Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Holocaust Memorial Day

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Obviously a million books out there on but anyone interested in the Holocaust should read Lawerence Rees

As definitive accounts go, it’s arguably THE read from a master of the subject.

theboybilly

Have just read several articles. Surprised to see some of concentration camps started 2 years before start of war. Whilst can understand why German people had little option but to follow Hitler in to war but find it hard that there was not mass protest about the opening of concentration camps before the war. Maybe somebody will inform me that general German public were unaware what was going on

There were 6 true 'Death Camps' all of which were liberated by the Russians. (By 'Death Camp' I mean where a train or some trucks would roll in and a pretence of relocation further east was carried out, most had no buildings to house inmates - they weren't staying long. All of these camps were in the Eastern sphere of Nazi control. But there were (and I personally find this astonishing) over 20,000 Nazi concentration camps in one form or another. The scale of madness is frightening

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
[SUP][/SUP]

They do repeat photos from time to time. The picture that always gets me is that of Czeslawa Kwoka - 13 years of age and seized from her home with her mum who also perished. The picture is one of the usual 3 but this time of a young lady who has obviously been beaten before sitting for the photographer. A bruise here, a cut lip there but for me behind those sad tearful eyes I see something else - a look of total bewilderment at what fate has thrown at her. What on earth had she done to deserve this. We know the Nazi answer to this of course and in reality she was as innocent as a child could ever be. Heartbreaking. My first thought of visualising Holocaust victims is her. RIP little one

It's the one that always gets me too.

Czeslawa_Kwoka_-_Brasse.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We all know about the Nazis, the camps, their indescribable cruelty and infinite barbaric practices. I’ve read, watched and listened to hundreds of stories over time. And yet today, I listened to another that is beyond words really. Several Jewish children with assumed identities having been hidden amongst Catholic ones in a Belgian convent. Nazis got wind of. Went there, lined them all up, offered sweets to the winners of a ‘test’ and asked in this order “who can speak French” (all hands go up out of 70 four to ten year olds) “…and Flemish?” (All hands remain up) “and German too…?” (Most hands drop, about 10 remain) “and finally, who also speaks Jewish?” (three very proud kids keep hands up, as speakers of 4 languages they believe they must surely be the winners and be rewarded with the sweets. The SS Nazis had “caught” two 5 year olds and a 6 year old, to be taken away to their deaths.

Such conniving evil in order to murder such innocent victims still has the capacity to leave me deeply shocked. After everything I’ve read and seen already. History is horrible we know this, but hell reserves a special place for the Nazis. Hence why we must never forget their victims and the greatest generations sacrifices that saved us from a fate worse than death.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Visiting Prague Jewish memorials today. Almost 263,00@ Czech Jews were murdered in WW2. One exhibition has the artwork of kids held in death camps or sealed off ghettos. Beautifully crayoned sketches of rainbows, oases, dreaming of home back in Prague, a Mickey Mouse cartoon. Just typical kids musings. Drawn on the slightest bits of scrap paper they could find. Also their final cute leather suitcases and Nazi ‘travel’ documents.

Unbelievable. Sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here