[News] Heat emergency declared in England

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
38 degrees currently in my part of Leeds it's like an oven out there. House all closed off curtains/blinds/windows shut since about 9:30am, relying on insulation to keep it out.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
38 degrees currently in my part of Leeds it's like an oven out there. House all closed off curtains/blinds/windows shut since about 9:30am, relying on insulation to keep it out.

A fan assisted one at that!
I didn't think the window shutting would work and my dear wife was very sceptical, but it seems to have kept the inside down to around 27oC which is about the best we could hope for.
Have also covered the kitchen windows in newspaper (no blinds).

20220718_074705.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wildfires in Havering (east London) have now reached and set fire to buildings. Given how dense the housing is in that part of greater London and how fresh the winds are this afternoon, this could be horrendous.

I won't reproduce the photo out of respect for copyright etc, but for those who want to see how bad this is getting in London, this is a safe link to a picture:

https://inews.co.uk/news/wennington...-grass-blaze-breaks-out-amid-heatwave-1750419

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wildfires in Havering (east London) have now reached and set fire to buildings. Given how dense the housing is in that part of greater London and how fresh the winds are this afternoon, this could be horrendous.

I won't reproduce the photo out of respect for copyright etc, but for those who want to see how bad this is getting in London, this is a safe link to a picture:

https://inews.co.uk/news/wennington...-grass-blaze-breaks-out-amid-heatwave-1750419

Sounds like more media hysteria to me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm surprised at you considering Bry is an ex firefighter.

I think [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] is making a point about people claiming it is all media hysteria, rather than believing it is all media hysteria.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] is making a point about people claiming it is all media hysteria, rather than believing it is all media hysteria.

You're probably right and I apologise [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I thought it wasn't like you and I should have thought twice. Sorry fella.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes, I’d hope some of those who’ve spent the last few days trivialising this or playing it down might look at some of those gutted houses (not to mention destroyed farmland) and reflect that maybe they got this wrong. Doubt it though, just as those who claimed COVID was just a cold vanished in May 2020 I expect we won’t see them on here again.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ve stayed away from this thread for many reasons, but working in the sector I do ... I can tell you all that by 2080 vast swathes of the south east will be a scorched desert littered with the sun bleached bones of climate change deniers ...

The end is nigh.

Well, of the world as we know it.

One off my arse.

All of this, all of it mark me, is an absolute tragedy.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Best wishes to all the fire fighters not only in the UK but throughout Western Europe who are having to tackle these wild fires in this heat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem perhaps the media weren't being quite so hysterical, after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports