Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head coach - new title or new structure?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its just a job title. Head coach, manager, same thing anyway. There's no law on what goes in the job descriptions of each post and surely it is being done to ensure that no-one is being appointed to Gus's job (Although I can imagine any court or tribunal seeing straight through that).

Maybe its what Oscar has requested because that's what he is used to at his other clubs.

The board did promise us an 'interim manager' though, so whats happened to that?

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I would imagine it will be exactly as bloom/barber have stated.
I.e. that managers have input into the type of player they want. Then Burke et al go and find players suitable. It's not too much of a stretch to assume barber and bloom have taken more control due to restrictions imposed by ffp. But they would still have input from Oscar.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It will be interesting to see how this scans out. Lots of clubs have a director of football and a manager, I suppose ours might end up like this but with different titles.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It will be interesting to see how this scans out. Lots of clubs have a director of football and a manager, I suppose ours might end up like this but with different titles.

It's the overlap between those two jobs that causes the friction. If a head coach doesn't expect to be involved in recruitment then that friction will/should not exist...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I suspect it is an element of both. However given Oscar's coaching credentials I'm sure the club would rather have spend the majority of his time on the training pitch and in the film room rather than behind a desk and permanently on the phone. Pretty sure he could identify targets either in terms of individuals or position and then the DoF and scouting staff will get on with the job.

Some might argue that Head Coach is the role that Bloom and Barber wanted to move Poyet into. The role that wouldn't have fulfilled Poyet's ambitions for either the Club or himself.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some might argue that Head Coach is the role that Bloom and Barber wanted to move Poyet into. The role that wouldn't have fulfilled Poyet's ambitions for either the Club or himself.

I certainly can't see GP being happy to work under David Burke.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I certainly can't see GP being happy to work under David Burke.

I refer to my earlier post about Bloom's comments on player recruitment during his interview. It's obvious this Head Coach title is a way of getting round the legal ramifications. The club were keen to stress that it is a newly created role, absolutely nothing like manager of the team, honest guv! I work in a blue chip organisation and this similar "new" role creation has happened a million times before when trying to move an unwanted employee out of the company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here