holdup leaving life

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
I know a few of you on here go to holdup the indie night on saturdays at life, well from sat feb 18th it will no longer be there, its moving up the ramp to the tube (formerly the funky buddha lounge )

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Indie Nights at the Arc used to be epic, they stopped groups of dickheads come in and taking over the night. now it just seems like groups of mongy lads perving over the one girl in the club.not a fan of the indie night or life anymore or maybe i just got old.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
was about to say the opposite. Life is good but 'indie' nights there are on saturdays f***ing GASH. just play killers on repeat all night. terrible.

Really? I dunno, didn't go as much last year. Never heard 'em play Killers. Nice bit of Pulp last time. There always seemed to be more chavs than before there recently.

Stonelove at Digi is probably still the best, but I ain't even been there since February :eek:ldman:

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
I thought from the thread title you were having second thoughts about assisted suicide.

Boy do I feel old and out of touch.

A couple of reasons for the switch have been mentioned here, we can now be more picky who we let in and our music can be a lot more discerning. Bring on the likes of gruff Rhys Veronica falls and yuck to name but three. Is dead hard to play them in a 600 capacity venuejust down from west st!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A couple of reasons for the switch have been mentioned here, we can now be more picky who we let in and our music can be a lot more discerning. Bring on the likes of gruff Rhys Veronica falls and yuck to name but three. Is dead hard to play them in a 600 capacity venuejust down from west st!

How's things going at Sticky Mikes? I have been there a number of times and asked after you but you're never there.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Really? I dunno, didn't go as much last year. Never heard 'em play Killers. Nice bit of Pulp last time. There always seemed to be more chavs than before there recently.

Stonelove at Digi is probably still the best, but I ain't even been there since February :eek:ldman:

Can't stand life or digital, probably the two worst clubs in Brighton. To such an extent that I've lost all my connection with the indie scene despite it being my favourite genre. Oh for a good indie night at audio or concorde.

I will give the Tube a go though mr Moonraker.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

This all sounds very promising. All power to you dear fellow :)

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
In regards to Sticky Mike's I haven't been there since October, I will cite musical differences as the reason and was bought out. Had a look round the Tube today, think it's going to be great, really excited about it. We should be able to play a lot more new and cutting edge stuff without becoming to obscure. One of the things we always aim for with holdup is that its not too cool for school, its a Saturday night after all and we hope its a place that after a shitty week you can come to, get pissed and sing and dance to your hearts content.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In regards to Sticky Mike's I haven't been there since October, I will cite musical differences as the reason and was bought out. Had a look round the Tube today, think it's going to be great, really excited about it. We should be able to play a lot more new and cutting edge stuff without becoming to obscure. One of the things we always aim for with holdup is that its not too cool for school, its a Saturday night after all and we hope its a place that after a shitty week you can come to, get pissed and sing and dance to your hearts content.

Ah, that explains it. I thought you were avoiding me ;-)

I like The Tube as a venue, good luck with venture.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good system in the tube. A mate of mine puts Schtumm on there and the sound is double good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good system in the tube. A mate of mine puts Schtumm on there and the sound is double good.

As a space it works really well I think....and it's LOUD!

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
just to let you know tomorrow is 8 years to the day we opened holdups doors for the first time with shaun ryder djing :)

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Just a bump to say this saturday is the last ever holdup at arc/life,

here is their blurb......

After 8 years rocking the seafront Holdup! is moving along the seafront!
On Feb 18th and every Saturday thereafter you will find the Holdup! gang at THE TUBE, we will be opening our doors from 11 -4am for the same high jinks and classic indie fun plus we are also keeping our £5 entry fee, the same price since 2004!
Expect the best new indie tunes with some old classics thrown in for good measure, and for upcoming guests and special events follow us @holdupbrighton or join our holdup facebook group.

See you down the front.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks to anyone who came down last night at our first holdup at the tube, feels like the shackles have been removed, was great fun, dont accept pale imitations.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Saturday 17th March (tomorrow) will be the last ever Holdup! all great things come to an end.... we would like to thank each and everyone you who have attended and danced the night away over the last 8 years special thanks to our DJ'S Muffy Hunter, Judge Vilhelm, Dylan Wickham, David Walker and Oliver Partridge
also special thanks to Neil Macaninch and Emma Wickham for being lovely and horrible in equal measures on the till!
We have loved Holdup! and it will always have a special place in our hearts, so if you fancy one last drunken prance around to some indie goodness come down tomorrow and say goodbye.
thank you all and see you down the front xxxx

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
You're joking. That is the only decent club night on a Saturday (other than the 80s night at The Haunt).

Why are you ending it mate, if you don't mind me asking?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports