Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head coach - new title or new structure?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think it's two-fold, firstly for the Gus legal situation and secondly, I think the board are happy to pursue the continental-style system, with a Head Coach and someone else in charge of transfers, possibly David Burke or I wonder whether there is a role for a Steve Coppell or maybe (bearing in mind some previous rumours) a Liam Brady-type appointment?

We have just spent six weeks going through a proper legal process to dismiss a very successful manager. The club's actions show that they are doing things differently to the British norm. Got the feeling that the board think the usual football model is a busted flush and they are determined to do things differently.

And this completely fresh cultural approach is going to jar with many people (unless of course it's hugely successful).

Dandyman

In London village.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Also the club could argue that this new role is a replacement for Tanno (albeit with a different title), if Gus' legal team kick off during the appeal process

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Was just wondering this, can't think of too many other clubs in England that employ a 'Head Coach' rather than a 'Manager', Steve Clarke at West Brom was the only one I could think of.

Also does this mean Guy Poyet is the LAST EVER manager of Brighton and Hove Albion?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Presumably OGJ will still highlight players he wants then Burke handles the business side, no?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...The club's actions show that they are doing things differently to the British norm. Got the feeling that the board think the usual football model is a busted flush and they are determined to do things differently.

i think you'll find the "British norm" differs a great deal from club to club. for example some managers dont get involved in the youth side or only identify signing they want for someone else to deal with.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Never quite understood the head coach role. I guess oscar will say for example I need a forward thinking lb and burke will scout and recruit, deal with contracts etc. Or does burke scout and present list of possibilites to oscar and they agree on target and burke deals?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its a legal requirement.

If Poyet wins his appeal, he can come back as "manager", which would be difficult if we already had a replacement in that post.

The job description has to be different as well, therefore not involved in transfers, presumably unlike the former "manager" role.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So, David Burke then ... are we confident he can deliver?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
i think you'll find the "British norm" differs a great deal from club to club. for example some managers dont get involved in the youth side or only identify signing they want for someone else to deal with.

Completely get this but what I meant is that the disciplinary process was/is pretty rare for a British Club and we have been very vocal in our proposed adherence to FFP, led by the CEO announcements and not the football manager. We also appointed Gus and allowed him to set the footballing culture for the entire club. We now appoint a Head Coach while already having a Director of Football Operations. This is light years from anything we have been used to but it is what European continental football does. It feels evolutionary and not typically British football behaviour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If Poyet wins his appeal, he can come back as "manager",

if he wins, he will leave with a payoff. there is no way he could foreseeably have a working relationship with the club and nowhere for him to be placed elsewhere in the same role (as can happen with large organisations). a change of job title does makes the appointment easier though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I suspect his role is the same as if he'd been made manager. Likely he wouldn't have wanted the title of interim and this may have come out in recent talks. If it was a plan to a continental model, tb wouldnt have referred to interim in his video.

Have to agree. Title to avoid legal troubles is how I see it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I go with casbom, British Bulldog and Cheshire Cat on this one. All part of observing due process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here