Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Hiked price for RING Doorbell plan

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Tapo has an app you receive movement alerts straight to your phone just like the ring. I have the wired ones easy for me I guess as I’m a sparks. I primarily got them to watch over work van at night.

I use tapo/kasa for smart lighting/pluhs the app is pretty decent and the oldest bulb is still going strong after 7 years.

I'd be interested to see how the camera software compares as they seem cheaper than ring products and tp link hardware is generally decent.

I replaced our plusnet router with a tp-link one mesh system, it performs very well considering we have 8 ring cameras, simplisafe alarm, 9 sonos products, a robot hoover and countless smart plug/bulbs as well as a home office. We have 38 devices connected in total and it works faultlessly with full coverage including the garden.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I use tapo/kasa for smart lighting/pluhs the app is pretty decent and the oldest bulb is still going strong after 7 years.

I'd be interested to see how the camera software compares as they seem cheaper than ring products and tp link hardware is generally decent.

I replaced our plusnet router with a tp-link one mesh system, it performs very well considering we have 8 ring cameras, simplisafe alarm, 9 sonos products, a robot hoover and countless smart plug/bulbs as well as a home office. We have 38 devices connected in total and it works faultlessly with full coverage including the garden.
Just logged on to our drive camera is of good quality

Attachments

• IMG_0287.png
    IMG_0287.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 45

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My home security strategy is to have a house full of worthless tat that I could replace at a car boot sale it it came to it.

But even if you have some expensive stuff i'd bin off the subscription. Just having the ring bell there not working might be enough to deter a burglar
That used to be my security strategy too - most expensive single item was an £800 laptop.

Several years ago I had a free property security review and I was very surprised to be made aware that my most valuable asset was in fact my identity. If someone broke in, how quick / easy would it be to find a passport, bank statement, utility bill, driving licence, etc.

Surely someone will come up with a way to enable my Ring clips to be stored on my cloud for free [e.g. One Drive] rather than be extorted by Ring plc to use theirs.
Anyway for Ring to be of any use, your router must be powered up [for internet connection].
Cut the power [our leccy meter is outside] and Ring is bypassed anyways.

Dog it is, then.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Just logged on to our drive camera is of good quality
I'd say that's better than our ring camera. In mist or poor weather it can be a bit rubbish.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We were open with our neighbours and they were happy and two of them have shared access to the cameras. They are also only set trigger when movements are picked up in a agreed areas, they don't trigger when someone enters the playpark.

Also if a neighbour wasn't happy we would reposition/remove them straight away

Sorry, I wasn’t criticising, sounds like you’ve got it sorted.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Sorry, I wasn’t criticising, sounds like you’ve got it sorted.
I didn't take it as a criticism you raised a valid point on privacy

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I had an email yesterday to say the cost of my basic plan for Ring Doorbell is increasing by 40% in March from £34.99 to £49.99 - that’s the second big increase in 2 years representing 100% increase since I bought my Ring Doorbell a few years ago. 😳

There is no upgrade of service with this either. Just another example of Amazon fleecing more and more money from those who subscribe to its services. (Amazon Prime recently introduced ads to all it’s streaming unless you paid a premium and fewer and fewer films are included in its free Prime video collection).

Does anyone know of any alternative technology to Ring, if so, how much it is?
My subscription runs out in March too and I won't be renewing at that price. To be honest I thought 24.99 was a bit steep for what you actually get. It seems from a brief search that there are quite a few systems that alert your phone and store footage.
This came in handy when I received a speeding ticket in Slough last year when i could show our car was parked on the drive at the time. Luckily I came home a few minutes after the supposed speeding offence and set off the motion detector.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really think these camera door bell systems just feed peoples insecurity do we live in such a fearful world ?

At home we have a very basic two stage system,

If there’s someone at the door they ring the doorbell and if we are in we answer it.

If we are out they go away.

I really don’t see a need for a subscription based door bell camera unless it’s really for security reasons then two questions where you live is it dangerous, do you need to consider moving somewhere safer and if that’s not possible why not install a security camera that’s operated by motion activated PIR and record to video

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It did.

Cancelled sub and got an immediate 6 month refund.

Selected ‘price’ for the reason. If enough people do likewise, they’ll get the message

May rejoin again at the lower price before March 11 to get a year at old price.

As I said, I certainly don’t need it for the security but because it is physically difficult to get to the door at times or I’m at work/away and I rely heavily on deliveries.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can see that Ring etc have some use if you have a lot of parcel deliveries, but – to my mind – the idea that someone trying to break in is going to be deterred by a Ring doorbell is pretty dubious.

Nonetheless that's one heck of an increase they're trying to gouge out of people.

Could be a case where they lose a lot of subscribers, and they might actually have got more revenue if they'd gone for a more modest increase, and thus kept more customers. Assume they've run the projections, and are confident that this pays off better than, say, £39.99 + a 10% higher retention rate. Not that we'll ever know, but it'd be interesting to see if they've pitched this right or not.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Nonetheless that's one heck of an increase they're trying to gouge out of people…

Could be a case where they lose a lot of subscribers, and they might actually have got more revenue if they'd gone for a more modest increase, and thus kept more customers. Assume they've run the projections, and are confident that this pays off better than, say, £39.99 + a 10% higher retention rate...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Can see that Ring etc have some use if you have a lot of parcel deliveries, but – to my mind – the idea that someone trying to break in is going to be deterred by a Ring doorbell is pretty dubious.

Nonetheless that's one heck of an increase they're trying to gouge out of people.

Could be a case where they lose a lot of subscribers, and they might actually have got more revenue if they'd gone for a more modest increase, and thus kept more customers. Assume they've run the projections, and are confident that this pays off better than, say, £39.99 + a 10% higher retention rate. Not that we'll ever know, but it'd be interesting to see if they've pitched this right or not.
IMG_2524.jpeg

Pretty much the only time I ever smiled in an Economics lecture was when the lecturer mentioned the Laffer curve (specifically on tax rate and total take, but same principle as price/revenue).
Thanks Ferris!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I really think these camera door bell systems just feed peoples insecurity do we live in such a fearful world ?

If there’s someone at the door they ring the doorbell and if we are in we answer it.

I really don’t see a need for a subscription based door bell camera unless it’s really for security reasons then two questions where you live is it dangerous, do you need to consider moving somewhere safer and if that’s not possible why not install a security camera that’s operated by motion activated PIR and record to video
Embrace technology, no one I’m not expecting has any business at my door. It is very reassuring to have a quick glance at your phone to see who is at the door. Once you’ve opened a door to a stranger it maybe too late as a friend of ours unfortunately found out.

Apr 9, 2020
Embrace technology, no one I’m not expecting has any business at my door. It is very reassuring to have a quick glance at your phone to see who is at the door. Once you’ve opened a door to a stranger it maybe too late as a friend of ours unfortunately found out.
Isn't this what door peep holes are for? Had ours for 15 years, no subscription fee....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

They are the modern way to spy on the neighbours without the twitching curtains

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
All these posts and not one saying the biggest reason why you shouldn't have ring or the equivalent. It is because it always grasses you up to the Mrs when you lie about what time you got home from the pub. No one likes a grass.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sorry to hear of your friend’s incident, and yes if it’s important to you then do get a doorbell camera it’s just in my mind there might be other cheaper subscription free options Such as a door security chain, camera doorbells need to go into the bin of unnecessary inventions where you might find items that have been developed when an a perfectly acceptable cheaper product is available examples that spring to mind are the electric carving knife and tin opener and in our house the Iron 😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here