Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
A week in St Ives beginning August and 5 day break in Whitstable late August.

Think we are going to cancel St Ives trip and re-book something a little nearer ( Suffolk possibly )

Yeah, it'd be really difficult to maintain social distancing with all those wives, cats and kittens around...

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Just booked 5 nights in Prague in November for myself and the mrs, with payment due at check in, will wait a little while before booking flights I think.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Does anyone have reservations about flying because of the environmental damage rather than the risk of catching Covid 19? I'm struggling to believe I can justifying getting on a plane just to take me to have a holiday somewhere else. Not being judgemental, but having all flights cancelled has had an immediate impact on air quality. Anyone else with reservations?

Yup, been decreasing flying for holidays gradually in recent years. If it was just me I doubt I'd fly at all, or only very rarely, as I'm far happier on a train/ferry/bike, and like to see the travel as part of the holiday rather than having two days (or more) of pain-in-the-arse hassle (whilst being treated as a cross between a sheep and a cashpoint machine) added to my holiday time. But there is some compromise required with those I go on holiday with...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Not THAT bloody high.

When I say I am 'happier' on other forms of transport, it's not a fear of flying. More an expression that i actively enjoy a train ride through beautiful scenery, the sensation of riding a bike or waking up on a ferry, crusing past sun soaked Aegean islands. And I am never, ever, more relaxed than I am on a canal.

Whereas airports are brash temples to consumer captalism, aeroplanes should be re-named 'germ-tubes' and our addiction to cheap flights is contributing to the destruction of the planet.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Does anyone have reservations about flying because of the environmental damage rather than the risk of catching Covid 19? I'm struggling to believe I can justifying getting on a plane just to take me to have a holiday somewhere else. Not being judgemental, but having all flights cancelled has had an immediate impact on air quality. Anyone else with reservations?

We feel the same. We have said we wont fly for at least 2 years and maybe not at all. Easier for us as we have already been to many far away places but it would be sad not to build on what the virus has forced on us.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Staying away from aircraft until well into 2021. Can't understand the rush to get onto one. From October onwards this thing will be spiking again.

I have a holiday booked to Gran Canaria in October. I will be cancelling even if I lose the deposit.

Nope, just call me environmentally reckless.Driving to get abroad is a pain from oop north, depending on traffic 5hrs non-stop to Dover before you even start. Have done southern France by car many times but it's a pain and my diesel is still polluting. Train is a possibility but really a plane is quicker when you have limited time for your holiday.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs P and I have two weeks booked off work from Aug 31st, and the original idea was we were going to look at booking something late. Not sure what we'll be doing now though. We've kept the time off booked at work, so will wait and see what July brings.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who is it with? Cruise companies under the general umbrella Cruise Lines International Association announced at the end of last week a voluntary continued pause to all sailings out of USA until 15 September, Europe will follow suit.

They cancelled today ... very happy

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So- nothing from BJ on travel restrictions yesterday. Looks like we may now be waiting until Monday - 29 June for an update re travel corridors etc. It would really be helpful to announce any measures coming in on the 29th ASAP, as there will be some major work to do by airlines, travel agents, tour operators etc to get everything back up and running. Looks like things may start slowly but many companies must be hoping to get something close to a full ‘school summer holiday’ season in from mid-July onwards.

As with many businesses I think we will see a phased return over the summer months, with something closer to normality emerging perhaps from September onwards..

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Have a week booked in a static home sort of thing in Polzeath end of July which we're hoping is open. No word from the site yet but given all the places are self contained and no shared showers etc like a campsite we're hopeful.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Have a week booked in a static home sort of thing in Polzeath end of July which we're hoping is open. No word from the site yet but given all the places are self contained and no shared showers etc like a campsite we're hopeful.

Are you at Valley? We stayed there every year for about 10 years running, but have now sadly outgrown it and have to get a bigger place further out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
TUI only have 9 destinations available to book through the whole of July and August, could be a hint as to where air bridges have been agreed for? Up till yesterday you could book anywhere.

Spain/Balearics/Canaries
Cyprus
Italy(certain areas)
Morocco
Cape Verde
Bulgaria
Portugal
Turkey
Greece

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mexico cancelled (as expected) so rolled it over to next year.

Looks like Turkey or Gran Canaria only options for July/August so will await announcement on Monday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here