Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillary Clinton email probe reopened by FBI director

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It does make you wonder what would have occurred had a decent Republican candidate emerged. All those on the primary ballots had flaws. But someone like Ryan didn't feel the need to stand.
Absolutely. How on earth have the Americans gotten themselves into this state?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Turns out the probe isn't being re-opened, and the email isn't Mrs. Clinton's.

Still, thanks for playing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37809684
Hillary Clinton has urged the FBI to explain without delay why it is carrying out a new investigation into her use of emails.

Americans "deserve to get the full and complete facts immediately," she said.

The FBI says it has new emails linked to her use of a private server when she was secretary of state.

Republican presidential rival Donald Trump said the move, announced 11 days before the election, was the "biggest political scandal since Watergate".

The latest emails were discovered as part of a separate investigation into the estranged husband of top Clinton aide, Huma Abedin.

Devices belonging to her and Anthony Weiner, a former high-flying congressman, were seized in an investigation into whether he sent sexually explicit emails to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina

The discovery of the new emails was revealed by FBI director James Comey in a letter to Congress on Friday.

Mr Comey said while he did not yet know the significance of the findings, the FBI would investigate if any of the emails contained classified information.

Democrat presidential candidate Mrs Clinton said she was "confident" the investigation into the emails would not change the FBI's original finding in July.

The FBI decided she should not be prosecuted for her use of a private email server as secretary of state - a position she held between 2009 and 2013.

"It's imperative that the bureau explain this issue in question, whatever it is, without any delay," she told reporters on the campaign trail in Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday.

A senior media adviser on her campaign, James Rubin, told the BBC on Saturday that "when this is all over, this is going to be a gigantic tempest in a teapot".

He also suggested the FBI decided to send the letter now to prevent it being criticised by the Republicans after the election.

For his part, Donald Trump told a crowd of supporters at a rally in Iowa: "It's everybody's hope that justice at last can be delivered."

"The FBI would never have reopened this case at this time unless it were a most egregious criminal offence."

He compared the latest development to that of the 1970s Watergate scandal that engulfed then-Republican President Richard Nixon.

(Article continues, see link for full text)

Ok, maybe not a re-opening of the old investigation (as it was never closed, just described as completed) however This article seems to suggest it relates to newly discovered e-mails sent by Clinton which were discovered as a part of another investigation are now being investigated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does make you wonder what would have occurred had a decent Republican candidate emerged. All those on the primary ballots had flaws. But someone like Ryan didn't feel the need to stand.
I can only assume there was the possibility of ruining his career through the process of 'guilty by association' :lolol:

Sharing the same stage as that frightening display of whackjobs, it could be hard to rise above those fruitloops yet considerably easier to get dragged down to their level.

Better to be the person riding in on a white horse (blue elephant) to save everybody.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Any good Republican would have crushed Clinton. Even if Trump dialled it back a bit and without the sexual assault allegations he could have squeaked it.

Conversely, pretty much any other Democrat would have turned this into a landslide. Even Sanders, controversial as he was, polled a lot better against Trump than Clinton was at the time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Any good Republican would have crushed Clinton. Even if Trump dialled it back a bit and without the sexual assault allegations he could have squeaked it.

Conversely, pretty much any other Democrat would have turned this into a landslide. Even Sanders, controversial as he was, polled a lot better against Trump than Clinton was at the time.
It's still not a given that Clinton will win. Even with Trump obviously being such a fool, he is only about 5 points behind in polls. There could well be a Brexit moment coming and unlike Brexit, I am pretty unhappy about it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It's still not a given that Clinton will win. Even with Trump obviously being such a fool, he is only about 5 points behind in polls. There could well be a Brexit moment coming and unlike Brexit, I am pretty unhappy about it.

5 points behind in national polls obviously matters, but isn't key in the American system. He needs to swing a lot of states against polling to have any chance of winning, about 6 or 7 I think.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

All human beings have some flaws but I wouldn't have said the Republican line-up was hopeless. There were some nut-jobs there but I thought Rubio and Kasich were decent middle of the road candidates (moderate by GOP standards that is). That it came down to a race between Trump and Cruz is an indictment of the state of the Republican party

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm just amazed with the fact that despite his numerous mistakes, bluster and ridiculous accusations about election fraud he is still in the running.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
All human beings have some flaws but I wouldn't have said the Republican line-up was hopeless. There were some nut-jobs there but I thought Rubio and Kasich were decent middle of the road candidates (moderate by GOP standards that is). That it came down to a race between Trump and Cruz is an indictment of the state of the Republican party

I think that's a fair assessment. While Trump is bad, Cruz would have been way worse because he's competent, way more electable and an extremist, so I'm glad Trump was the candidate in a way. Rubio or Kasich would, probably, have been OK as both candidates and even President.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You do realise the only one posturing against Russia is Hillary right? :lolol:

DT has outright said he wants to be allied with Russia.

You do realise this is not Batman and Spiderman vs The Joker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here