Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry geezer, you have lost me there........ there is only one variable that is unknown here, did she have other problems that lent themselves to her taking her life? If it emerges in the fullness of time that she didnt, that she was a happy person in a fine family relationship with two children and a decent career, then and only then can we know for certain that the prank call directly led to her suicide, until then I will reserve judgement on the issue of blame, not that my opinion matters much in the grand scheme.

It has been said that there were a set of circumstances that have triggered her tragic suicide.

The variables to me are quite irrelevant because none of them could have foreseen her actions and none of them were sinister, intended or likely for her to take such an extreme action.

Maybe worth a look at the hospitals original reaction to her role as the 'duped' and then the presses intrusion thereafter, but non is going to offer up much, other than sadness at the eventual outcome.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I just find it hard to believe a Mother would chose to abandon her children because of something like this. From all accounts she was a good mother so it's a well over the top reaction to leave her family behind like that on such a short notice action.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Got to agree with big gully really, it was mildly amusing prank that led to a tragedy, nobody really knows the circumstances of the lady who sadly took her own life, but i really dont think that the dj's can be vilified.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Apparently it was also reported in new zealand that prince william was "incandescent" with rage about the incident , and demanded that heads should roll, a position that that if true, the royal pr machine has managed to cover up nicely since the suicide.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Got to agree with big gully really, it was mildly amusing prank that led to a tragedy, nobody really knows the circumstances of the lady who sadly took her own life, but i really dont think that the dj's can be vilified.

Exactly. People have been playing practical jokes on each other and having a laugh at other people's expense ever since the first caveman put on a sabre-toothed tiger skin, jumped out at his mate and went "Waaargh!" It was a tragic set of circumstances and the DJs are not to blame.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well Prince Charles thought the prank funny. So perhaps it is the Royal "we".
We all thought it was funny until we heard of the death of the nurse,... didn't we? ...but at the core you have to acknowledge that the prime objective of a prank call like this is to publically humiliate and demean the target for the purpose of entertainment.... I will bow out of this debate now, all this going round in circles is making me dizzy.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exactly. People have been playing practical jokes on each other and having a laugh at other people's expense since the first caveman put on a sabre-toothed tiger skin, jumped out at his mate and went "Waaargh!"

I rarely openly laugh at my computer monitor (somehow feels weird), but I did at that comment! :lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
.........so it's a well over the top reaction to leave her family behind like that on such a short notice action.
Aaaahhh I see, so you are saying she is to blame for killing herself?

[this is my last post on this thread, I promise]

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We all thought it was funny until we heard of the death of the nurse,... didn't we? ...but at the core you have to acknowledge that the prime objective of a prank call like this is to publically humiliate and demean the target for the purpose of entertainment.... I will bow out of this debate now, all this going round in circles is making me dizzy.

His comment was made after her death had been announced.

As for the prank, I don't think its was even close to demeaning anyone. The questions asked stayed clean, slightly inqusistive and in no way aimed to make the person have to make a fool of themselves and give stupid answers.

As far as pranks went it was G rated in its content.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you have to take Prince Charles' reaction with a pinch of salt. He is an international figure and his comments could have wide reaching effects if he chooses the wrong ones. If he was to express anger at the hospital people could lose jobs for an innocent mistake, if he was to attack the DJs his words could be seen as interfering in the politics of Australia (as I gather media regulation is an issue there), and Australia as a country isn't the most enamoured with the Royal family as it is. He understand the far reaching implications of his words and has chosen to diplomatically try to ease things.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not sure there is any reason to slate our colonial convict cousins down under just because a couple of DJs made, what most would at first consider, a quite harmless prank. To bang on about them finding the royal family funny as being childish, well, surprise surprise, plenty of humour is. Hugh Dennis regularly puts on voices to ridicule the royals on Mock the Week. As for the comments about them advising the nurses that they are being recorded potentially for broadcast would defeat the purpose of that and any other prank call. Having said that, they should have edited the broadcast to exclude any comments made about the Duchess' condition and they will have to submit evidence that they did try to ring the hospital to get permission to broadcast from the nurses, who no doubt would have refused had they got the message.

Hospital still seem to be diverting attention quite successfully and maybe the reason the radio station couldn't get through is that the hospital don't actual employ receptionists!!!

What a daft post, as for th bit I've highlighted, whether or not it defeats the purpose or not they ARE LEGALLY OBLIGED TO INFORM THE RECIPIENT THAT THEY ARE BEING RECORDED AND THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGED TO SEEK PERMISSION TO BROADCAST THE CALL. Stupid or not, it's not their decision to make.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Maybe my point was too subtle for you...............I honestly cant think even here any comedians/radio presenters would bother with this stunt, even the anti Royals. It is childish and puerile, just like phoning up the Germans about their gas bill. That's the point though, where's the comedy in this stunt.. I note one of them said in the interview today that they never thought it would get through to anyone...................so why bother then?

already said oz commercial radio is out of control so we agree there , i saw nothing subtle in your post i'm afraid ,just another swipe at oz .........you can't tar a whole nation with the same brush because some uppity fuckwhit on a radio station precipitates an unfortunate suicide with an idiotic stunt......... a bit like saying english people (of which i am one) are all bell-ends because rio ferdinand is one....!!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't like Australians and I don't like the Royal family so the reason why I am so interested in this thread escapes me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't like Australians and I don't like the Royal family so the reason why I am so interested in this thread escapes me.
That's a bit like me on the 'Ticket Exchange' thread. I think I've made the second-most number of posts on that - and I've never even used the Exchange! :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I am struck by the continuous repetition by the DJs in the interviews about how 'no one could have foreseen...'

Actually, for someone who is prepared to do the thinking, it's not that hard to seen possible negative consequences for those nurses (disciplinary action and ridicule), the patient (having medical details disclosed), the hospital (loss of status as preferred hospital of the royals), the radio station (loss of their licence due to breaking the law and code of conduct).

Even without a suicide, all of this should have been enough to stop a radio station from going ahead with the broadcast. The problem seems to be that no one from 2Day Radio was relating to the prank as involving real people with real consequences to their lives. It was only when the female DJ asked 'was she a mother?' on hearing about the death that she got that she had been messing around with the lives of a real human being.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am struck by the continuous repetition by the DJs in the interviews about how 'no one could have foreseen...'

Actually, for someone who is prepared to do the thinking, it's not that hard to seen possible negative consequences for those nurses (disciplinary action and ridicule), the patient (having medical details disclosed), the hospital (loss of status as preferred hospital of the royals), the radio station (loss of their licence due to breaking the law and code of conduct).

Even without a suicide, all of this should have been enough to stop a radio station from going ahead with the broadcast. The problem seems to be that no one from 2Day Radio was relating to the prank as involving real people with real consequences to their lives. It was only when the female DJ asked 'was she a mother?' on hearing about the death that she got that she had been messing around with the lives of a real human being.

Did they really expect to get through ??

Doubt it, especially with the grotesque impersonation, they expected some interaction with a nurse politely telling them to go away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here