Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday- Would you go?????

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
The current UK threat level is Severe and has been since August last year! Meaning that an attack on UK soil is deemed 'highly likely'! Has it stopped any of you going around doing your normal thing?! Has anyone stopped to think of their own safety? Or have things run pretty smoothly the past 12 months!

Maybe seen by some as a little naive in approach and for the record I wouldn't travel to a Country deemed as dangerous by the foreign office but equally I wouldn't not travel to Turkey, Cyprus etc 'just in case'!

I was in Egypt this year and felt safe! Increased check points and armed guards granted but didn't detract from a nice bit of winter sun.

Sadly, nowhere is 100% safe anymore, you just have to make a reasoned decision at the time with the information available!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't go to any, not because of terrorists but because there's better places to go

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Thought I'd offer a perspective as I'm in the business, so to speak.

I visited Tunisia last year as a guest of the Tunisian Tourist Board - to be honest it's a great place to go for the money but it was always going to be a place where something like this was going to happen. Revolution in 2012 to a democracy and the country embracing Western Culture. Therefore it had all the ingredients in this current climate of terrorism - 95% of Tunisians embraced their new found freedom and the 5% who didn't, took action - that appears to be the way of the world these days.

As somebody else has said London, Paris and other European cities are higher risk than a number of holiday destinations. A recent map of Europe and North Africa showing security threat levels showed only Switzerland as being totally safe (if you can say that!)

All I can say is nowhere is 100% safe but some countries are obviously safer than others and it's down to the individual as to how they weigh up their own risk as to a) going on holiday and b) then choosing a destination.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Even though the threat of an attack may be higher in the UK, the fact that westerners are the main targets,suggests that your chances of being a victim of an attack is far higher in North Africa than it is at home, where you are one of 60 million people.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You'd be stupid to go to Tunisia, against Government advice.

Apart from the obvious personal risk, you'd almost certainly have no valid travel insurance.

My brother is on the verge of booking Tunisia via a swiss firm
Im trying to persuade him to go somewhere else but he does seem quite adamant about supporting his colleague who runs a hotel complex out there.

And the swiss firm are offering full travel insurance as normal,as i expect are the other countries still going there

But i guess you are right,you must surely have a problem with insurance if you were booking independently from the UK

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Eight people were gunned to death in Chicago last weekend, and it didn't even get a mention. No one is saying don't visit the U.S.

The chances of being a victim of a terrorist attack are very remote and security will be tight,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I understand Turkey, but why more so Cyprus? I know it is shared with Greece and Turkey but there is a strong buffer zone and the two cultures don't mix.

Eh? I work in Cyprus regularly, there's no sign of fundamentalism there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eight people were gunned to death in Chicago last weekend, and it didn't even get a mention. No one is saying don't visit the U.S.

The chances of being a victim of a terrorist attack are very remote and security will be tight,

This is my feeling on the matter as well. As someone has pointed out the UK is at "severe" as well. Civil unrest would make me rethink, random acts of terrorism no.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd personally say London and Paris are higher risk locations at this moment in time.
Especially this weekend (London).

The only Tourist destinations I'd be wary of visiting right now are Turkey and more so, Cyprus.

Why is there a higher risk this weekend?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I understand Turkey, but why more so Cyprus? I know it is shared with Greece and Turkey but there is a strong buffer zone and the two cultures don't mix.

Eh? I work in Cyprus regularly, there's no sign of fundamentalism there.

Popular Western (British) tourist resort, British/Yank military presence, geographically close to Egypt, Syria and Turkey.
I'm not saying Cyprus is being (or will be) reported as an unsafe destination, I'm just ticking off multiple boxes which may increase the likelihood of an 'incident'.

I will also say that there do not need to be signs of fundamentalism at a location prior to an incident happening. Look at Sousse, Tunis, Paris, Ottowa and Woolwich as examples.

Just be vigilant holiday-goers!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Popular Western (British) tourist resort, British/Yank military presence, geographically close to Egypt, Syria and Turkey.
I'm not saying Cyprus is being (or will be) reported as an unsafe destination, I'm just ticking off multiple boxes which may increase the likelihood of an 'incident'.

I will also say that there do not need to be signs of fundamentalism at a location prior to an incident happening. Look at Sousse, Tunis, Paris, Ottowa and Woolwich as examples.

Just be vigilant holiday-goers!

I agree its geographical position looks precarious but the Turkish/Muslim side and the Greek side of the island have very strict border controls and cannot be crossed by its inhabitants. It would be very difficult for Muslim extremists to set anything up in a Greek tourist area because I don’t think there is a Muslim community for them to blend in with anywhere on the Greek side.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't set the threat levels/locations and wish this wasn't the case, however unfortunately it is.
I'm not in here for any kind of argument, just pointing out what's on high alert and where. I'm off to London tomorrow so it might just pay to be a little extra vigilant.

You should be.....don't buy a hot dog or ice cream from a street vendor, you'll regret it

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

But fewer than 50 in total were shot in Chicago last weekend. That is a significant improvement on the previous 4th of July long weekend. It's a sign of progress, would you believe? But I would definitely recommend against visiting Chicago's south side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here