Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Holidays in 2021 ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I really hope that holidaying in the UK doesn't become this massive campaign that tries to shame people who don't.

Unfortunately, the UK really doesn't do it for me. I'm lucky enough to live in Sussex, near London, to have lived 4 years in a very scenic part of Wales, have family in the North of England, spend weeks every year in Ireland (obviously not the UK I know) and to have seen a lot of cities and towns through following the Albion. Obviously I've not ticked off everywhere, but I don't have a sense that the UK remains this unexplored treasure trove for me, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not a sun worshiper but I do like to be able to schedule a few hours by a pool or at the beach knowing it's not going to be cold and awkward. I like exploring foreign cities, stopping and trying a bit of food or a beer. I could drive 5 hours to see a new town like Whitby (which is actually somewhere I do want to go), but I doubt the churches, boozers and chippies, whilst no doubt nice, will be a massive new cultural experience for me. Because the weather is often shit, I also find I'm just hemorrhaging money in the UK, particularly trying to keep the kids entertained (2 and 5). I know beaches and walks are free, but we do that most weekends, having a few hours on a chilly beach in a different part of the country doesn't seem like a massive holiday to me. When my kids are older, maybe a bit more of an active/adventure holiday in North Wales might be cool, but not yet.

If we can travel and I can afford it, I'll be heading somewhere overseas. The plan for this year was a week in Austria followed by a few days staying with friends in Munich - might see if I can rearrange it for next year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got quite a ‘bucket list’ of travelling to do over the next few years if I stop working, but really can’t see much being possible even next year. Loads of parts of the UK I want to explore too though so will just do that instead and save the faraway stuff for later. Probably start with a tour of the Scottish Highlands next summer if we’re materially restricted.

The Munros would be a doddle for you. I've done a handful only 275+ to do.

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/walking/munro-bagging/

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm not a sun worshiper but I do like to be able to schedule a few hours by a pool or at the beach...The plan for this year was a week in Austria

You may find the beaches in Austria a bit of a disappointment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Great idea, britain has so much diversity, something for everyone.
I have never been to Scotland, or Northern Ireland, what better time than the next few years.

You may have to be a bit sharpish to visit Northern Ireland while it's still part of Britain and Northern Ireland. Remember? :facepalm:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We were supposed to go to Spain for a 4 day trip a few weeks ago. Parents going to get a bit of sun and watch the lads play cricket at Desert Springs. Lads to have an amazing time playing and training in top notch facilities.

Got the info today that we'll not get the money back for the accommodation for the boys but it will be rolled over to next year. So have rebooked flights for then.

Fortunately the weather here has been bloody gorgeous so I don't feel like we've missed out too much (the kids have though). But unfortunately the weather here is still bloody gorgeous and there's no ****ing cricket on.

Aside from that we will probably just do weekends in the UK. Round Yorkshire etc and down to Brighton to see my stepmum. Just in Yorkshire there are some stunning places to visit.........if we get the weather.

I can just see it though. Lockdown will end, sport will be back on, and it will tip it down for the rest of the year.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
IF I get my money back for my cancelled trip to Canada this year, I hope to spend it somewhere in the UK next year.

Need to help our own businesses get back on the feet where we can.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Golf weekend already cancelled. Have a long weekend in September to Rhodes so could go both ways and a trip to South Africa in November, not holding my breath but hopefully things improve in the next few months

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
:ohmy:

You'll be disappointed with that lack of effort :moo:

Been to Scotland twice, long weekend in Edinburgh and a funeral in Wick. The best thing about the latter was the drive from Inverness airport to Wick. Fantastically scenic. Would love to spend more time in Scotland but the sun of the Greek isles beckons (when we get through this pandemic).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been to Scotland twice, long weekend in Edinburgh and a funeral in Wick. The best thing about the latter was the drive from Inverness airport to Wick. Fantastically scenic. Would love to spend more time in Scotland but the sun of the Greek isles beckons (when we get through this pandemic).

I’m very keen to explore a lot more of Scotland. Been to Edi and Glasgow loads of times through work and had a few long weekends up there and done things like the Edi marathon, but there is so much to see away from the cities I think. Eldest lives in Galashiels - the local scenery there is just stunning (even the drive there from Edi is gorgeous), so goodness knows how the highland and Islands compare.

I’ve got trips booked in August (30th wedding anniversary, Caribbean) and October (golf - well, lash up - in Portugal) and at the moment can’t see either going ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here