Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
See stats earlier and my intuition says Tomer Hemed is doing his job as target man striker with a 50% chance of getting a goal which as good as the competition (Vokes is 40%, Ulloa for Leicester is 40%). Aerial wins at 2.1 PG is not very good and compares unfavourably with Vokes 7.5m Garner 6.3, O'Grady 5.4.

It is the second stiker roles that the goalscoring ratio falls down although Zamora at 70% compares favourably with Andre Gray at 70%. *

PS: All our strikers have done much better when they start the game. Lualua is the most noticeable example this season. Rather than scoring against tiring defenders is backed up by what really is getting up to the pace of the game.happens. Subs went wrong against Wednesday. Better if we did not bring them on at all.

My main point would be bring the subs on at 66 minutes to get them up to speed of the game. Wait until 75 minutes and we'd be lucky if they get enough touches,

Subs seems to work better against the crappier teams.

Conventional wisdom to bring on an extra defender to preserve a lead might work best at 80 minutes (when the other side are going to take a risk and push forward anyway)?

Still don't know why we find it hard to keep a lead, as this used to be our strong point?

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
To label someone a happy clapper because they have a different opinion is not cool. We all support the same team. Such a shame to read that crap.

THPP couldn't correctly analyse a player if his life depended upon it.
Nice chap, though.
And LI makes Timmy look humble.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Let's deal with this bit by bit as you're clearly having one of your slower days.

Firstly, I did say that and I stand by it. That comment was after the Ipswich game on the 29th of December. Hemed put in a performance that was nothing short of embarrassing. He worked hard, yes, but my dog runs around a lot and you wouldn't call her a footballer. The point was, he added nothing of note to the team's performance in an attacking sense and moves broke down so regularly when the ball went into him that it was an embarrassment to watch. At that stage, he'd also only scored 1 goal in 14 games - whatever the reason for it, he was playing awfully and he didn't look up to the level required. It's excellent that he's had a bit of a turn around in form, but that run actually extended to just 1 in 19 through to the Brentford game. The problem at the time with Hemed was that, aside from running around a lot, when he wasn't scoring, he didn't add much to the team, as he lacks pace, his movement in dragging defenders out of position can be poor, he doesn't hold the ball up well and he's not actually that effective in the air. So when he's not scoring, he becomes a massive hindrance to the team. That he's now got 7 in 9 is excellent, but it doesn't change the fact that he had 1 in 14 at the time of writing and he wasn't adding much else to the team. That you're overlooking that reflects more poorly on you than it does on me, particularly as I've openly accepted his improvement in performance.

I said I was perplexed about what his qualities were. That's because AT THE TIME he was playing like a footballer who shouldn't be playing at this level. I've ALSO recognised his improved performances as part of a 2 man strike force and his improved strike rate. That's perfectly acceptable, but it also doesn't excuse his awful performances during that spell. And going back to my original point - still no one has told me what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring goals. It's like the reverse-Baldock debate. Baldock brings so much more to our side than Hemed, and it's no coincidence we haven't lost with him in the team this year, but he doesn't bring a strong supply of goals. To some that will mean he's not good enough. I look at Hemed and see the amount of chances we create every game in a side that is set up to bring the best out of him and he's only got 13 goals - on top of that, when he's not scoring, he wasn't bringing much to the side at the time - like I've said though, he's improving his all round game, maybe due to renewed confidence, and that's good for us, but it still doesn't overlook how poor he was at the time of writing.

And on to your last point regarding my first post (although it's really just a repeat of what I keep saying). I didn't say anything positive then because THERE WAS NOTHING POSITIVE IN THAT PERFORMANCE OR THE PREVIOUS 10 (where he had 1 in 14).. You've quoted a post but you've not read the context around it and that illustrates your inability to comprehend what's been written - it doesn't, however, prove you right or wrong regarding my comment about Hemed.

Furthermore, when i was referencing the positive elements of what I'd said, I was discussing the post you'd immediately quoted - at no point did I discuss the first post on the thread, or the others that I posted other than to say that I stood by the comments at the time because they reflected his extended run of poor form. The newest post was very much a "he didn't look like a forward that was good enough for this level during the original discussion, but he's improved dramatically and I recognise that improvement". That's a positive and logical analysis, and again, it reflects poorly on you that you're unable to comprehend something so simple. Does his improvement illustrate that he can play at this level? Yes, it probably does, albeit he's a confidence player and I'm still yet to see him play well when he's played as a lone striker. Has his all round game improved since he started scoring again? Yes, it has undoubtedly, and I recognise that, particularly with his link up play in results such as the 4-1 against BC. BUT, does that excuse his 1 goal in 19 and his disappearance throughout many of those 19 games? No it doesn't. Did his disappearance throughout those games cost us dearly throughout many of them? Yes it did, as it would when the focal point of your team isn't being effective. I'm glad he's come through it, but at the time he simply didn't deserve his place in our side and he didn't look good enough for this level, and the 1 in 19 reflects that more than his two separate spurts of goals that have totalled 13 for the season.

I do love it when a fleeting opinion comes back to kick us up the arse. Happens to me all the time :lolol:
What is very clear indeed, is that AT THE TIME you misjudged his ability by a considerable margin. Perhaps you misunderstood the difference between one performance and overall ability. :thumbsup:

Let's deal with this bit by bit as you're clearly having one of your slower days.

Firstly, I did say that and I stand by it. That comment was after the Ipswich game on the 29th of December. Hemed put in a performance that was nothing short of embarrassing. He worked hard, yes, but my dog runs around a lot and you wouldn't call her a footballer. The point was, he added nothing of note to the team's performance in an attacking sense and moves broke down so regularly when the ball went into him that it was an embarrassment to watch. At that stage, he'd also only scored 1 goal in 14 games - whatever the reason for it, he was playing awfully and he didn't look up to the level required. It's excellent that he's had a bit of a turn around in form, but that run actually extended to just 1 in 19 through to the Brentford game. The problem at the time with Hemed was that, aside from running around a lot, when he wasn't scoring, he didn't add much to the team, as he lacks pace, his movement in dragging defenders out of position can be poor, he doesn't hold the ball up well and he's not actually that effective in the air. So when he's not scoring, he becomes a massive hindrance to the team. That he's now got 7 in 9 is excellent, but it doesn't change the fact that he had 1 in 14 at the time of writing and he wasn't adding much else to the team. That you're overlooking that reflects more poorly on you than it does on me, particularly as I've openly accepted his improvement in performance.

I said I was perplexed about what his qualities were. That's because AT THE TIME he was playing like a footballer who shouldn't be playing at this level. I've ALSO recognised his improved performances as part of a 2 man strike force and his improved strike rate. That's perfectly acceptable, but it also doesn't excuse his awful performances during that spell. And going back to my original point - still no one has told me what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring goals. It's like the reverse-Baldock debate. Baldock brings so much more to our side than Hemed, and it's no coincidence we haven't lost with him in the team this year, but he doesn't bring a strong supply of goals. To some that will mean he's not good enough. I look at Hemed and see the amount of chances we create every game in a side that is set up to bring the best out of him and he's only got 13 goals - on top of that, when he's not scoring, he wasn't bringing much to the side at the time - like I've said though, he's improving his all round game, maybe due to renewed confidence, and that's good for us, but it still doesn't overlook how poor he was at the time of writing.

And on to your last point regarding my first post (although it's really just a repeat of what I keep saying). I didn't say anything positive then because THERE WAS NOTHING POSITIVE IN THAT PERFORMANCE OR THE PREVIOUS 10 (where he had 1 in 14).. You've quoted a post but you've not read the context around it and that illustrates your inability to comprehend what's been written - it doesn't, however, prove you right or wrong regarding my comment about Hemed.

Furthermore, when i was referencing the positive elements of what I'd said, I was discussing the post you'd immediately quoted - at no point did I discuss the first post on the thread, or the others that I posted other than to say that I stood by the comments at the time because they reflected his extended run of poor form. The newest post was very much a "he didn't look like a forward that was good enough for this level during the original discussion, but he's improved dramatically and I recognise that improvement". That's a positive and logical analysis, and again, it reflects poorly on you that you're unable to comprehend something so simple. Does his improvement illustrate that he can play at this level? Yes, it probably does, albeit he's a confidence player and I'm still yet to see him play well when he's played as a lone striker. Has his all round game improved since he started scoring again? Yes, it has undoubtedly, and I recognise that, particularly with his link up play in results such as the 4-1 against BC. BUT, does that excuse his 1 goal in 19 and his disappearance throughout many of those 19 games? No it doesn't. Did his disappearance throughout those games cost us dearly throughout many of them? Yes it did, as it would when the focal point of your team isn't being effective. I'm glad he's come through it, but at the time he simply didn't deserve his place in our side and he didn't look good enough for this level, and the 1 in 19 reflects that more than his two separate spurts of goals that have totalled 13 for the season.

There is no pleasing some people! Perhaps Hemed is doing well now because he is getting the service from two wingers? In most of those games that he didn't score we barely had one! Can't think of many misses in front of goal by our Israeli International. 13 goals scored & it's not even Easter! A snip of a buy for £2m

For me, alongside Kayal, Bruno & Stockdsle he has been one of our top 4 consistent players in a long season so far.

After Ulloa he has to be our 2nd best forward, so far at The Amex & this is only season one for him!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't think of many misses in front of goal by our Israeli International.
I doubt there are many more blinkered that I when it comes to Tomer, but I still think that's stretching the point.
TH has missed more than enough (probably too many) decent chances this season, and it's those that have probably stuck in the minds of those getting grief now.

After Ulloa he has to be our 2nd best forward, so far at The Amex & this is only season one for him!
I tend to agree, but that needs to be matched against the quality of the 20+ other strikers.
(I have a sneaking feeling that number isn't even close :ohmy:).

I doubt there are many more blinkered that I when it comes to Tomer, but I still think that's stretching the point.
TH has missed more than enough (probably too many) decent chances this season, and it's those that have probably stuck in the minds of those getting grief now.

I tend to agree, but that needs to be matched against the quality of the 20+ other strikers.
(I have a sneaking feeling that number isn't even close :ohmy:).

Agree - we really have had very poor strikers at The Amex. I suppose if the club won't spend decent money on one then you get what you pay for. Ulloa, Hemed & Barnes apart the rest are all very forgettable ...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Personally I think generally we are a better side with TH in the side ..and for his first season in the championship alongside his international commitments he has got through an awful lot of work....ye there was a period when he didn't score...he was almost trying too hard at one stage...but he always put a shift in ..and his defensive work often goes unnoticed...for example one off the line at Derby...overall I think he's been value for money

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
THPP couldn't correctly analyse a player if his life depended upon it.
Nice chap, though.
And LI makes Timmy look humble.

Can't comment on the player's most recent performances as have been out of the country for the past three weeks. But I'd be gobsmacked if he's suddenly started looking anything other than overweight and ponderous. But, fair play, let the smug-after-the-event told-you-so's have their day, bless. On a wider level, does this mean nobody can ever express an opinion on a player based on what he's actually done, after he's done it, rather than what he might or might not do at some unspecified point in the future. Would suggest that might make for one dull ol' message board.
Oh well :shrug:

Leon Knight
He's Alright
As Is Ashley Barnes BTW

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't comment on the player's most recent performances as have been out of the country for the past three weeks. But I'd be gobsmacked if he's suddenly started looking anything other than overweight and ponderous. But, fair play, let the smug-after-the-event told-you-so's have their day, bless. On a wider level, does this mean nobody can ever express an opinion on a player based on what he's actually done, after he's done it, rather than what he might or might not do at some unspecified point in the future. Would suggest that might make for one dull ol' message board.
Oh well :shrug:

Leon Knight
He's Alright
As Is Ashley Barnes BTW

:bowdown:

Think I've finally go to grips with your sense of humour! :dunce:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Ashley Barnes ran around a bit more than Tomer Hemed and got into wider spaces to get the ball more in a one winger system. Important when playing the sides that play deep defence. Strike rate comparable only inferior by the width of the post and Vicente put some key passes on a plate for him. Service was probably of a higher quality back then but a lesser quantity.

I think Hemed could take up better positions try and lose his marker from throw-ins. Move into an offside position is one technique from a throw in if he is careful not to interfere with play or move back onside if the throw in goes to someone else.

By the not so simple expedient of practising how a some Premier League clubs and watch out how Watford do it, for example.

Bobby Zamora seems to have the natural instinct of getting into goalscoring positions.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think Ashley Barnes ran around a bit more than Tomer Hemed and got into wider spaces to get the ball more in a one winger system. Important when playing the sides that play deep defence. Strike rate comparable only inferior by the width of the post and Vicente put some key passes on a plate for him. Service was probably of a higher quality back then but a lesser quantity.

I think Hemed could take up better positions try and lose his marker from throw-ins. Move into an offside position is one technique from a throw in if he is careful not to interfere with play or move back onside if the throw in goes to someone else.

By the not so simple expedient of practising how a some Premier League clubs and watch out how Watford do it, for example.

Bobby Zamora seems to have the natural instinct of getting into goalscoring positions.

I fell asleep half-way through your post :yawn:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here