Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Going to my timeshare in Aberdeenshire.

Love it there. Fabulous walks, great scenery, great local produce.

Only problem is Jimmy Krankie is keeping the pool closed at the health club.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Because that what the government is advising to do, irrespective of whether you agree with them or not. Unless there are zero covid cases how can you be 100% sure you won't get infected. Unless 100% of people on an island are tested how do you know if its is 100% clear, zero untested cases doesn't account for those who are asymptomatic.
I think we can agree to disagree on this one. There's always an element of risk when you step outside the door but I strongly believe the government have got it wrong this time lumping Spain and all the islands into one, I don't need to quarantine when I'm out and about in bars and pubs in London why should I with a place that has hardly any cases and far far fewer deaths than London even at this time.

Regardless, I won't get to have that dilemma as my Ibiza flights in 2 weeks time have just got cancelled !!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Looking to get away in September to Cornwall for a week but most places booked now but will keep looking. Makes it difficult as we take our four legged friend with us

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Because that what the government is advising to do, irrespective of whether you agree with them or not. Unless there are zero covid cases how can you be 100% sure you won't get infected. Unless 100% of people on an island are tested how do you know if its is 100% clear, zero untested cases doesn't account for those who are asymptomatic.

You can't be sure you won't be infected wherever you go or whatever you do.

Following that logic no one would go out at all.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I strongly believe the government have got it wrong this time lumping Spain and all the islands into one, I don't need to quarantine when I'm out and about in bars and pubs in London why should I with a place that has hardly any cases and far far fewer deaths than London even at this time.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

It's a tough one. We have a home in the Canaries and the issue there (in March) was the vast number of people decamping from Madrid and Barcelona and from a situation well under control it quickly deteriorated.

Maybe the number of cases in Balaerics and Canraies is fairly low right now but I wouldn't put money on it being so in 2 weeks time. I suspect it's already shooting up, just not got through to testing or symptomatic cases yet

Could be wrong of course but there's enough warning signs there. Pity Spain won't shut down internal travel from the 'hotspots', that might have helped

Edit: Can't speak for Balaerics but active cases in Canaries have doubled in last 2 weeks. Smallish numbers admittedly but that's how this thing gets going

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Both our planned holidays have been cancelled one was due to take place in May and we have had a full refund the second is a cruise which was planned for September but has now also been cancelled.

The cruise company have offered should we rebook for 2021 we can have an additional 10% holiday value for free which means we can upgrade cabin and drinks package at no additional cost to us or just request a full refund so probably going to rebook I can't see any risk in doing so the new booking will still be covered by ABTA and our travel insurance company AXXA are saying they will cover Covid issues

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We inadvisedly decided to join family in the Gower today. We live in Somerset - satnav said two and a half hours. We set off early, but thought best to allow three hours. Took us an hour and a half to clear the traffic around the M4/M5 junction (accident on M5 southbound caused havoc on M4, with people looking for alternative routes). Traffic then horrendous around Brynglas tunnel. Eventually gave up due to closure of M4 at J45 (queues back beyond J42). It had taken us over three hours to get to the services at J36, and the satnav was telling us another two hours to go! I realise it was pretty stupid to attempt such a trip on a scorching Friday in July, but it reminded me why holidaying in the UK can be such a pain!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was all set for a holiday to the Canaries end of August, booked pre Covid. booked a hotel I’ve stayed at before. BA Moved flights from LGW to LHR so all good.

Now found out hotel hasn’t opened, was due to yesterday but now pushed back to 28th Aug - 1 day before due to go [emoji849]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a tough one. We have a home in the Canaries and the issue there (in March) was the vast number of people decamping from Madrid and Barcelona and from a situation well under control it quickly deteriorated.

Maybe the number of cases in Balaerics and Canraies is fairly low right now but I wouldn't put money on it being so in 2 weeks time. I suspect it's already shooting up, just not got through to testing or symptomatic cases yet

Could be wrong of course but there's enough warning signs there. Pity Spain won't shut down internal travel from the 'hotspots', that might have helped

Edit: Can't speak for Balaerics but active cases in Canaries have doubled in last 2 weeks. Smallish numbers admittedly but that's how this thing gets going

Hi,

Did you or the company make a decision on your booked cruise?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was all set for a holiday to the Canaries end of August, booked pre Covid. booked a hotel I’ve stayed at before. BA Moved flights from LGW to LHR so all good.

Now found out hotel hasn’t opened, was due to yesterday but now pushed back to 28th Aug - 1 day before due to go [emoji849]

Sadly the majority of hotels are shut, we were moved to a different one yesterday as the previous one closes tomorrow.

At least we weren't forced home like Jet2 people

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Hi, anyone know when the UK quarantine on return from Spain expires or when next reviewed

There is no end date. I think at one point Gov said the measures would be reviewed every 2 weeks, but also said they are under constant review and can be changed at any time.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Hi, anyone know when the UK quarantine on return from Spain expires or when next reviewed

FCO advice is highly unlikely to change, cases are still increasing in Spain. Unfortunately, air bridges between the Spanish islands are unworkable, saddens me as I’ve met some wonderful people in the Balearics who I know businesses will be under threat now, with likely the whole of peak summer lost.

I have to go back to BA on the 9th to get a refund of my deposit for a holiday on the 30th August as I spoke to them the other day and they said they will only refund me if the FCO advice is still in place on the date my holiday balance is due. They’ve been good throughout most of this so I won’t complain, just annoying as it’s clearly not going to change.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Lost two weeks in Canada and a week in San Sebastian. Don't want the stress of having another try, so may just wait till next year.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Was meant to have a trip around the north of Spain with some friends and later in August fly home and have a couple of weeks in Brighton. Now I'm just going to the north with my girlfriend and god knows when I'll be able to get home again. No point going back just to self isolate though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hi,

Did you or the company make a decision on your booked cruise?

Thankfully they cancelled the cruise 4 days before we had to pay the balance so we got the deposit back. On top of that, our flights to Barcelona (booked ages before virus kicked off) were cancelled last week so have got the money back for those too.

Can't see any hope for cruises until vaccine developed

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I could really do with the UK government ending their ridiculous quarantine for passengers returning from Sweden. Cases and deaths are very low over there now but I guess it's not a glamorous destination so no one cares too much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thankfully they cancelled the cruise 4 days before we had to pay the balance so we got the deposit back. On top of that, our flights to Barcelona (booked ages before virus kicked off) were cancelled last week so have got the money back for those too.

Can't see any hope for cruises until vaccine developed

Great news, getting all your money back and any worry’s gone.

Can catch up on holidays once things are back to the (new) normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here