Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HD TV is it all that?

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I have sky hd and to be honest..even with football i put on 401 (standard sky sports) instead of 408 (hd skysports) as someone above said you can live without it and it doesnt improve things to much

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Dont bother with HD if you have virgin media. Go with sky HD they have 20 more HD channels. For example the only HD sport on virgin is ESPN whereas sky have ESPN as well as all the sky sports channels.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Those people dissing HD should make sure they are not watching on an HD Ready TV. This will not do it full justice.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Need to buy an expensive 1080p TV, Plasmas are best.Over 2k will get you a belter that will have enough processing power to show all complicated and busy HD scenes. Best way to see how good the TV is , is to watch a soccer game with snow. The snow makes the TVs processors really work overtime and the continuing movement of the camera over the pitch, players and crowd add to this processing train. If it looks good and the snowflakes are not smudging then the TV is a goodjun. I treated myself to a Pioneer Kuor a couple of years back for my belated 50th birthday present. Best £4k I ever spent.Have never seen the Albion lose on it either.

TNBA

TTF

You do not need 1080p for sky HD as it is broadcast at 1080i, you only need 1080p for full HD when watching blu-ray :thumbsup:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
???
Need to buy an expensive 1080p TV, Plasmas are best.Over 2k will get you a belter that will have enough processing power to show all complicated and busy HD scenes. Best way to see how good the TV is , is to watch a soccer game with snow. The snow makes the TVs processors really work overtime and the continuing movement of the camera over the pitch, players and crowd add to this processing train. If it looks good and the snowflakes are not smudging then the TV is a goodjun. I treated myself to a Pioneer Kuor a couple of years back for my belated 50th birthday present. Best £4k I ever spent.Have never seen the Albion lose on it either.

TNBA

TTF

??? I think you have it slightly wrong there. As a TV is a digital device, it basically only shows what it's being sent through the HDMI lead. The only extra processing would be the digital processing if it's a 100hz set or something like that.

When you have snow and similar things which make the picture more "complicated" it's more down to HD equipment (especailly the compression unit) used by the broadcaster, and the bit rate their output is set to.

In regards to this BBC HD's feed quality has reduced considerably in the last few months after BBC fiddled with the HD output rates.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Personally I don't really see the point of it all. I have a regular digital tv and the sound and the picture are absolutely fine thank you very much. I can't see the justification of the extra expense, just to slightly improve something that is perfectly satisfactory in the first place.

Yes, I've seen HD tv, and agree, it is slightly better than regular tv, but I'm really not that bothered by it.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Personally I don't really see the point of it all. I have a regular digital tv and the sound and the picture are absolutely fine thank you very much. I can't see the justification of the extra expense, just to slightly improve something that is perfectly satisfactory in the first place.

Yes, I've seen HD tv, and agree, it is slightly better than regular tv, but I'm really not that bothered by it.

I generally agree.

HD was initially developed for American and Japanese markets which uses the NTSC format, which in general looks dreadful, due to the way the picture is constructed and the slighty lower screen resolution (525 lines) over what is used in most of Europe, through the PAL (625 lines) or SECAM formats.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
???

??? I think you have it slightly wrong there. As a TV is a digital device, it basically only shows what it's being sent through the HDMI lead. The only extra processing would be the digital processing if it's a 100hz set or something like that.

When you have snow and similar things which make the picture more "complicated" it's more down to HD equipment (especailly the compression unit) used by the broadcaster, and the bit rate their output is set to.

In regards to this BBC HD's feed quality has reduced considerably in the last few months after BBC fiddled with the HD output rates.

His TV is a top of the range plasma which is considered the best available even though Pioneer no longer make plasma TVs and the next best thing is a Panasonic. If you put a Pioneer Kuro next to a budget HDTV you would see the difference in picture quality because of the technology used in the Pioneer. The BBC have reduced the bit rate by nearly 40% using the excuse that new encoders are now in place. The picture quality on BBCHD is no longer exceptional and is now mediocre , the real reason the bitrate has been dropped is that it will be the same on satellite and digital terrestrial (Freeview) so there is no question of bias.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Kuro is indeed japanese for black and Pioneer's boffins re-designed the Plasma cells so they got 20,000:1 contrast. Hence the reason why they call it the Kuro.
LCDs are good and getting better though. Still love me Plasma.

Particularly liked the quality on Saturday there as three goals went by Van de Sh!t from the Toffeemen.
I looks luvverlier when Manure lose.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here