Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Holocaust Memorial Day

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Genocide in Palestine ! Bore off Swansman . There are issues there , yes . A lot of tit for tat violence & obviously the IDF are going to come out on top . To suggest that Israel is systematically killing Palestinians in huge numbers in a way to cause a genocide is completely ludicrous and just demonstrates how heavily prejudiced you are . However I think most people probably already know that about you .

And before you reference the vaccine story the Guardian run , again subsequently turns out to be untrue . ( The Guardian being wrong about Israel what a surprise! ) The govt offered to supply the Palestinians authorities with vaccines but were turned down with the response they have sorted out their own supply and didn’t want any help from Israel. Of course thousands of Arab Israelis have been vaccinated along with the Jewish Israelis and all other citizens that live in the main state of Israel

I have no desire to discuss specifics in this thread. I say there is a genocide in Palestina, you say there isnt. In this thread, lets take it no further than that and let the Holocaust Memorial Day be the Holocaust Memorial Day.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The Holocaust was horrendous and the evil that went on should not be forgotten and neither should the victims.
But what should also never be forgotten is how it begins.
This is something that should not be forgotten,especially as Europe and the west start to eventually recover from this pandemic.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Of course, there has never been any genocide in Palestine -

Yehida Massacre
Khisas Massacre
Qazaza Massacre
Al-Sheikh Village Massacre
Deir Yassin Massacre
Naser Al-Din Massacre
Beit Daras Massacre
The Dahmash Mosque Massacre
Dawayma Massacre
Sharafat Massacre
Kibya Massacre
Kafr Qasem Massacre
Al-Sammou' Massacre
The Sabra and Shatila Massacre
Oyon Qara Massacre
Al-Aqsa Mosque Massacre
The Ibrahimi Mosque Massacre
The Jabalia Massacre
Eretz Checkpoint Massacre
1990 Aqsa Massacre
Tarkumia Massacre.

To name a few.

You haven’t named any genocides you’ve named a list of incidents that have led to a number of people being killed . I could also name a list of about 100 incidents carried out by the PLO, Hamas , Islamic Jihad etc on Israelis that could be classified in the same way as massacres .

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You haven’t named any genocides you’ve named a list of incidents that have led to a number of people being killed . I could also name a list of about 100 incidents carried out by the PLO, Hamas , Islamic Jihad etc on Israelis that could be classified in the same way as massacres .

:ffsparr:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you're on Twitter, follow the Auschwitz Memorial. Each day they tweet people who were born on that date, their country of origin, nationality and generally the reason they were sent to Aschwitz/Birkenau. It started with Poles, then Jews, Soviet soldiers and then onto other categories of people.
https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum

The children are particularly painful to read about, but necessary to remember.

[tweet]1354389019484975105[/tweet]

Cheers for that, I'm not on twitter, but can get around that :)

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Please can people remember the thread title - we should be remembering the victims of this horrendous event in history and not try to score points as to which genocide is the worst. There’s a place for debate, but I don’t feel this thread should be one of them.

It should be something we can all agree on and try to ensure it never happens again.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Please can people remember the thread title - we should be remembering the victims of this horrendous event in history and not try to score points as to which genocide is the worst. There’s a place for debate, but I don’t feel this thread should be one of them.

It should be something we can all agree on and try to ensure it never happens again.

The OP knew exactly what he/she was doing with the carefully worded OP. This ‘debate’ is exactly what was intended.
Just seen your location btw. You live 6 miles away from me

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Absolutely spot on. Sadly I feel it's too late.
[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] if you really want to learn about what went on I can thoroughly recommend the museum which now occupies both camps. I guess it is dark tourism but it's certainly an eye opener and really hammers home why we can never let anything like that happen again.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Absolutely spot on. Sadly I feel it's too late.

[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] if you really want to learn about what went on I can thoroughly recommend the museum which now occupies both camps. I guess it is dark tourism but it's certainly an eye opener and really hammers home why we can never let anything like that happen again.

Thank you for that :thumbsup:
When all these current issues have subsided and we at a point of semi normality.
Mrs AR and myself are planning on going to Europe, probably by train to have a decent break :)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you're on Twitter, follow the Auschwitz Memorial. Each day they tweet people who were born on that date, their country of origin, nationality and generally the reason they were sent to Aschwitz/Birkenau. It started with Poles, then Jews, Soviet soldiers and then onto other categories of people.

This. What the account does through pictures and small bits of information is to humanise the victims, give each one of the 6 million a name, a birthdate, an occupation and a visual representation of who they were. Each of those who perished had an identity that was deliberately erased by an inhumane system.
[tweet]1352345224106840064[/tweet]
[tweet]1350895672044580866[/tweet]
[tweet]1348056964018941952[/tweet]
An excellent book on the subject is this:
hbg-title-9781408705568-5.jpg
An in depth look at the whole Concentration Camp system of Nazi Germany from its beginnings at Dachau through the extermination camps and ending in the forced marches as the authorities attempted to hide what they had done before the end of the war.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I have the boxset of A World At War

Obviously each episode is hard viewing

But the one that covers the holocaust is particularly harrowing

There are no words

Utter madness

Those poor people

Never forget

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone else who wants to score points, settle vendettas or indulge in Whatabouttery on this thread will be banned, no ifs or buts.

Show some respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

I had never seen this twitter account. Putting faces to names makes it much more personal.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Anyone else who wants to score points, settle vendettas or indulge in Whatabouttery on this thread will be banned, no ifs or buts.

Show some respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand my post being removed, although I stand by it 100%.

However, it seems that it's acceptable to be a disgraceful racist on here, to the point of recommending the branding of Jews, but not OK to call such words out?

I thought this place was better than that. Think I'll give it a swerve for a while. Moderators, you should be ashamed (and it's not a flounce, more a disappointed shrug of the shoulders) I've better things to do than knock about with complete scum.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I understand my post being removed, although I stand by it 100%.

However, it seems that it's acceptable to be a disgraceful racist on here, to the point of recommending the branding of Jews, but not OK to call such words out?

I thought this place was better than that. Think I'll give it a swerve for a while. Moderators, you should be ashamed (and it's not a flounce, more a disappointed shrug of the shoulders) I've better things to do than knock about with complete scum.

1: I didn’t remove your post
2: The branding post resulted in a ban and the person who made it is on a final warning. You weren’t the only person who thought he should be kicked out for longer/ever for making it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There were some good programs on to mark this. The Windermere Children is something I’d only vaguely heard of before but there was a good documentary about them as well as a dramatisation on BBC I think.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
1: I didn’t remove your post
2: The branding post resulted in a ban and the person who made it is on a final warning. You weren’t the only person who thought he should be kicked out for longer/ever for making it.
Wasn't saying it was you mate. I'm just not comfortable with being on a forum where someone is allowed to post something like that and not be banned for life. So I'll leave it there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well done for getting this back on track - focus on the Holocaust and all that entails and try to stop it happening again to anybody.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I'm half Hungarian.
Many years ago I met one of my fathers friends, he was an elderly Hungarian man and he sat hunched in an oversized suit, like he was willing the chair to swallow him up.
He sat with us for a couple of hours but hardly said a word then abruptly stood up and left.
After he left my father told me that he was in fact the same age as him my father then being in his early 50's then and that they were old friends.
One day towards the end of WW2 (when Hungary was run by the facist Arrow Cross) he was visiting relatives when he was suddenly bundled into a cellar and told to hide in an old wooden box and told not to come out until someone came for him.
He stayed in the box for hours and eventually when no one came he snuck out.
His whole whole family was gone. I guess he must have been about 10 or 11.

Between 14th May 1944 and 9th July 1944 434,351 Hungarian Jews were deported to Auschwitz. 80% of them were gassed on arrival the remaining 20% were used as slave labour or used in medical experiments.

I lit a candle for him and his family.

Choose love, understanding and kindness folks. It is the only way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here