Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can't comment on the player's most recent performances as have been out of the country for the past three weeks. But I'd be gobsmacked if he's suddenly started looking anything other than overweight and ponderous. But, fair play, let the smug-after-the-event told-you-so's have their day, bless. On a wider level, does this mean nobody can ever express an opinion on a player based on what he's actually done, after he's done it, rather than what he might or might not do at some unspecified point in the future. Would suggest that might make for one dull ol' message board.
Oh well :shrug:

Leon Knight
He's Alright
As Is Ashley Barnes BTW

Think everyone is entitled to their opinions, right or wrong, just seems some get personal, I.e. Overweight comment above.
If Hemed was overweight like you appear to suggest I think the Brighton management might have done something about it, or maybe it's just you!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Let's deal with this bit by bit as you're clearly having one of your slower days.

Firstly, I did say that and I stand by it. That comment was after the Ipswich game on the 29th of December. Hemed put in a performance that was nothing short of embarrassing. He worked hard, yes, but my dog runs around a lot and you wouldn't call her a footballer. The point was, he added nothing of note to the team's performance in an attacking sense and moves broke down so regularly when the ball went into him that it was an embarrassment to watch. At that stage, he'd also only scored 1 goal in 14 games - whatever the reason for it, he was playing awfully and he didn't look up to the level required. It's excellent that he's had a bit of a turn around in form, but that run actually extended to just 1 in 19 through to the Brentford game. The problem at the time with Hemed was that, aside from running around a lot, when he wasn't scoring, he didn't add much to the team, as he lacks pace, his movement in dragging defenders out of position can be poor, he doesn't hold the ball up well and he's not actually that effective in the air. So when he's not scoring, he becomes a massive hindrance to the team. That he's now got 7 in 9 is excellent, but it doesn't change the fact that he had 1 in 14 at the time of writing and he wasn't adding much else to the team. That you're overlooking that reflects more poorly on you than it does on me, particularly as I've openly accepted his improvement in performance.

I said I was perplexed about what his qualities were. That's because AT THE TIME he was playing like a footballer who shouldn't be playing at this level. I've ALSO recognised his improved performances as part of a 2 man strike force and his improved strike rate. That's perfectly acceptable, but it also doesn't excuse his awful performances during that spell. And going back to my original point - still no one has told me what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring goals. It's like the reverse-Baldock debate. Baldock brings so much more to our side than Hemed, and it's no coincidence we haven't lost with him in the team this year, but he doesn't bring a strong supply of goals. To some that will mean he's not good enough. I look at Hemed and see the amount of chances we create every game in a side that is set up to bring the best out of him and he's only got 13 goals - on top of that, when he's not scoring, he wasn't bringing much to the side at the time - like I've said though, he's improving his all round game, maybe due to renewed confidence, and that's good for us, but it still doesn't overlook how poor he was at the time of writing.

And on to your last point regarding my first post (although it's really just a repeat of what I keep saying). I didn't say anything positive then because THERE WAS NOTHING POSITIVE IN THAT PERFORMANCE OR THE PREVIOUS 10 (where he had 1 in 14).. You've quoted a post but you've not read the context around it and that illustrates your inability to comprehend what's been written - it doesn't, however, prove you right or wrong regarding my comment about Hemed.

Furthermore, when i was referencing the positive elements of what I'd said, I was discussing the post you'd immediately quoted - at no point did I discuss the first post on the thread, or the others that I posted other than to say that I stood by the comments at the time because they reflected his extended run of poor form. The newest post was very much a "he didn't look like a forward that was good enough for this level during the original discussion, but he's improved dramatically and I recognise that improvement". That's a positive and logical analysis, and again, it reflects poorly on you that you're unable to comprehend something so simple. Does his improvement illustrate that he can play at this level? Yes, it probably does, albeit he's a confidence player and I'm still yet to see him play well when he's played as a lone striker. Has his all round game improved since he started scoring again? Yes, it has undoubtedly, and I recognise that, particularly with his link up play in results such as the 4-1 against BC. BUT, does that excuse his 1 goal in 19 and his disappearance throughout many of those 19 games? No it doesn't. Did his disappearance throughout those games cost us dearly throughout many of them? Yes it did, as it would when the focal point of your team isn't being effective. I'm glad he's come through it, but at the time he simply didn't deserve his place in our side and he didn't look good enough for this level, and the 1 in 19 reflects that more than his two separate spurts of goals that have totalled 13 for the season.

Wow! That's a lot of words confirming what many of us suspected from your earlier post; you were wrong.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Can't comment on the player's most recent performances as have been out of the country for the past three weeks. But I'd be gobsmacked if he's suddenly started looking anything other than overweight and ponderous. But, fair play, let the smug-after-the-event told-you-so's have their day, bless. On a wider level, does this mean nobody can ever express an opinion on a player based on what he's actually done, after he's done it, rather than what he might or might not do at some unspecified point in the future. Would suggest that might make for one dull ol' message board.
Oh well :shrug:

tomer hem.jpg

you are completely right, he looks humungous in this one!!! not too mention when he threw his shirt into the crowd at MK - It nearly suffocated a child trying to catch it!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that Hemed is heavily reliant on other players creating space for him. Nothing wrong with that, it's a team game. Baldock can't finish, but it doesn't matter all the while his off the ball running compliments Hemed so well.

Ultimately Hughton is putting out winning teams every week and he's decided Hemed is part of the squad that makes winning happen. Let other teams arrogantly spend 9m on overrated strikers as if that will guarantee promotion, and we'll play a team with no billy big bollox in it.

Going back to Hemed, yes he's probably not good enough for the top flight (although that remains to be seen) but our league position coupled with the number of appearances he's made suggests he's very much at home at this level at the very least.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In n this very good season I still think if there has been a weakness it has been our strikers. Hemed all credit for scoring 13 goals but there are far better strikers in this division. His first touch is poor and unable to lose a defender. As long as Zamora stays fit I think we should stick with what we have however the reason so many people are asking for Murray is because he wins ball in air and first touch better then Hemed. I think what sums Hemed up is Zamora would have put away all of Hemeds goals but 2/3 of goals that Zamora got both Baldock and Hemed would not have the skill to have scored.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If & it's a big if we went up, I would expect Hemed to be the only striker left at our club within the first team. Maybe number 3 or possibly second choice

I think that might be about right.

It's hard to understand though why some of the people who posted such drivel about Hemed are cutting up rough about the fact being highlighted. It actually doesn't happen enough on here, mainly because people have better things to do than trawl through all the threads. That's the deal, it's a public board, if you post utter sh!te then you can expect someone to notice. This just being the latest in a line of 'Barnes/Murray not good enough for League One' type garbage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In n this very good season I still think if there has been a weakness it has been our strikers. Hemed all credit for scoring 13 goals but there are far better strikers in this division. His first touch is poor and unable to lose a defender. As long as Zamora stays fit I think we should stick with what we have however the reason so many people are asking for Murray is because he wins ball in air and first touch better then Hemed. I think what sums Hemed up is Zamora would have put away all of Hemeds goals but 2/3 of goals that Zamora got both Baldock and Hemed would not have the skill to have scored.

There are just 5 strikers in this division who have scored more goals than Hemed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saying that, I wouldn't put yesterday down as an actual marker of proof that he's suddenly an all conquering forward at this level, as he scored a penalty and a header from all of 4 yards following an excellent cross, yet he managed to miss the easiest chance of the game at 2-1 which nearly cost us dearly.
This has got under my skin as it's a fine example of the delusional nature of Albion fans.
Our £1m second division striker was on the pitch for 40 minutes.
In that time he:-

Scored.
Created a penalty.
Scored the resultant penalty.
Had a goal disallowed.
Got a player sent off, but...

...managed to miss the easiest chance of the game at 2-1 which nearly cost us dearly

The fact that it was a game that WAS COSTING US DEARLY, until Tomer got on the pitch is irrelevant.

If we were Catalan's they'd be NSC'ers saying Messi wasn't good enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...managed to miss the easiest chance of the game at 2-1 which nearly cost us dearly
Not that it was an easy chance in the first place. Presumably the chance of the game was the header that our mum's could have scored. It's either that or sussex guy is talking shit again. Tough call.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that it was an easy chance in the first place. Presumably the chance of the game was the header that our mum's could have scored. It's either that or sussex guy is talking shit again. Tough call.
My Mum wouldn't even have had to get out of her wheelchair, to nod that goal in.
All the work was done by Salak, Hemed was just standing there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Did you go Saturday? Wilson and Baldock were clueless, Hemed completely changed the game, Wilson suddenly started to be involved, Hemed caused more problems in 5 minutes than the others had in 50 odd before him. He was outstanding. I really can't see why after scoring regularly he had been dropped. Certainly sent the right message to the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports