Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hernia surgery

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Did you have keyhole or open?
Sorry Jimmy, was just about to add that.

I should have had keyhole but it was quite a big hernia so had a proper op. If you have keyhole, it will be even easier. My friend had keyhole a month before me and he was up and about with no pain the same evening.

All the best.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I had keyhole surgery. I took a month of work as my jobs quite physical.
No problems at all, done as a walk in at at the Hernia Clinic. I went private as the waiting list was over a year for NHS treatment and being self employed that wasn't an option.

The worst thing was the pain killers that stopped me sh***** for a week.
When I did it was like passing the Great Wall of China.

Good luck.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I had keyhole surgery. I took a month of work as my jobs quite physical.
No problems at all, done as a walk in at at the Hernia Clinic. I went private as the waiting list was over a year for NHS treatment and being self employed that wasn't an option.

The worst thing was the pain killers that stopped me sh***** for a week.
When I did it was like passing the Great Wall of China.

Good luck.
Ah yes, that was the only drawback - especially as they said "don't strain" or else the stitches might break, or the hernia would pop back out again!

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I’ve had two ops by open surgery about 20 years apart. Biggest problem after the op is getting out of bed or a chair. It has to be done in stages. Two weeks signed off work is the norm but don’t go lifting weights any time soon after the op. Best to get it done as you don’t want a strangulated hernia, which is a different ball game.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
I had 4 done via keyhole surgery last year- I went in for 1 and they found 3 others in various places.

They pump you with air to get to them, so was very bloated/ swelled for 10 days.

Could barely walk for 10 days , gradually improving and after 3 weeks I could walk about 1/2 mile ok.
Oh and scar is tiny.
4 weeks and I was back to normal on walking and driving etc.

May be different with 1 only , but others I know had same bloating and 3 weeks to walk properly

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not a hernia but a couple of days ago had surgery on my nose 14 stitches later top to bottom of one side of my nose looks bloody awful at the moment and it really hurts so based on that my vote goes for key hole

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hoping that someone on NSC has some personal experience of this and can help me out.

I currently have a inguinal hernia, which I would describe as pretty mild. It’s located at the top of my groin, just below the hip. It’s hard to be exact as it doesn’t protrude like hernias can do.

I’m still able to lift weights and do moderate exercise without it causing much pain (occasionally a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a pain scale). The only other time I experience mild discomfort is when I get up from a position I’ve been sat in for a while.

I have had the hernia for around 2 years and it hasn’t got worse in that time. I have, however, finally been offered an operation date with the NHS.

What I’d like to know is if anyone else has experienced similar and has lived with/is living with a hernia. And anyone who has had hernia surgery, what was the recovery like?

If I go forward with the surgery, I’d like to know when I can expect to be walking around and going to Brighton games again. I know it’s suggested to avoid strenuous physical activity for 4-6 weeks but am curious as to when you start to feel normal again.

Thanks in advance!
I had an umbilical hernia. Got it stitched up. All lovely now. Don't leave it as it may rip.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good thread and replies.
I knew something wasn’t right about a month back and after some research I thought I may have a hernia.
I went to see the doctor and 2 weeks later I had an appointment booked for an ultrasound scan. Had the scan this week and now waiting for results.

Have most of you waited 2 years for operations?

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Good thread and replies.
I knew something wasn’t right about a month back and after some research I thought I may have a hernia.
I went to see the doctor and 2 weeks later I had an appointment booked for an ultrasound scan. Had the scan this week and now waiting for results.

Fortunately for me, my second op was private thanks to my wife’s work health cover. All done within a month of the consultation. First one on the NHS took about 6 months from diagnosis but things were different back then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good thread and replies.

I got my op in months. But you only get an op if you claim you have pain. I had a kindly GP who was happy for me to exaggerate this somewhat (*cough*) after I was initially turned down.

By the time I was called in several months later (that's all) I did have pain. Pain, and no guilt.

After the OP I was given seven hypos and syringes and had to give myself subcutaneous anticoagulant for a week. That was a tad alarming. Especially the first time when, showing off at home, I gave myself an IP injection by mistake, jauntily jabbing myself in the abdomen, like the silly-arse showboating **** that I am. No harm done, luckily. Probably due to the thick subcutaneous layer. Ahem.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a 2nd Hernia op (groin) around a year ago at Chichester, all done in a day and very good service

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Gave up waiting for the NHS and paid for a double inguinal hernia op at the London Hernia Centre in 2017. Performed while I was under sedation (turned out the anaesthetist treated those poor souls from the Grenfell fire) but awake during the procedure which was two incisions and having a gauze placed in each one.
stayed in London night before as it was an early start. OK to leave within a few hours. Got taxi back to hotel in Putney and my wife carefully drove me home. No real pain but I think I took paracetamol for a couple of days on advice of consultant. All good. No reoccurrence. I think prices may have gone up a bit since then - I think it was about £3k.
biggest problem was the taxi driver who decided the best way to go was through on of t(e London parks that had speed bumps!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Had one a two months ago it was open surgery and painless, did not need to use the pain medication given to me and I was in and out the same day.
It did take longer to physically recover than I thought. I’ve had a few operations and always recovered quickly thinking I would be reasonably active after a week or so, but it took me 6 weeks to get back to normal. It was frustrating not to be able to do things as normal.
No problems after the operation, the scar/healing process was without issue.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ignored my inguinal hernia for about 4 years. Would just push it back in and it would make a squidge noise. Was popping probably 10 times a day. Was an idiot and didn't get it checked. Even decided to go from no running (ever) to a half marathon in 3 months so endured runs with it constantly happening. Then one day I sneezed and I was in absolute agony. It wouldn't go back in. I was on the floor basically crying and vomiting from the pain. Went to the hospital and they agreed emergency surgery. I was in so much pain that stupidly I somehow managed to push it back in after about 2 hours. Instant pain relief.....but they then sent me home.

Next morning I sneezed again. Same happened. Throwing up. Went in for emergency surgery. Surgeon came round to check me in advance and he was literally pushing his entire bodyweight on it to see if it would go back in whilst I screamed and grabbed his arm. "Yeah that's quite bad" he said.

Surgery left me with a nice ol' scar probably 3 inches as it was complicated. Took a while to recover as the location meant every movement hurt. Also got the joy of the nurse I fancied putting a tube up my willy.

So yeah, don't leave them.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Had one a two months ago it was open surgery and painless, did not need to use the pain medication given to me and I was in and out the same day.
It did take longer to physically recover than I thought. I’ve had a few operations and always recovered quickly thinking I would be reasonably active after a week or so, but it took me 6 weeks to get back to normal. It was frustrating not to be able to do things as normal.
No problems after the operation, the scar/healing process was without issue.
After 2 weeks do you think you’d have been comfortable getting a flight to Amsterdam and getting on the beers?

Jimmy Grimble

Ignored my inguinal hernia for about 4 years. Would just push it back in and it would make a squidge noise. Was popping probably 10 times a day. Was an idiot and didn't get it checked. Even decided to go from no running (ever) to a half marathon in 3 months so endured runs with it constantly happening. Then one day I sneezed and I was in absolute agony. It wouldn't go back in. I was on the floor basically crying and vomiting from the pain. Went to the hospital and they agreed emergency surgery. I was in so much pain that stupidly I somehow managed to push it back in after about 2 hours. Instant pain relief.....but they then sent me home.

Next morning I sneezed again. Same happened. Throwing up. Went in for emergency surgery. Surgeon came round to check me in advance and he was literally pushing his entire bodyweight on it to see if it would go back in whilst I screamed and grabbed his arm. "Yeah that's quite bad" he said.

Surgery left me with a nice ol' scar probably 3 inches as it was complicated. Took a while to recover as the location meant every movement hurt. Also got the joy of the nurse I fancied putting a tube up my willy.

So yeah, don't leave them.
Where was yours located out of interest?

Jimmy Grimble

Good thread and replies.

Just double checked and I am just over 2 years waiting, but at no point have I chased it up.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
After 2 weeks do you think you’d have been comfortable getting a flight to Amsterdam and getting on the beers?
My plan was to go to our home game against Luton two days after my operation. The pre assessment nurse, being very professional, and herself being a BHA fan, told me that might not happen!
Can’t say about the beers as I don’t drink, but the traveling I’d have struggled with. If I was 30 I think I could have managed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here