Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And I don’t think Portugal is open to the vast majority of third-counties, including the UK, at the moment? I really don’t understand this green list.

The UK’s oldest ally plans to welcome Brits from 17 May. Both nations now effectively with next to no COVID deaths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/portugal-travel-holidays-green-list-uk-covid/
Currently, Portugal’s borders are closed to most Britons, however, ministers have said they hope to welcome British tourists 'restriction-free' from mid-May.

Rita Marques, secretary of state for tourism, had previously told the BBC: "I do believe that Portugal will soon allow restriction-free travel, not only for vaccinated people, but those who are immune or who test negative. We hope to welcome British tourists from 17 May."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And I don’t think Portugal is open to the vast majority of third-counties, including the UK, at the moment? I really don’t understand this green list.

It's simple Johnson and co want to say that summer holidays aren't cancelled and you can still travel aboard. Any restrictions on travel to green countries is not down to the UK, and you have to blame the other country for not letting the Brits in.

You really need to look at the whole list as what the requirements are for when you return from that country to the UK and decide if you want to travel and either have to stay home or in a hotel when you return. But whether you can actually travel to another country is down to that country, and also even if you can travel you may need to undertake some form of quarantine when you arrive, which again isn't down to the Johnson & Co.

To be really useful the UK travel list should have been two columns, listed by country then two colours one for return to the UK and the other for entry to the other country.

So Australia would be green for return to UK but black for entry to Australia. So that anyone wanting a holiday with the fewest restrictions would look for a green/green entry.

Easy really if you just work on the basis that it's not worth going anywhere this summer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK’s oldest ally plans to welcome Brits from 17 May. Both nations now effectively with next to no COVID deaths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/portugal-travel-holidays-green-list-uk-covid/
Currently, Portugal’s borders are closed to most Britons, however, ministers have said they hope to welcome British tourists 'restriction-free' from mid-May.

Rita Marques, secretary of state for tourism, had previously told the BBC: "I do believe that Portugal will soon allow restriction-free travel, not only for vaccinated people, but those who are immune or who test negative. We hope to welcome British tourists from 17 May."

So not currently open but a strong chance It will open on the 17th. I see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By an incredible coincidence, both nations come up with ... 17th May.

It’s almost as if they’ve coordinated this.

Has it though? Whilst I can’t read the exact link, the response from the Portuguese tourism bod reads more like a polite reply to “Will Brits be allowed in on the 17th?” as opposed to anything more.

It’s only 11 days away so we will know soon enough I guess.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has it though? Whilst I can’t read the exact link, the response from the Portuguese tourism bod reads more like a polite reply to “Will Brits be allowed in on the 17th?” as opposed to anything more.

It’s only 11 days away so we will know soon enough I guess.

I do realise that their minister was only quoted as saying “hope”, but I would guess that dual announcements won’t be made.

The short time frame is something we will all get used to, likewise in closing travel bridges.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Motor homing in the UK this year, Yorkshire in June and the
Lakes in July. Will give continental Europe a miss this year, the French seem very triggered at the moment...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A few days in Norfolk booked, definitely not looking to going abroad until next year at the earliest.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
James O’Brien, Sheila Fogarty and their must researchers must be liars.

It was mentioned several times today, prices contrasted to those before today.

Perhaps they were checking budget airlines, which operate fluid pricing based on demand, literally as searching.

Isn’t £200 for June in a non school holiday week, very expensive, in any other year for shorthaul?

Haven’t seen anything they’ve said, but I’ve been monitoring Portugal for a few weeks in the hope it would go green. June/July prices have barely moved, including today. If you want a peak Saturday flight then yes they might be expensive, but even a little flexibility means you can get a cheap deal. £150-200 is about the going rate in ‘normal’ times - I’ve been to Portugal every year out of season (end September) for the last 15 years or so and it’s usually £150-200 or so with baggage so no, it’s not expensive.

I’ve just booked a couple of flights to Faro with checked baggage at very agreeable times, total £340.

Example July week

2FCC880D-6574-4262-97EC-5AC06D85A8C1.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I try and look on the bright side of life when I can, and one Corona benefit I have previously mentioned is the fact ski and snowboard companies have a lot of surplus stuff this season. Burton had a sale last week and pretty much everything was in stock and reduced....usually it’s the crap people don’t want and/or extreme sizes. I have just taken delivery of a brand new board and bindings for 30% reduction. My previous board was nearing its end and I had my mind on this new board before the pandemic struck....I finally got it but the 2021 model.

Just need a holiday so I can use it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I try and look on the bright side of life when I can, and one Corona benefit I have previously mentioned is the fact ski and snowboard companies have a lot of surplus stuff this season. Burton had a sale last week and pretty much everything was in stock and reduced....usually it’s the crap people don’t want and/or extreme sizes. I have just taken delivery of a brand new board and bindings for 30% reduction. My previous board was nearing its end and I had my mind on this new board before the pandemic struck....I finally got it but the 2021 model.

Just need a holiday so I can use it.

Never mind there is always Aviemore. :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Scotlands out, They're already extending Hadrians wall. I'd be thinking Box Hill, or Devils Dyke!! :laugh:

I was about to advise him to get in quick, before they announce independence!

Your two suggestions are both quite steep actually, but just missing one vital ingredient . . . snow. :eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here