Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are off to north Devon in a few days. Rented house, self catering, a walk to Croyde beach. I am not happy; disturbed sleep, anxiety about distancing all made worse by rumours of massive crowds owing to the foreign holiday problems. I may have to revive the 'if you were close enough for me to punch you in the face you were too close' rule that has served me so well in the local supermarkets, here.....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After 6 weeks in Sunny Shoreham, I had to go back to work last week, so summer hols in Chi!

Sussex all the way.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We are off to north Devon in a few days. Rented house, self catering, a walk to Croyde beach. I am not happy; disturbed sleep, anxiety about distancing all made worse by rumours of massive crowds owing to the foreign holiday problems. I may have to revive the 'if you were close enough for me to punch you in the face you were too close' rule that has served me so well in the local supermarkets, here.....

Having returned from Norfolk, there was plenty of room on the beaches (as long as you aren't one of the dipshits who plonks their stuff on the 1st bit of sand next to the car park) and the crowds were as per any school summer holiday period which is busy but manageable. Evening walks on the beach were delightful.

My biggest gripe were the pubs. Every single one had different rules from order online and your beers appear eventually to just stand a bit back from the bar and shout mate. There was no consistency and a lot of confusion. Equally, my mrs wanted to have a look around some village shops. That was a massive pain owing to rain, masks and only 2 or 3 people being allowed in at a time. Me and the boys soon got her to sack that off. 2 metres in those places was impossible. The seafront shops in the likes of Woolacombe will be a mare.

Walking the coastal routes and the like is the way forward.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having returned from Norfolk, there was plenty of room on the beaches (as long as you aren't one of the dipshits who plonks their stuff on the 1st bit of sand next to the car park) and the crowds were as per any school summer holiday period which is busy but manageable. Evening walks on the beach were delightful.

My biggest gripe were the pubs. Every single one had different rules from order online and your beers appear eventually to just stand a bit back from the bar and shout mate. There was no consistency and a lot of confusion. Equally, my mrs wanted to have a look around some village shops. That was a massive pain owing to rain, masks and only 2 or 3 people being allowed in at a time. Me and the boys soon got her to sack that off. 2 metres in those places was impossible. The seafront shops in the likes of Woolacombe will be a mare.

Walking the coastal routes and the like is the way forward.

One benefit of only really being able to have a holiday away in Winter is the lack of crowds...hoping it will be the same this coming one

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I could really do with the UK government ending their ridiculous quarantine for passengers returning from Sweden. Cases and deaths are very low over there now but I guess it's not a glamorous destination so no one cares too much.

And they didn't lockdown.

Maybe they don't want to draw too much attention to that either....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Lost a holiday to Sardinia booked pre Covid but rolled until next year.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would book a holiday abroad for this summer post lockdown.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Currently enjoying a few weeks in the Austrian Alps. Plenty of walking and cycling at a safe distance. Bars and restaurants are all open, with no formal restrictions, so we are maintaining our own distancing. Masks must be worn in shops, banks and post offices. The only crowds are around the bathing lakes. Austria is currently on the UK’s safe list and vice versa.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
There is no end date. I think at one point Gov said the measures would be reviewed every 2 weeks, but also said they are under constant review and can be changed at any time.

Thanks for information - as you say I believed it was to be reviewed after two weeks (this coming Saturday) but searching found no further details on this and with ever changing situation worsening in UK and Spain plus worldwide not expecting it to be lifted in near future - Have now cancelled my August 14th flight and moved it to same week next year

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Lost a holiday to Sardinia booked pre Covid but rolled until next year.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would book a holiday abroad for this summer post lockdown.

Who’s to say COVID won’t be here next year? I’m off on Wednesday, not going to waste a year of my life sitting around in fear of a virus, if you’re older or vulnerable I can understand reluctance but providing you take precautions there is no reason not to go away this year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who’s to say COVID won’t be here next year? I’m off on Wednesday, not going to waste a year of my life sitting around in fear of a virus, if you’re older or vulnerable I can understand reluctance but providing you take precautions there is no reason not to go away this year.

My sentiments as well, life goes on

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I've no issue with catching the virus itself - otherwise I wouldn't go out. I'm more concerned about standing around in airports for hours waiting for everyone to tell me I'm not dying, sitting on aeroplane with a mask on and then getting to my destination without having a clue what particular "rules" are being applied there, or whether the government will suddenly decide I've got to quarantine when I get back. Or whether my accommodation is still available.

I was genuinely baffled so many people thought it was ok to go to Spain at such short notice when the government was clearly so jittery about the virus spreading.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've no issue with catching the virus itself - otherwise I wouldn't go out. I'm more concerned about standing around in airports for hours waiting for everyone to tell me I'm not dying, sitting on aeroplane with a mask on and then getting to my destination without having a clue what particular "rules" are being applied there, or whether the government will suddenly decide I've got to quarantine when I get back. Or whether my accommodation is still available.

I was genuinely baffled so many people thought it was ok to go to Spain at such short notice when the government was clearly so jittery about the virus spreading.

I’m not sure anyone did think it was completely okay. I have booked a trip to Spain in October. I’m fully aware of the issues, will also reassess nearer the time, and I’ve made a fully informed decision to book this with the associated risks you mention in your post. This, in my opinion, is currently “okay.” If it’s still okay in October I’ll go.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

most people i know that went over there did it as a punt. They got in early and said it was worth it.

I agree Spain is more of a punt than say Greece which looks all good for a holiday.

If people are open to what could happen when they book then good luck to them. Holidays in the UK are ok but they don't really compare on many levels so let people enjoy it. Just be aware that things could change if your booking certain countries.

Not everyone is terrified so are getting on with enjoying what their hard earned money can allow them to.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I mean if you’re genuinely going away to a foreign country without doing your research before hand around rules etc then you really shouldn’t be going away, would be totally ignorant.

And I think, the Spain issue will certainly have made people realise that there is a chance of quarantine measures being introduced at short to no notice, I had thought about that anyway and again, anyone who is travelling abroad during a global pandemic and isn’t aware things could go wrong very quickly is silly. I’m well aware of the risks, I could get to Kefalonia on Wednesday and be selected for random testing and totally asymptomatically have the virus.

There is many risks, but like I said in my previous post the idea that this time next year the virus may still be here with no vaccine, means I’m not willing to wait, if someone could tell me by October the vaccine will come and it will all be dandy I would wait but we all know that probably won’t happen. It’s up to everyone’s personal situation, the risks are there and known.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL

Very much this.

As posted earlier in the thread have been to Spain and back prior to quarantine being re-introduced to visit family.. Am now looking to get away for a week in September.

Given the short notice position of potential quarantines being introduced / local restrictions etc, I am holding back from booking anywhere until a few weeks out, and will use free cancellation options on booking.com & airline issued "flight vouchers" from trips cancelled earlier in the year to get there; that way, if anything does go wrong, then the risk is minimised and my "cash in hand" is relatively untouched.

If a quarantine is brought in whilst I am travelling, then not too big an issue as am working from home

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very much this.

As posted earlier in the thread have been to Spain and back prior to quarantine being re-introduced to visit family.. Am now looking to get away for a week in September.

Given the short notice position of potential quarantines being introduced / local restrictions etc, I am holding back from booking anywhere until a few weeks out, and will use free cancellation options on booking.com & airline issued "flight vouchers" from trips cancelled earlier in the year to get there; that way, if anything does go wrong, then the risk is minimised and my "cash in hand" is relatively untouched.

If a quarantine is brought in whilst I am travelling, then not too big an issue as am working from home

Be careful, some airlines are tightening up now on new bookings. I.e if you book now, you know the risks. Mainly this is around ability to get refunds or if you choose not to travel

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Holidays in the UK are ok but they don't really compare on many levels so let people enjoy it.

Quite. I’d much rather wear Speedos and aviators on the beach as opposed to a hat and scarf. My 6-pack is wasted under a zipped up coat plus two other layers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here