Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway Meets Hughton

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I know what you mean. Interesting that he has sited Hemed and Rosenior as not just good players but the right sort of personalities. My opinion is that this is where a lot of bigger clubs go wrong - they just buy players who are good but without considering the impact of their personalities on the dressing room.

Balotelli anyone?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No problem with Holloway at all - he just loves his football, and seems like quite a nice chap.

Holloway met fellow Bristolian Kim when she was aged 14, and after marrying, he nursed her through lymphatic cancer. The couple have four children: William, twins Eve and Chloe, and Harriet. The twins were born profoundly deaf, as both Ian and Kim had a recessive form of a certain gene meaning that there was a higher chance that they would have deaf children. The doctors told them that there was only a remote possibility of any other children being deaf, but Harriet was also born deaf. Talking about his children, Holloway said: "it's been a fight all the way along to get proper provision for the girls, especially a good education. There's been rows, tribunals, appeals and endless phone calls. We have been labelled as bolshie parents. My view is that every child in the world has the right to be educated properly and whether your eyes or ears don't work is irrelevant. But the system at the moment makes it difficult.

For the last three years of his QPR career, Holloway commuted daily from Bristol to London, a 250-mile round trip, so the children could attend a deaf school in Bristol. As a result, he developed severe sciatica.[35] They then moved to St Albans when the children were of secondary school age, for the same reason. Holloway has learned sign language, and his quirky media-friendly quotes have made him a high-profile campaigner on deaf issues and concerns.

As you can seem he's not had the easiest of lives either. There was a documentary a few years ago focussing on his family life; I've a lot of respect for him.

I met him once on the sea front at Lyme Regis,I was sat with my dogs,eating a bag of chips,it was about a fortnight after the playoff victory in Cardiff,chatted for about 15 minutes on the Albion,even gave him some of my chips,if I'd known he'd have ended up with that lot I'd have ****ed him off.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
As you can seem he's not had the easiest of lives either. There was a documentary a few years ago focussing on his family life; I've a lot of respect for him.

I find Holloway impossible to dislike. When he left palace he handled himself with rare honesty and candour.

When you think about the life he's had bringing his children up and fighting for their right to an education one can have nothing but absolute respect for the man

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I find Holloway impossible to dislike. When he left palace he handled himself with rare honesty and candour.

When you think about the life he's had bringing his children up and fighting for their right to an education one can have nothing but absolute respect for the man

And I'd imagine he doesn't let anyone or anything disrespect his kids, seems a very decent parent and a person

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cheers for posting this. Thoroughly enjoying listening to this. Two very likeable English blokes and if God forbid we lose Hughton to a Premier League club then I would be quite happy having Holloway as manager. He clearly has a soft spot for us too.
Yeh, that Irish accent didn't give CH away at all, did it!

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Very nice words and the way he words his phrases, always comes across as genuine and likable. Very happy with Chris leading the charge for the forbidden land!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I've gone through phases of liking and disliking him (not actually related to his time with the other lot), but this has given me an awful lot of respect for the bloke. Being willing to fight for his kids like that and sacrifice so he could maintain a balance between his career and his family life is incredibly impressive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't rate Holloway as a manager, but I do as a man. Very eccentric and very likeable.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have never had anything but respect for Ian.
His post match interview a few years ago saying we have got the girl out of the nightclub and into the taxi but we have not quite got her back to the house yet is my all time favourite football quote.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Ian was bad-mouthed by the new yuppy Chinese Villa owner just before the beginning of the season. Was just giving his predictions on what might happen this season in the Championship, saying Villa would probably struggle to go straight back up. Hopefully he's right.

Working on Sky, especially mixing with the Championship managers post match, Holloway is sometimes guilty of blowing the wind up too many jacksies. In his managerial days, he certainly knew how to get a reasonable percentage of his teams into the top flight via the play offs. As others have said, learning more about his private battles has warmed me to the guy.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I find comes across the most when listening to Chris is just how unintelligent he is.

All the best managers are VERY intelligent people, without fail. Hughton is a good manager of average intelligence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've gone through phases of liking and disliking him (not actually related to his time with the other lot), but this has given me an awful lot of respect for the bloke. Being willing to fight for his kids like that and sacrifice so he could maintain a balance between his career and his family life is incredibly impressive.

I know where you're coming from; some of his humour has been embarrassingly contrived. He seems to have toned this down now.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
CH as down to earth as they come, really would not believe he is a football manager if I did not already know of him.

IH? Possibly a great man to have as a friend, seems charming and warm. Never been too sure about his management skills but given the right set of circumstances we can all flourish I believe.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've noticed that Holloway pays huge compliments to every club that he talks about on Sky, not just us. Keeping all his options open. Slippery Nigel.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
When he went to palace I thought clown manager made for a clown club. I HATED him and not just because he managed them, I had always thought he was a massive cock. Since he's been fronting the league coverage I've definitely warmed to him. I always think why is he being so nice about us when he was one of them but watching that has tipped the balance to thinking he's actually alright...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here