. Been tried but has to be part of the solution,
3. Stop and search, hugely unpopular and for good reason but if you fear being stopped, you are less likely to be carrying.
4. Make it unpopular. When I was a kid there was a trend for carrying Stanley knives, it didn't last long but I'd imagine a lot of people got hurt because of the mini arms race it created. Influencers, can and must work to make it unfashionable maybe even by glamourising the old fashioned straightener. Kids fight, they always have and always will persuading them using your hands is the 'right' way won't stop the violence but it might stop the fatalities
5. Stuff for kids to do. We cut youth club funding and sports club funding at our peril. Kids roaming the streets with nothing to do get into trouble. This hasn't changed either and yet politicians choose to ignore it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

2. Tougher sentences for carrying and using knives. Been tried but has to be part of the solution,
3. Stop and search, hugely unpopular and for good reason but if you fear being stopped, you are less likely to be carrying.
4. Make it unpopular. When I was a kid there was a trend for carrying Stanley knives, it didn't last long but I'd imagine a lot of people got hurt because of the mini arms race it created. Influencers, can and must work to make it unfashionable maybe even by glamourising the old fashioned straightener. Kids fight, they always have and always will persuading them using your hands is the 'right' way won't stop the violence but it might stop the fatalities
5. Stuff for kids to do. We cut youth club funding and sports club funding at our peril. Kids roaming the streets with nothing to do get into trouble. This hasn't changed either and yet politicians choose to ignore it.

I don’t know, all that’s been tried. How about bringing back the rope? Desperate times equals desperate measures and it might send the desired message.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Simple solution is stop and search those who the statistics show are likely to be the perpetrators and victims of knife crime, in London as far as I can see it's mainly young Asian and Afro Caribbean males. So start a rigorous stop and search policy of that demographic, issue a statement beforehand explaining why if you fall into this demographic you can be expected to be stopped and searched.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

This is not original but it's also a lack of good role models, fathers, mothers who care, strong family units etc. Gangs probably seem to offer support and protection to vulnerable young men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here