Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hernia surgery

Jimmy Grimble

Hoping that someone on NSC has some personal experience of this and can help me out.

I currently have a inguinal hernia, which I would describe as pretty mild. It’s located at the top of my groin, just below the hip. It’s hard to be exact as it doesn’t protrude like hernias can do.

I’m still able to lift weights and do moderate exercise without it causing much pain (occasionally a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a pain scale). The only other time I experience mild discomfort is when I get up from a position I’ve been sat in for a while.

I have had the hernia for around 2 years and it hasn’t got worse in that time. I have, however, finally been offered an operation date with the NHS.

What I’d like to know is if anyone else has experienced similar and has lived with/is living with a hernia. And anyone who has had hernia surgery, what was the recovery like?

If I go forward with the surgery, I’d like to know when I can expect to be walking around and going to Brighton games again. I know it’s suggested to avoid strenuous physical activity for 4-6 weeks but am curious as to when you start to feel normal again.

Thanks in advance!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Have they said how the surgery will be done? A friend of mine has had a hernia for the last few years and has just been seen to agree surgery. He was offered both laparoscopic and the old fashioned open surgery. He was told that he'd get a date much quicker if he went for open surgery (more surgeons available to carry surgery out on this basis) - albeit recovery would take a little longer. This is down in Bournemouth area.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne
Had 2 inguinal hernias (not at the same time).
Had both repaired by keyhole surgery as they were in different areas.
Recovery was quicker compared with open surgery. (cant remember how long but i'm sure I was walking around soon after)

Hoping that someone on NSC has some personal experience of this and can help me out.

I currently have a inguinal hernia, which I would describe as pretty mild. It’s located at the top of my groin, just below the hip. It’s hard to be exact as it doesn’t protrude like hernias can do.

I’m still able to lift weights and do moderate exercise without it causing much pain (occasionally a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a pain scale). The only other time I experience mild discomfort is when I get up from a position I’ve been sat in for a while.

I have had the hernia for around 2 years and it hasn’t got worse in that time. I have, however, finally been offered an operation date with the NHS.

What I’d like to know is if anyone else has experienced similar and has lived with/is living with a hernia. And anyone who has had hernia surgery, what was the recovery like?

If I go forward with the surgery, I’d like to know when I can expect to be walking around and going to Brighton games again. I know it’s suggested to avoid strenuous physical activity for 4-6 weeks but am curious as to when you start to feel normal again.

Thanks in advance!
I have had it, twice! Both sides. You’ll be fine, it is v v common and the procedure is not too long. Took me 8 weeks to heal. 12 weeks back to normal.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Thanks in advance!
I had hernia surgery 3 years ago, after it had got so bad/big that I ended up in A & E, doubled-up, and begging for morphine, because of the excruciating pain (which came and went, at random, over a couple of years).

Was eventually booked-in for keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic, but able to walk-out and go home a couple of hours after the op. I literally felt re-born after two years of sporadic debilitating pain.

Pain-killers for the first few days - hence I didn't feel any pain from the op afterwards - and told not do anything strenuous for a few weeks, but back at work a couple of days later.

No problems since, although I'm doubly careful at the gym, when gardening, or if doing anything strenuous, and similarly ultra-cautious if lifting or moving anything heavy.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I had both sides done about 10yrs ago. Was only due to have one side done but whilst surgeon was in there he decided to do both!

From what I recall recovery was uncomfortable for a few days but pretty quick after that. Not had any issues whatsoever since.

Good luck !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve had three hernias in the groin and the last one they had me in pretty quick because once they protrude and don’t click k back in they can become strangulated. I had to discharge myself in 83 against the surgeons advice because I needed to get out on the Friday night before the FA cup final. There was no key hole surgery back then and it was so painful.
You do need 6 weeks to let it all heal… I have like gauze patches down in to strengthen the muscle to protect intestine coming back through.

I still bend over when l sneeze even nowadays to protect the area.
Get it sorted 👍

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I had hernia surgery 3 years ago, after it had got so bad/big that I ended up in A & E, doubled-up, and begging for morphine, because of the excruciating pain (which came and went, at random, over a couple of years).

Was eventually booked-in for keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic, but able to walk-out and go home a couple of hours after the op. I literally felt re-born after two years of sporadic debilitating pain.

Pain-killers for the first few days - hence I didn't feel any pain from the op afterwards - and told not do anything strenuous for a few weeks, but back at work a couple of days later.

No problems since, although I'm doubly careful at the gym, when gardening, or if doing anything strenuous, and similarly ultra-cautious if lifting or moving anything heavy.
Yep pretty much my experience. Had a double hernia about four years ago. Would come home from football in awful pain, stopped drinking for a while, changed my diet. Apparently standing up for long periods and gravity was the issue. Like you I eventually ended up in A&E on morphine. Luckily had work healthcare so managed to get it sorted pretty quickly. Was home the next day in a lot of discomfort, but this eased after about a week, pretty much back to normal after about a month.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

Thanks, this gives me a bit of hope. I have enormous hernias which need open surgery and a bit of pig grafted in. 6 hour op apparently, and 2 weeks in hospital.
Mind you, I've been waiting for this for 4 years now, and no sign of a date yet... :(

Jimmy Grimble

Thanks for all the replies. It would be open surgery rather than keyhole, though the other day I did feel a tweak in the other groin and I’m now wondering if I have one on both sides!

Here’s a hypothetical… Say I have the surgery 2 weeks before we play Ajax away, would you say the recovery is such that I’d be able to travel and enjoy the trip still?

Jimmy Grimble

Thanks, this gives me a bit of hope. I have enormous hernias which need open surgery and a bit of pig grafted in. 6 hour op apparently, and 2 weeks in hospital.
Mind you, I've been waiting for this for 4 years now, and no sign of a date yet... :(
Is that in the UK? I thought I’d been waiting a while, I think I’m actually closer to 3 than 2 years thinking about it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Had two Hernias one each side of the groin. 1st was repaired by open surgery at Brighton General and was a very slow painful recovery of around 8 weeks with pain on and off for 2/3 yrs afterwards with further trips to confirm all ok
The 2nd op was carried out at Goring Hall in Worthing after being given the option by the NHS. It was keyhole and a totally different recovery. It felt absolutely fine the next day and I actually got reprimanded by the nurses for trying to do to much.
So in my own personal experience keyhole is the way to go

Jimmy Grimble

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Thanks for all the replies. It would be open surgery rather than keyhole, though the other day I did feel a tweak in the other groin and I’m now wondering if I have one on both sides!

Here’s a hypothetical… Say I have the surgery 2 weeks before we play Ajax away, would you say the recovery is such that I’d be able to travel and enjoy the trip still?
I'd have thought so. The pain-killers should do the trick (I felt no pain whatsoever afterwards). Like I said, I literally walked out of hospital pain-free two hours after the op, and was back at work in two days, so two weeks should be plenty of time to recover enough to travel, albeit obviously avoiding anything strenuous.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I've been on the waiting list for about two years now, waiting for my op. Go so painful that I looked into going private but was quoted £4500.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Hi Jimmy, I had similar to yours and just lived with it for around 7 years. Never stopped me playing Footie, 8 a side and Vets Football, tennis or the brilliant Pickleball. And gym visits.
Eventually I was offered an op and had this last year. Sent home the same day. Painful stabbing pain but fine sitting or lying down. Had to hold on to my goolies when walking around, not very far.
That lasted 4 days and after that the pain went quickly. They gave me some pain killers but they were crap.
Was back playing Pickleball within 3 weeks and Footie in 6 weeks.
Piece of piss but just don't worry about the pain. I phoned the hospital after 3 days as it didn't seem right but was assured and looking back, I had nothing to worry about.

Jimmy Grimble

I'd have thought so. The pain-killers should do the trick (I felt no pain whatsoever afterwards). Like I said, I literally walked out of hospital pain-free two hours after the op, and was back at work in two days, so two weeks should be plenty of time to recover enough to travel, albeit obviously avoiding anything strenuous.
Sounds like I should request key hole if it’s possible to do so.

Jimmy Grimble

Hi Jimmy, I had similar to yours and just lived with it for around 7 years. Never stopped me playing Footie, 8 a side and Vets Football, tennis or the brilliant Pickleball. And gym visits.
Eventually I was offered an op and had this last year. Sent home the same day. Painful stabbing pain but fine sitting or lying down. Had to hold on to my goolies when walking around, not very far.
That lasted 4 days and after that the pain went quickly. They gave me some pain killers but they were crap.
Was back playing Pickleball within 3 weeks and Footie in 6 weeks.
Piece of piss but just don't worry about the pain. I phoned the hospital after 3 days as it didn't seem right but was assured and looking back, I had nothing to worry about.
Did you have keyhole or open?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here