HD TV is it all that?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Very interested in the latest Sky promotion for free Sky HD BOX.
Having never seen HD TV before is it worth the £10 per month subscription. Or is it something I can live without?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
You can live without it, but once you've watched something in HD you'll hate anything which isn't HD!

Sport especially looks fantastic.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Football is great for evening games especially, some of the nature channels are good as well, however, not worth the extra tenner a month.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
imo i would say no its not, but theres no point in having a hd tv and not watching in hd, the sports is fantastic the films not so good

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Watching sports in HD out here is pretty much standard now and ESPN now show the prem games in HD while Fox Soccer is still SD and there is a big difference

Not sure how much Sky charge for HD but IMHO its probably worth it

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I see its a tenner a month - probably worth it I reckon although how many channels in the UK are HD ? most of them out here are now HD including the all important BBC america and ESPN

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Talking of 3D, what's the deal there? Can you convert an HDTV? How much are 3DHDTVs? Is 3DSD worth it? etc!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
was talking about HD TV this week, apparently the Sky HD is bearly any better than normal SD, but the BBC HD stuff is significantly better.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Need to buy an expensive 1080p TV, Plasmas are best.Over 2k will get you a belter that will have enough processing power to show all complicated and busy HD scenes. Best way to see how good the TV is , is to watch a soccer game with snow. The snow makes the TVs processors really work overtime and the continuing movement of the camera over the pitch, players and crowd add to this processing train. If it looks good and the snowflakes are not smudging then the TV is a goodjun. I treated myself to a Pioneer Kuor a couple of years back for my belated 50th birthday present. Best £4k I ever spent.Have never seen the Albion lose on it either.

TNBA

TTF

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Need to buy an expensive 1080p TV, Plasmas are best.Over 2k will get you a belter that will have enough processing power to show all complicated and busy HD scenes. Best way to see how good the TV is , is to watch a soccer game with snow. The snow makes the TVs processors really work overtime and the continuing movement of the camera over the pitch, players and crowd add to this processing train. If it looks good and the snowflakes are not smudging then the TV is a goodjun. I treated myself to a Pioneer Kuor a couple of years back for my belated 50th birthday present. Best £4k I ever spent.Have never seen the Albion lose on it either.

TNBA

TTF
The Pioneer Kuro is probably the best plasma TV in the world. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I see its a tenner a month - probably worth it I reckon although how many channels in the UK are HD ? most of them out here are now HD including the all important BBC america and ESPN

37 HD channels.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
can you even buy 3D TV's yet? Thought you used a normal Telly with special glasses?

The Chinese TV manufacturer, TCL (The Creative Life) who manufacture products for some of the leading consumer brands including Samsung, Sony and Toshiba, was at CES 2010 in Las Vegas showcasing their autostereoscopic (“no-glasses-required”) 3D TV display

!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
can you even buy 3D TV's yet? Thought you used a normal Telly with special glasses?

3DTVs will be available next month along with 3D BluRay players. Sky will launch their 3D channel with only around 4 or 5 programmes a week which will include football , movies and entertainment. Additional 3D glasses will be quite expensive to start off with , being about £100.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Finally getting some decent programmes like the In Betweeners. Just need to get rid of effing Gordon Ramsay and Graham Norton……..

Hearing you on FM !

Have requested a few other programmes via their email as well - QI (for the missus) and hopefully they can pick up decent BBC 3 and C4 progs

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Need to buy an expensive 1080p TV, Plasmas are best.

I'd heard that LED is now the best flat-screen technology because it offers the best contrast - apparently, plasma and LCD can't do proper black, only dark grey. There aren't many LEDs out there yet - Samsung do a 40" but its still £1200 - twice as much as plasma or LCD for the same size but prices will come down once the other brands start manufacturing LEDs.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldnt mind a HD tv but my budget is probably about £200 maximum so doubt I can get one thats worth getting :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports