Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] HELP SAVE THE PRINCE ALBERT!!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Planning application refused:

Reading through the tweets, the reason for refusal seems to be primarily a heritage/cultural reasond.

There will probably be an appeal and I wouldn't be surprised if, in the eyes of an impartial inspector, that was successful. Potentially, public opinion has swayed the commitee, despite that opinion being a bit misguided, IMO (and I say that as someone who absolutely does want the pub/venue to continue).

Clearly not suitable for residential use, but commercial seems fine to me, but I'm not a heritage expert, but then that's 'only' design.

Either the site stays derelict and a dump, or it's appropriately developed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
eventually something gets pushed through for the site, risk would be under a different time and council it may be less favourable for the Prince Albert.

it's up for £2.2m, if anyone want to arrange a whip round and control the future development?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
eventually something gets pushed through for the site, risk would be under a different time and council it may be less favourable for the Prince Albert.

it's up for £2.2m, if anyone want to arrange a whip round and control the future development?
Crowdfunding!

I remember something similar happening quite a few decades ago where land which was for sale for development was purchased by protestors with some sort of whip-round. It was divided up into small parcels and all the contributors owned a piece. The idea being in the first instance it stopped development. And second it future-proofed the land as it would need everyone to change their mind and sell their parcel. Something along these lines anyway. 2.2m is a lot to raise though.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
TB should buy the site to develop it as a museum/supporters club/shop/ bar/ other uses as a town centre ’hub‘ for the club

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Crowdfunding!

I remember something similar happening quite a few decades ago where land which was for sale for development was purchased by protestors with some sort of whip-round. It was divided up into small parcels and all the contributors owned a piece. The idea being in the first instance it stopped development. And second it future-proofed the land as it would need everyone to change their mind and sell their parcel. Something along these lines anyway. 2.2m is a lot to raise though.
it's a very good idea, far more proactive than protesting and complaining about development for years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is great news, I wonder how much FBS had to do with it as his set Monday made mainstream news.
What would now be great is all of those people who signed the petition and are local enough now actually visit the Albert…..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is great news, I wonder how much FBS had to do with it as his set Monday made mainstream news.
What would now be great is all of those people who signed the petition and are local enough now actually visit the Albert…..
I’m not local but, and without fail, I always visit The Albert when I’m in town. It’s for no other reason than it’s a brilliant pub with some superb ales and beers and always an interesting mix of people.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Instead of starting another thread, I'll just hijack this one. Is the Price Albert open today and, if so, does it do good food?

Heading into town and looking for a decent pub near the station. All recommendations gratefully received :thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
Unless it has changed recently, no food in the Albert. The Bao place in The Pond is good for lunch.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Instead of starting another thread, I'll just hijack this one. Is the Price Albert open today and, if so, does it do good food?

Heading into town and looking for a decent pub near the station. All recommendations gratefully received :thumbsup:
no food, the kebab wraps from Alushi opposite are v good.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Caxton the obvious choice - you can spend time looking at the Albion memorabilia while waiting for your lunch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here