Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi-Tech or just really lazy?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
So you've never got back from the shops, began unpacking and looked in the fridge and thought "F***! I didn't know we'd run out of ....."?

Not that I can remember, but then I always look in the fridge before I go shopping.

Cunning maybe but hardly rocket surgery.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not nearly as cool as back when you could sit in a pub, drink beer and talk to people without thinking or, ffs, even doing work.

Now that really was cool.
I meant when I'm supposed to be working not in my own time FFS!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
gimmick. they've been trying to sell us the dream of "internet of things" and devices such as online fridges since the 2000 dot com boom. a few phone controled lights, or a online accessible (and hackable) security camera aside, no one i knows has the least interest in it all. the idea you can internet control your washing machine is daft to most people. this fridge with a camera to see whats in is at least more usful than the idea of one that automatically updates your shopping list (presumbaly online) as you use stuff.

Exactly. Take a car, who needs a warning light on the dashboard if you're running short of fuel, just look at the fuel gauge. Or a warning about windscreen wash levels, don't you always check before setting off? Or oil? Or remote door controls? Or the next service. Or a flat tyre? Or a speed camera detector? Or a dash cam? Or a parking assistant? Or a means of recording how you've driven to reduce your car insurance? For goodness sake, next they'll be saying there's going to be driver-less cars, well that won't take off!

The constant march forward of technology on every possible front is often insidious but inevitable. Development of the connected world will inevitably involve many blind alleys but it won't stop. Just ask the Luddites.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Exactly. Take a car, who needs a warning light on the dashboard if you're running short of fuel, just look at the fuel gauge. Or a warning about windscreen wash levels, don't you always check before setting off? Or oil? Or remote door controls? Or the next service. Or a flat tyre? Or a speed camera detector? Or a dash cam? Or a parking assistant? Or a means of recording how you've driven to reduce your car insurance? For goodness sake, next they'll be saying there's going to be driver-less cars, well that won't take off!.

:lolol: yep, the oil light is comparable to a internet connected fridge. i'm not saying there wont be some internet connected devices, just they wont be ubiquitous as the industry selling them want them to be. an oil light or for that matter parking assistant address a problem and have seamless integration to the car interfaces. most (not all) appliances have no problems that will be solved by connecting to the internet, and when you do there's technical setup to work through. and as i say, the idea isn't even new, its been around for 15 years at least, with very little uptake.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Samsung have been sponsoring various masterchef shwos on Watch/W and this fridge (or similar) is one of those items advertised. They also do a washing machine that can be programmed by iphone. It's like an eject button on a dvd remote, you still have to go to the machine to take the disc out/put a disc in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here