Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hernia surgery

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I had my right side done by keyhole in 2010. Just started new job in a company as a temp worker. Two weeks later on the Thursday had the op and went home that day. Pain was horrendous every time I moved and had to pee in bucket as couldn't make it to the loo. After 2 days felt much better with pain killers and decided to drive on the Monday to test the groin. It felt ok but when I got out of car I was knocked over by another car (sued the driver and settled out of court). Long story short back at work on the Thursday working in the warehouse, carefully I might add. When my dad had hernia surgery in the 60s he was off work months. Much better recovery after surgery nowadays.

Jimmy Grimble

My plan was to go to our home game against Luton two days after my operation. The pre assessment nurse, being very professional, and herself being a BHA fan, told me that might not happen!
Can’t say about the beers as I don’t drink, but the traveling I’d have struggled with. If I was 30 I think I could have managed it.
Did you go to Wolves away the week after? Or West Ham two weeks later?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've had an inguinal hernia and was operated on via keyhole a few years ago, had a lump in the groin but did not hurt and was able to play football up until the operation. Post operation avoid any strain for at least 10 days; no driving until you can do an emergency stop without wincing; no straining when having a dump; definitely no lifting of anything that requires a little muscle. I was back playing football within a month and have never had a problem since.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I had 2 inguinal hernias repaired by keyhole surgery 15 years ago. Went in for one big one and they found another on the other side.
It became increasingly painful afterwards due to constipation, which was well over a week. When told, the surgeon admitted that he may have overdone the morphine!
What no-one has mentioned is what I was clearly warned about - the PURPLE WILLY. Not much initially, but after a couple of days- wow! Quite spectacular, but not exactly something that you can show off to everyone.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm three weeks in to post-op from an inguinal hernia surgery. I have been lucky in that I recognised it quickly and had it diagnosed quickly. They weren't going to operate but I asked politely and within two months had the operation. Recovery has been slower than I hoped and I am desperate to get up to driving to Brighton next week for the Ajax game. Fingers well and truly crossed. My surgery was open but under sedation so I was home quickly. Pain was quite bad for a day or so but managed with over the counter meds. And my dreams of sitting around recovering being waited on were shattered as my wife picked up her first Covid 2 days after my op! So I've probably done a bit more than is ideal but all seems OK. Definitely no lifting though.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I have an inguinal hernia on my right side groin area.
I am waiting for an op to sort ir out.
Going commando helps, as the elestication of underwear makes it feel worse.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hi Jimmy, I had similar to yours and just lived with it for around 7 years. Never stopped me playing Footie, 8 a side and Vets Football, tennis or the brilliant Pickleball. And gym visits.
Eventually I was offered an op and had this last year. Sent home the same day. Painful stabbing pain but fine sitting or lying down. Had to hold on to my goolies when walking around, not very far.
That lasted 4 days and after that the pain went quickly. They gave me some pain killers but they were crap.
Was back playing Pickleball within 3 weeks and Footie in 6 weeks.
Piece of piss but just don't worry about the pain. I phoned the hospital after 3 days as it didn't seem right but was assured and looking back, I had nothing to worry about.
Echo this. I was expecting a recovery time like that of a hip replacement, but it was so much quicker. The day after my only concession to the op was to go down the stairs backwards to ward off discomfort, and after that was walking quite normally, getting quicker with every day. Still had some pain but it was tolerable. Worst thing was when they took the first dressing off, and it painfully pulled the hair "down there" . Told the nurse that I wanted a brazilian, and she replied that they charge for that . .

Jimmy Grimble

Quick bounce.

Going in for keyhole tomorrow as after a consultation and check-up with the surgeon he suspects it may be a double hernia so he’s gonna sort both whilst he’s down there.

Having booked train tickets for Sheff U in the FA Cup I’m hoping my recovery is in that 2 week zone. It’s also the day I’m planning on finishing dry January so if I haven’t recovered the beers will help🤣

@BN9 BHA have you had any update?

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I had an inguinal hernia done about 3 years ago at the Montefiore hospital in Hove. It was diagnosed when I was in the States and I was told it was not urgent but I would need to get it done at some time in the future as there is always a very slim chance of it developing into a strangulated hernia which is much more serious. I remember seeing the doctor when I returned to the UK and he said the NHS waiting list at the time was about 18 months so I opted to go private which was not as expensive as I thought it might be. The op and recovery were straightforward and advised to take it easy for about 8 weeks. The surgeon said although hernia operations are one of the most common operations in the UK having to have them redone because of not following the post operation advice is also quite commmon.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Quick bounce.

Going in for keyhole tomorrow as after a consultation and check-up with the surgeon he suspects it may be a double hernia so he’s gonna sort both whilst he’s down there.

Having booked train tickets for Sheff U in the FA Cup I’m hoping my recovery is in that 2 week zone. It’s also the day I’m planning on finish dry January so if I haven’t recovered the beers will help🤣

Wow. Perhaps you could consider yourself somewhat fortunate-ish.

After waiting for 3 years, I think I may have my first op for hernias in March. (Botox?)
My main surgery after that is a 6 hour operation which will involve a huge open hole, and, of all things, a piece of pig to be sewn into me. I kid you not. And a minimum 2 week stay in hospital. Goodness knows how long to fully recover, if ever.

But, at the end of the day, it should make my quality of life much better, fingers crossed. :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Quick bounce.

Having booked train tickets for Sheff U in the FA Cup I’m hoping my recovery is in that 2 week zone. It’s also the day I’m planning on finish dry January so if I haven’t recovered the beers will help🤣

All good thank you.
The results from the ultrasound scan didn’t show anything, definitely was worth getting checked but I also feel fine now.

Hope your operation goes well.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm three weeks in to post-op from an inguinal hernia surgery. I have been lucky in that I recognised it quickly and had it diagnosed quickly. They weren't going to operate but I asked politely and within two months had the operation. Recovery has been slower than I hoped and I am desperate to get up to driving to Brighton next week for the Ajax game. Fingers well and truly crossed. My surgery was open but under sedation so I was home quickly. Pain was quite bad for a day or so but managed with over the counter meds. And my dreams of sitting around recovering being waited on were shattered as my wife picked up her first Covid 2 days after my op! So I've probably done a bit more than is ideal but all seems OK. Definitely no lifting though.
I made it to the Ajax game and am recovering well. Still a bit sore at times. But I'm concentrating on being careful to reduce the chance of needing another op.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here