Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heatwave? Warmwave more like.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It hit Thirty FIVE here yesterday, and as humid as fck. Anyone sitting in pleasant dry conditions in GEELONG or PERTH, telling us this is only 'warm', can suck my (sweaty) balls*.

*They can't really.

*Unless they are birds. And fit.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
England heatwave warnings extended

For most of the country we have not had temperatures over 30 degrees for any extended period of time in the past couple of weeks. Maybe for an hour or so on two or three days.

Temperatures in the upper 20s is not a frigging HEATWAVE. Pretty warm for the UK, but that's about it.

When we hit the low 30s (90 in old money) for a week, now that's a heatwave.

Let's stop all this exaggeration.

Stop moaning about it, and enjoy it. What would you like Overcast and Rain?! Like we had last year.....

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Stop moaning about it, and enjoy it. What would you like Overcast and Rain?! Like we had last year.....

If you read my original email you will note that I'm not moaning about the heat, merely pointing out that, despite all the wild exaggerations in the press, this cannot really be described as a heatwave.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the heatwave term is decided (probably by committee) relative to average temperatures and the health effects the heat has on the locals. so its a heatwave because someone said so.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It can kill people - and has done overe the last few days. I think that is good reason to listen to what is being said. Get over it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It can kill people - and has done overe the last few days. I think that is good reason to listen to what is being said. Get over it.

Has it really killed people? I would like to see some genuine examples.

Drowning because you jump into a flooded quarry is NOT a death caused by a heatwave.

If it's old people dying of dehydration, they were likely dying anyway and this just speeded the process up by a couple of days.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

Drowning because you jump into a flooded quarry is NOT a death caused by a heatwave.

If it's old people dying of dehydration, they were likely dying anyway and this just speeded the process up by a couple of days.

Heat can cause people will illnesses they could have lived with for years to die of respiratory problems, in France in 2003 almost 15000 people died during a terrible heatwave of heat related deaths. Not just the old and sick that would have died anyway going a couple of days earlier.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
A heat wave is a prolonged period of excessively hot weather, which may be accompanied by high humidity. While definitions vary,[1] a heat wave is measured relative to the usual weather in the area and relative to normal temperatures for the season. Temperatures that people from a hotter climate consider normal can be termed a heat wave in a cooler area if they are outside the normal climate pattern for that area.[2] The term is applied both to routine weather variations and to extraordinary spells of heat which may occur only once a century. Severe heat waves have caused catastrophic crop failures, thousands of deaths from hyperthermia, and widespread power outages due to increased use of air conditioning

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It did hit 32 deg in UK this week, that's pretty hot in my book..... Anyone posting about how hot it elsewhere either hasn't been here when it's this hot or forgotten what if feels like, I've spent a lot of time in Phoenix in far hotter temps than now, but it's more comfortable at >40 there than 30 here.......

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta

so what you're basically saying is"the heat doesn't affect me -**** everybody else"?

:tosser:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
If a thread about snow or lack of it can get to several hundred pages, then a couple of threads on the "heatwave" shouldn't be a problem to anyone at all.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A severe cold snap in winter with snow and ice on untreated roads and homes not heated will kill far more people. If these 'heatwave victims' want to stay in the sun all day and not drink enough water then that's their own fault I'm afraid.

All we do in this country is moan, moan, moan. People should join more gyms in January, like they say they will and sweat it out to prepare for this weather.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
A severe cold snap in winter with snow and ice on untreated roads and homes not heated will kill far more people. If these 'heatwave victims' want to stay in the sun all day and not drink enough water then that's their own fault I'm afraid.

All we do in this country is moan, moan, moan. People should join more gyms in January, like they say they will and sweat it out to prepare for this weather.

You think the hundreds or maybe thousands of sick and old people who will die during this heatwave lose their lives because they spend too long sunbathing? Amazingly stupid comment sir

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Our usual temp for this month is about 22, our summers are usually cooler and cloudier and wetter
In Plymouth, for the past 2 weeks we have not seen a single cloud, the temps are given as a shade temp which has been about 28 to 30 every day, but most people need or want to be in the sun, the temp gauge in my van, in the sun has been between 35 and 40 everyday, and it is set to continue into next week
For this country, this is a heatwave, not complaining but tricky to work in the sun

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ironically it was quite chilly when I got home tonight. Wind blowing in off the North Sea. Bloody Norway and its snow covered mountains.

Martyn20 reminds me I'd better check in on my 87 year old second cousin tomorrow . . . .

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This. Working in London atm is horrible.

Must be horrible for a couple/few weeks a year.

Rest of the time you feel dead cool earning loads more than everywhere else, having the best public transport in the UK, and feeling oh so superior than eveyone else? :thumbup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here