Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello again....the Ipswich view

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Unfortunately I can't make it along tomorrow night - think it's the first BHA away trip I've missed in the last ten or so which is a shame.

Good to see you people having a good season - just shows what a decent Championship boss can do with patience, training ground coaching and resources to bring players in. Hughton is an excellent choice at this level and looking forward to see you going up with Newcastle.

We've had a very inconsistent season - injuries haven't helped, lack of investment hasn't helped and selling Daryl Murphy on the last day of the summer window without a replacement definitely didn't help.

However, we are where we are as we simply haven't been as good on the pitch than the last few seasons.

You'll probably have see our rotten display at Lincoln but actually just before and since then we have stuck with a new identity, new players and the confidence is beginning to come back - our last two performances have shown that.

We have some real injury problems at centre back for tomorrow - Christophe Berra, Steven Taylor, Adam Webster (great young player) and Tommy Smith are all out.

However, we have Tom Lawrence and David McGoldrick fit and firing up front - without doubt our best two technical players who play with their heads up.

I'm expecting a 3-1 Brighton home win - in a lot of ways it's a bit of a 'free' game for us on the back of the win at Villa.

I just hope we continue the last two performances, see it as a chance to pit our wits against the division's best and build some more confidence and begun to build a new identity.

All the best
AL

PS : Not that anyone is bothered, but I'm a Mick McCarthy fan. He can come across arrogant and has never really bonded with Ipswich fans but he is working on buttons and string. You can get a lot worse than Mick in that context.

Have always liked Mick McCarthy. Honest, Sensible and down to earth

And we didn't cover ourselves in glory at Lincoln, either.

And much rather see you do alright than Delia Smith's Green and Yellow mess.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
One thing I particularly like about McCarthy is that, to my memory, I can't ever recall him blaming the ref for a defeat. No doubt the OP will put me right, having heard a lot more of his post-match interviews than I have, but he always seems to give an honest opinion and doesn't blame every defeat, every negative thing that happens to his club, on the officials. A few managers, particularly in the top flight, could learn something from him in that respect.

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
One thing I particularly like about McCarthy is that, to my memory, I can't ever recall him blaming the ref for a defeat. No doubt the OP will put me right, having heard a lot more of his post-match interviews than I have, but he always seems to give an honest opinion and doesn't blame every defeat, every negative thing that happens to his club, on the officials. A few managers, particularly in the top flight, could learn something from him in that respect.

In his four years at the club he has never once moaned about officials.

We had a shocking display by the ref earlier this season at Reading and he somehow kept his mouth shut.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have always liked Mick McCarthy. Honest, Sensible and down to earth

And we didn't cover ourselves in glory at Lincoln, either.

And much rather see you do alright than Delia Smith's Green and Yellow mess.

All of this. Have always liked MM, comes across as a decent, honest bloke. A bit Hughton-like, in fact.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Spence and Knudsen playing 60 minutes at centre back on Saturday and had never played there before.

Depends if we stick with 5-3-2 or 4-4-2

Luke Chambers will definitely be one centre back.

Tommy Smith is playing in the U23s tonight so doubt he will be the other one.

We may either play three centre backs in Knudsen-Chambers-Spence and the two kids at full back/wing back in Emmanuel and Kenlock.

Down to the bare bones but they will only get better playing in games like this.

Thanks for the write up Arnold. If Tommy Smith is anything like his namesake, the Liverpool legend and hard man, then we are happy he will not be crunching Knocky's and March's legs to morrow night! We need those legs.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Always liked MM as well, especially after he told me which train was heading to T Wells at Charing X late one evening when I was a bit the worse for wear !!

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
MM is a top bloke. Best of luck for the remainder of the season after tomorrow night.

Always found Ipswich a decent bunch unlike those 6 fingered neighbours of yours.

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
MM is a top bloke. Best of luck for the remainder of the season after tomorrow night.

Always found Ipswich a decent bunch unlike those 6 fingered neighbours of yours.

Ha ha cheers.

Yeh those idiots up the road have been insufferable over the recent years thanks to beating us consistently.

They will never have our history though.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
McCarthy has confirmed that Tommy Smith will not play tomorrow. In fact, sounds like you have a LOT of injuries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christophe Berra, Steven Taylor and Cole Skuse have all been ruled out of Tuesday’s visit to second-in-the-table Brighton and Hove Albion.

Berra and Taylor were both subbed during the first half of Saturday’s 1-0 win at Aston Villa and manager Mick McCarthy confirmed that they will miss the trip to the Amex.

“They’re both injured,” he said. “Steven Taylor’s got a hamstring injury which will keep him out for four weeks, I would have thought, and Christophe can’t play because he was concussed, so he’ll be back on Saturday.

“I think he’d like to play but I’ve said he can’t, that’s the rules, I’m not being held responsible for any subsequent damage which might happen. You can’t risk it.”

Despite losing two more centre-halves to injury - Adam Webster is already out for the season with an ankle problem - McCarthy says he’s not been tempted to hasten Tommy Smith’s return to the first team.

The New Zealand international will play his second U23s game at West Brom tonight having undergone back surgery in September.

“It would be wrong to rush Tommy back, he’s not ready for that,” he added. “Having spoken to him yesterday he never intimated to me that maybe he could go and play at Brighton.

“I saw him play for the U23s last Monday and he was fine, he got through the game but he’s not ready to play in the first team yet.

“And to risk that with all the games we’ve got coming up would be daft. He’s got to be fully fit.

“I’ve always thought Jonas Knudsen would make a great left-sided centre-back in a three, I think that’s a position for full-backs really if they’re a good size and they can head it.

“They’re happier going out defending one-v-one rather than centre-halves. That suited him and I thought Jordan Spence was excellent when he came on.”

He added: “I’ve always thought it was a position for full-backs. They have to go wide and play from there and me being a centre-half kind of recognises that.

“Rather than having to go and play wide in the right-back slot, I liked to stay down the middle, that’s what centre-halves do.”

The Town boss says Saturday’s goalscorer Emyr Huws is fine despite taking a knock at Villa Park.

“He got nasty bang on the knee, he’s got a bruised knee,” he said. “I’ve just spoken to him and he says he’s OK.”

But fellow midfielder Skuse won’t be back until the weekend due to the achilles injury he suffered against Reading.

“Skusey’s not fit, fingers crossed he’ll be fit for Leeds because we don’t have Toums for that game,” McCarthy continued.

Recently signed winger Danny Rowe could also be available for Saturday’s home game against Leeds.

“He’s got a groin strain,” McCarthy said. “I think he’ll be training on Thursday. He’ll probably be available for Saturday.

“He came in and he did really well in the U23s last week and if he’s fit he’ll be in the squad.”

On-loan Reading striker Dominic Samuel is undergoing his rehab with the Blues having broken his toe in training on Friday.

“I haven’t seen him today, I came in a bit late because we were training later. The injured, the sick, lame and lazy were all in before me. I’ve seen his car, so he’s obviously here,” the Blues manager added.

“It is a blow, he came in, he looked good in training, he scored a hat-trick in the U23s and then he limped off on the Friday, broke his toe - six weeks out, I think.”

Better news is that Luke Hyam will play for the U23s this evening, his first game since suffering a knee injury in the pre-season friendly at Cambridge which eventually required surgery.

“I spoke to him on the way into training, just to wish him luck,” McCarthy said. “He’s had a big smile on his face, looking forward to the game, he’s quite excited by the fact that he’s going to get back playing.

"He may only do 60 minutes but knowing him he’ll attack it like he always does.”

The Town boss says the Blues have missed the 25-year-old’s tenacity and bite in midfield: “I remember going to Brighton last year, he was on the bench and Kevin Bru had run out of gas.

"I took him off and I put Luke on and he played in behind the strikers and he closed the defenders down, got about them and tackled.

“He can make a difference, his energy, his positivity and the way he plays. Fingers crossed he’ll be all right tonight.”

With the Brighton match the second of three in eight days is McCarthy tempted to make a few changes? “There’s the dilemma isn’t it? Don’t change the team, leave it and if anything goes wrong I should have freshened it up.

“Change it and it’s ‘Why the hell are you changing it when you’ve had a really good performance and won it?’. We’ll see.”

Jonny Williams (shoulder) and Giles Coke (knee) both also remain sidelined.

- See more at: http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-...-skuse-all-miss-brighton#sthash.fDA8wK95.dpuf

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
McCarthy has confirmed that Tommy Smith will not play tomorrow. In fact, sounds like you have a LOT of injuries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christophe Berra, Steven Taylor and Cole Skuse have all been ruled out of Tuesday’s visit to second-in-the-table Brighton and Hove Albion.

Berra and Taylor were both subbed during the first half of Saturday’s 1-0 win at Aston Villa and manager Mick McCarthy confirmed that they will miss the trip to the Amex.

“They’re both injured,” he said. “Steven Taylor’s got a hamstring injury which will keep him out for four weeks, I would have thought, and Christophe can’t play because he was concussed, so he’ll be back on Saturday.

“I think he’d like to play but I’ve said he can’t, that’s the rules, I’m not being held responsible for any subsequent damage which might happen. You can’t risk it.”

Despite losing two more centre-halves to injury - Adam Webster is already out for the season with an ankle problem - McCarthy says he’s not been tempted to hasten Tommy Smith’s return to the first team.

The New Zealand international will play his second U23s game at West Brom tonight having undergone back surgery in September.

“It would be wrong to rush Tommy back, he’s not ready for that,” he added. “Having spoken to him yesterday he never intimated to me that maybe he could go and play at Brighton.

“I saw him play for the U23s last Monday and he was fine, he got through the game but he’s not ready to play in the first team yet.

“And to risk that with all the games we’ve got coming up would be daft. He’s got to be fully fit.

“I’ve always thought Jonas Knudsen would make a great left-sided centre-back in a three, I think that’s a position for full-backs really if they’re a good size and they can head it.

“They’re happier going out defending one-v-one rather than centre-halves. That suited him and I thought Jordan Spence was excellent when he came on.”

He added: “I’ve always thought it was a position for full-backs. They have to go wide and play from there and me being a centre-half kind of recognises that.

“Rather than having to go and play wide in the right-back slot, I liked to stay down the middle, that’s what centre-halves do.”

The Town boss says Saturday’s goalscorer Emyr Huws is fine despite taking a knock at Villa Park.

“He got nasty bang on the knee, he’s got a bruised knee,” he said. “I’ve just spoken to him and he says he’s OK.”

But fellow midfielder Skuse won’t be back until the weekend due to the achilles injury he suffered against Reading.

“Skusey’s not fit, fingers crossed he’ll be fit for Leeds because we don’t have Toums for that game,” McCarthy continued.

Recently signed winger Danny Rowe could also be available for Saturday’s home game against Leeds.

“He’s got a groin strain,” McCarthy said. “I think he’ll be training on Thursday. He’ll probably be available for Saturday.

“He came in and he did really well in the U23s last week and if he’s fit he’ll be in the squad.”

On-loan Reading striker Dominic Samuel is undergoing his rehab with the Blues having broken his toe in training on Friday.

“I haven’t seen him today, I came in a bit late because we were training later. The injured, the sick, lame and lazy were all in before me. I’ve seen his car, so he’s obviously here,” the Blues manager added.

“It is a blow, he came in, he looked good in training, he scored a hat-trick in the U23s and then he limped off on the Friday, broke his toe - six weeks out, I think.”

Better news is that Luke Hyam will play for the U23s this evening, his first game since suffering a knee injury in the pre-season friendly at Cambridge which eventually required surgery.

“I spoke to him on the way into training, just to wish him luck,” McCarthy said. “He’s had a big smile on his face, looking forward to the game, he’s quite excited by the fact that he’s going to get back playing.

"He may only do 60 minutes but knowing him he’ll attack it like he always does.”

The Town boss says the Blues have missed the 25-year-old’s tenacity and bite in midfield: “I remember going to Brighton last year, he was on the bench and Kevin Bru had run out of gas.

"I took him off and I put Luke on and he played in behind the strikers and he closed the defenders down, got about them and tackled.

“He can make a difference, his energy, his positivity and the way he plays. Fingers crossed he’ll be all right tonight.”

With the Brighton match the second of three in eight days is McCarthy tempted to make a few changes? “There’s the dilemma isn’t it? Don’t change the team, leave it and if anything goes wrong I should have freshened it up.

“Change it and it’s ‘Why the hell are you changing it when you’ve had a really good performance and won it?’. We’ll see.”

Jonny Williams (shoulder) and Giles Coke (knee) both also remain sidelined.

- See more at: http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-...-skuse-all-miss-brighton#sthash.fDA8wK95.dpuf

Good article, seems MM is not going to risk players against us, but a few will feature against the Champions Of Europe at the weekend.
Just pull up a chair Mick, have a chat with Chris and relax.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Think we need to be a bit careful here - the assumption seems to be growing that we only have to turn up and we'll win easily as they are severely down on numbers. Could be a bit of a smokescreen going on, last thing we want is one of those really flat evenings atmosphere wise that feeds into the team and we get caught out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Villa definitely on top in the first half and probably deserved to lead. The first team I have ever seen who have tried to physically intimidate us so blatantly since we've had McCarthy as manager.

However, despite losing two centre backs we stood up to it and played very well second half capped with a late winner.

Villa fans not happy.
Good :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just checked the odds - after Ipswich's away win at Villa, we're 6/11! WTF?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I have always liked MM. Always an honest assessment after every game and not up his own backside.

Never had a problem with Ipswich in general TBH - a good football club much like our own (apart from that stupid banner a couple of years ago).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Always a worry when a team has loads of injuries. We've come unstuck before so let's get the job done.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
agree need to focus on winning the game and not who turns up... yes we have seen 'second' teams do well because often they are playing for contracts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here