Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hereford aside what is our most memorable final day?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Sheffield United. I was only 17. Woke up next to a married woman that morning, had a fight on the pitch then went home and watched the Bradford fire unfold on the news. Not memorable for the right reasons but one I can’t get out my head.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Too many, but Ulloa's goal against Forest where I celebrated in the away end and forgot I had a frozen shoulder...

Equalising goal..

10169186_10154174788565602_4048538748699958251_n.jpg

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Newcastle 1979 for me. It was such a long day and every element of it was memorable and wonderful.

I didn't manage to go to Hereford for the same reason I got divorced(!) so it's absolutely the outstanding last day for me.

There's been some other pretty good ones, though. Ulloa up at Forest is probably second best because it was a beautiful day and we arrived and departed by narrowboat. Technically wasn't the last game of the season, though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ulloa at Forest and Nicky 'Don't worry lads I'm back' Forster against Stockport are two that immediately spring to mind

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Too many, but Ulloa's goal against Forest where I celebrated in the away end and forgot I had a frozen shoulder...

Equalising goal..

View attachment 161386
Ha - you must have been standing next to me!

So difficult to decide but this has to be the best last few seconds - not knowing what had happened at Reading
Limbs!!!

2. Newcastle away 79

3. Port Vale away 02 - that Paul Watson free kick. how can that be 21 years ago!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is, of course, Bristol Rovers in 1988 and Ipswich Town in 2005 (?)

Didn't Albion survive on the last day in 1981 after a series of wins ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People seem to be mixing up memorable and best.

I'd say the most memorable were the York game and the pitch invasion - something that made the national news

Or 1978 v Blackpool and hearing the Southampton/Spurs match. That was memorable all right, people are still talking about it
Was at both of those. Couldn't remember it was Blackpool though, so....

I'm going to say that last game against Citeh. That was 'next level' football.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Playoff final for me. The whole day was just such a fun away day, party atmosphere, beer everywhere, all our mates together, beach balls bouncing round the train, and it was when my other half and I first got together.

On second thoughts ... :moo:
That was a great day. I can’t claim it was memorable though. Remember very little of it! 🍻

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This!!! Lovely hot day, 18k in the Goldstone, a bullet header from Bremner, a tidy finish from Nelson and we were back in Div 1 at the first attempt after a horror season in 87-88.
I was at that one, in the South. I thought the post match reaction was very flat, considering we had been promoted. Wasn't it after that that Barry Lloyd said 'now what?'?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hard to beat Newcastle away 79 on my 16th birthday. Invading the pitch and climbing on the concrete crush barriers in front of the main stand to serenade the players in the Directors' Box, as was the trend at the time.

In terms of 'limbs' celebration then Ulloa at Forest the tops.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Another vote for Leeds at the Goldstone 1981 2-0 win to stay up.

The 4 game winning run, which started with the 3-0 demolition of Palace away.
Actually started with a late, late Gary Williams goal at Roker to beat Sunderland 2-1. Then 3-0 Palace away Easter Saturday, and coming from behind to beat Leicester 2-1 Easter Monday.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
1) Newcastle away 1979. We get promoted to the top division for 1st time ever. In terms of me being at final games of the season, this will be hard to ever beat (especially as I can't get to many games now).

2) The play off final at Cardiff. All the banners, just the togetherness with all the protests and stuff going on, meeting people in the flesh I'd only communicated with on line before, 30,000 fans all in one end for the first time since god knows when. And we won. And I went with my son and it's wedded him to the Albion for life. Scenes, scenes. Filling up just typing this (should I make this number 1? Dunno!!)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This!!! Lovely hot day, 18k in the Goldstone, a bullet header from Bremner, a tidy finish from Nelson and we were back in Div 1 at the first attempt after a horror season in 87-88.
This for me too . . .and being a carefree teenager!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Rochdale night match, slaughted on the pitch and then waiting for our at the time CEO.

Being an oldie I remember another Rochdale final game of the season. In 1972 nearly 35,000 rammed the Goldstone to see us take the point needed to secure promotion from Division 3.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Being an oldie I remember another Rochdale final game of the season. In 1972 nearly 35,000 rammed the Goldstone to see us take the point needed to secure promotion from Division 3.
That may be my No. 3! First ever Albion promotion. My Dad was meant to pick self and my mate Daman (God rest his soul 😢) up by the Greyhound Stadium after the match but - unsurprisingly given the crowds - we missed each other. Daman and I eventually made it back to Ringmer at about 1 a.m. having thumbed it home!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here