Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi-Tech or just really lazy?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went to the supermarket a couple of hours ago and when I got home I realised I'd forgotten to get one item. I've just been back to the shop and got it.

True story.

You can't just leave it like that.

What was it ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You can't just leave it like that.

What was it ?

Cheese for the wife's lunchtime sandwiches tomorrow.

I did think about winging it:

"Special treat for lunch tomorrow dear: diet cheese sandwich."
"What's a 'diet cheese sandwich'?"
"Two slices of bread."

Then I realised I valued my testicles and put my coat back on.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Eggs

(I have a phone app that lets me check the contents of his fridge)

You must have clicked on the 'check cupboard contents' app by accident. I don't keep eggs in the fridge.

There's a TV ad at the moment for a Samsung washing machine that allows you to add items that you might have neglected after you started the wash.

I'm so glad there's now a solution to a problem that I've had to face only a handful of times in my 48 years on this planet (and wasn't a big deal when it happened anyway). :rolleyes:

Must be ahead of the times in the Potting household. If I press start/pause on our WM it will let me open the door and chuck another thing in - invariably a sock that has escaped from the heap during the journey from the washing basket to the machine.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Okay, so that's the fridge shopping sorted.

How do you stop running out of bog rolls?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Okay, so that's the fridge shopping sorted.

How do you stop running out of bog rolls?

iotbog-500x375.jpg

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/internet-of-things-toilet/

:facepalm:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would be better off with a barcode reader on the fridge door which could be bought as an attachment for any fridge. Swipe in the new and swipe out the used.

Screw that. It'd be sure to malfunction and shout "unexplained item in fridge door!" every time* I took a beer out.

*every 30 minutes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I disagree. IoT is/ will be massive. Vehicles, Buildings, Roads, Bridges, White goods, anything and everything that can be hooked up to the net will be. Future generations will take this as the norm. The more data you get, the informed decisions you can make.

heard it before, replace IoT with RFID. where did that go? it sounds good on paper, the technocrati love it and get in to the early deployment, but in the end... no killer application, no real advantages for the vast majority of the population beyond "nice toy". we had the concept of the internet connected fridge 15 years ago, no interest in it since. there will be individual tools, devices that are internet capable (like tablets, TVs) and there will be dumb appliances.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
heard it before, replace IoT with RFID. where did that go? it sounds good on paper, the technocrati love it and get in to the early deployment, but in the end... no killer application, no real advantages for the vast majority of the population beyond "nice toy". we had the concept of the internet connected fridge 15 years ago, no interest in it since. there will be individual tools, devices that are internet capable (like tablets, TVs) and there will be dumb appliances.

RFID is currently used in all the strategiic data centres I have designed for Thomson Reuters. Every item is tagged the moment it arrives. Most enterprises use it now, along with DCIM tools, IoT will take off. 100% certain of it.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The fact that I can sit in the pub and access my PC at work from my phone to use the secure system to produce documents for clients is very cool.

Not nearly as cool as back when you could sit in a pub, drink beer and talk to people without thinking or, ffs, even doing work.

Now that really was cool.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
RFID is used on tyres in motorsport. Lets the Race Director know who's using what.

In John Lewis they have a 'Home of the future' setup with smart bulbs, wireless speakers, wireless CCTV etc in it, it's an interesting concept. That fridge is in there too. I can see the benefits, and the possibility to develop further useful apps for it. Think we're not there yet, but soon it'll be the norm.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me that the only useful, er, use for the Samsung Fridge complete with internal cameras is to let you check on your smartphone to see if the little light stays on or off when you shut the door.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Currently, IoT is not much more than companies looking to make money, but I can imagine more useful things than self-shopping-fridges.

When all houses have roof tiles that are actually mini solar panels*, and energy storage is possible on a house-by-house basis, each appliance would need to "negotiate" for its bit of electricity. Fridges and freezers would use recently announced technology to charge up and stay cold for longer without a constant drain. But you wouldn't want them draining the house battery at the same time as your Tesla is charging in the garage. Unless, of course, your house management system knows that you are staying home tomorrow, and which rooms need heating to what level, etc. I'm sure you can add your own ideas.

* The National Trust beach cafe at Kynance Cove has had these for a few years, and you wouldn't realise they weren't "normal" tiles. Nicer than the current solar panels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here