Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Peter Smith can certainly tackle!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great post, I loved watching that back. There's some really interesting points about the premier league and the value of clubs outside it, something everyone should reflect on given that we're at the other end of the spectrum.

John Baine's comments summed it up perfectly, "I'm a Brighton fan, I want them to be successful but I'll support them whether they are or not". It's worth reminding ourselves that the premier league isnt the be all and end all. Its the very fact that we have a club in our own town that we can follow is what matters.

I remember Danny Baker saying that the only interest most ardent fans have is in the division in which your team plays. So true imo, it is exactly how I have felt in all the time supporting the Albion. When we were in the Championship I hardly ever watched MOTD or Premier League games. Now we are in the PL I very seldom watch a Championship game. When we were at the arse end of the league I had no interest in the three divisions above us :shrug:

Anyway I think [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] is making a rod for his own back and is likely to stay an Albion fan even when Potter moves on :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We did a special Scars & Stripes for that game, which you can read on https://www.flickr.com/photos/75238685@N02/sets/72157673679852875/player

29587233645_e146ad93ad_h.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great post, I loved watching that back. There's some really interesting points about the premier league and the value of clubs outside it, something everyone should reflect on given that we're at the other end of the spectrum.

John Baine's comments summed it up perfectly, "I'm a Brighton fan, I want them to be successful but I'll support them whether they are or not". It's worth reminding ourselves that the premier league isnt the be all and end all. Its the very fact that we have a club in our own town that we can follow is what matters.

Very interesting comments. This could be the subject of a book, and probably has been. Or a sociology thesis. Or an anthropology thesis.

It boils down to this. When should we be satisfied and what happens when we are? When you have been lying in the gutter staring up at the stars, to what extent should you contine to demand more after you have ascended into the fermament? On the one hand, one feels like an ungrateful entitled b'stard to complain about anything. On the other hand, it is only by striving, working hard and setting goals that we (or indeed the club) got to where we are, and if we don't keep at it, all will be lost. There is never a time or reason for putting your feet up and lighting a massive spliff.

For me, yes, strive and strive again.

However, let's not make things up in a deluded over-entitled Violet Elizabeth Bott style tantrum about why we haven't singed a striker. Nobody knows what our players are paid and what it says in their contracts (e.g., about 'highest earner' arrangements) apart from Tony and his confidants. Nobody would be doing a smarter and more successful job if they were put in charge of recruitment, certainly no ordinary member of NSC.

I know this is a football forum, and that speculation and opinion are the oxygen and blood of the NSC life-form. But it does nobody any good to make up shit and tell lies and use that to slag off the club. You know who I'm talking about here (quite a few people as it happens). And as for making up shit and telling lies about politics......oh well. Rant over.

Thanks for posting that vid [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Well I had some shit of my own at that time... but I get what you mean, obviously watching history is different from being in it.

Respect for [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] for the learning tho eh

I think a lot of us have given some grief to Swansman at times, myself included. When he first appeared it irked me that a Swansea fan was coming on to our forum and telling us about our club. But I think I misjudged him. He clearly has become interested in the Albion, and I think it’s great that he’s learning about our history. You can’t blame someone for not being involved 20 years ago in something they had no idea was taking place and for not knowing that they would be interested in it in 20 years time.

Everybody has to start somewhere and I think Swansman’s definitely earned his right to voice his opinion on here. To be clear that’s not me arrogantly giving someone permission to post on here, it’s an apology for my earlier misjudgement.

One thing I have been reflecting on during lockdown, is about how NSC isn’t just a forum, it’s a community. Lots of us post on here regularly, not just about football but about all facets of our lives. Yes people take the piss out each other on here, insult each other sometimes, disagree over politics, but we also inform each other, help each other out, sympathise with each other. I look back on those days in the video and how we all came together to help save our club, which was the heart of our City, and that community still exists, it exists here on NSC.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think a lot of us have given some grief to Swansman at times, myself included. When he first appeared it irked me that a Swansea fan was coming on to our forum and telling us about our club. But I think I misjudged him. He clearly has become interested in the Albion, and I think it’s great that he’s learning about our history. You can’t blame someone for not being involved 20 years ago in something they had no idea was taking place and for not knowing that they would be interested in it in 20 years time.

Everybody has to start somewhere and I think Swansman’s definitely earned his right to voice his opinion on here. To be clear that’s not me arrogantly giving someone permission to post on here, it’s an apology for my earlier misjudgement.

One thing I have been reflecting on during lockdown, is about how NSC isn’t just a forum, it’s a community. Lots of us post on here regularly, not just about football but about all facets of our lives. Yes people take the piss out each other on here, insult each other sometimes, disagree over politics, but we also inform each other, help each other out, sympathise with each other. I look back on those days in the video and how we all came together to help save our club, which was the heart of our City, and that community still exists, it exists here on NSC.
Well said. I agree with all.

It is good to be part of this community and on the whole it is a force for good.

Swansman is a good poster. I don't agree with everything he says but he is a good addition to NSC and a welcome outside voice.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It's a cliche but unless you were there its difficult to explain how much of a fight, effort, imagination, creativity, PR skills and persistence the fans put into the campaign of ending Bill Archer's grip on the club. Everything we have today is due to those fans and Dick Knight.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A big part of our lives destroyed by Archer, Stanley and Bellotti. Watching that brings back the anger even after all these years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Isn’t he a Potter fan, rather than Swansea as such. And Swedish? Correct me if I’m wrong [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

I find him a decent poster, decisive in a good way, not a bold statement ‘look at me’ way...!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Paging [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION]!

Sorry, late to this.

God, I can't bear to watch that.

Just an hour or so before filming I bumped into my ex-fiancée for the first time since we'd painfully split the previous year... and, out of the blue, she begged to get back together. *shudder*

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sorry, late to this.

God, I can't bear to watch that.

Just an hour or so before filming I bumped into my ex-fiancée for the first time since we'd painfully split the previous year... and, out of the blue, she begged to get back together. *shudder*
It doesn’t show, you spoke really well.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Isn’t he a Potter fan, rather than Swansea as such. And Swedish? Correct me if I’m wrong [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

I find him a decent poster, decisive in a good way, not a bold statement ‘look at me’ way...!

He is indeed and I gave him a lift Back into Brighton after the fans forum last season. He’s a very nice guy and a real follower of GP who of course made his name in Sweden. Long may he post here:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here