Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hayfever advice?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Used to get it really bad when I was a teenager - sitting exams was really hard with eyes glued shut, and snot pouring out your nostrils! Now in my mid 40's and it is a lot better. If I go hacking in the garden in June, or running through a meadow it comes back, but generally a lot better than it used to be. Depends on the pollen I suppose.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Non-drowsy Piriton works so much better than the generic much cheaper meds. Remember to take the full and regular dosage.
Vaseline jelly in the nostrils also helps if the above isn't enough.
Which must be a placebo effect. They are all exactly the same.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have never suffered from hayfever or allergies in my life but the last few days I think I may have it for the first time. Red, painful eyes, hurts to blink, hurts to look at light. Excruciating eyeballs. It is really affecting my work and other things. Anyone got any advice please? Thank you in advance.

sounds like rabies or vapyrism but anyway, dont know how many of these have been mentioned.

Take stuff with Loratedine in it, cheap in booots.

Diet. Up the vitamin C intake, cut down on stuff that contains grass protiens, Dairy, or stimulates Histamines, Coffee and alcohol.

Lose weight and exercise.

Try to avoid fresh air in mornings, close windows.

Put vasaline in your nostrils.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A Couple of FAKE cures/myths.

Honey/ Honey caps.

Based on the idea it boosts imune system as contains pollens. Takes a long time and there are better ways of boosting immune system.

Gluten free.

Based on the idea(true) that flour contains various pollens.

True but unless you are eating the stuff raw most of the protiens will break down during baking. Gluten free only benefits people with Celiac Disease.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Which must be a placebo effect. They are all exactly the same.

Exactly this and this is part of the problem with so many quite vague medication's that too often are not guaranteed to solve the problem.

Everyone has some advice and some anecdotal evidence of a cure based on nothing more than feeling better after taking/doing it.

It might just be that symptoms undulate between good and horrid anyway and depending on where you might be within that cycle will determine how you advocate that particular medicine.

I am not saying non of it works but we all agree that much of it doesn't.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that hay fever is the immune system over reacting. Boost it and it gets worse which is why I avoid honey.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't know if it has been mentioned but when I went to the doctors last year when my hayfever got to the point where it was affecting my work they told me that there is no difference in what doctors can prescribe and what you can buy in the supermarket. I suffer from hayfever really badly and I've not yet found anything that can handle the really bad days.

I'd have thought that a week ago, having tried just about every over the counter medication available. The one my GP prescribed is called Fexofenadine Hydrochloride or Telfast 180.

Having googled it, it appears to be a considerably larger dose than you can get in anything over the counter, which is presumably why my symptoms have reduced somewhat. They've not cleared up completely- I wasn't expecting miracles- but I was barely functioning on occasion last week, and now at least I can get on with life. Put it this way, I spent all evening yesterday standing around in a road surrounded by fields- a week or go, that would have left me in an absolute state, but by the time I got back to the office about 2am, the worst thing I could complain of was a blocked nose.

Happy (ish) days.

Link to an article from the NY times on the "Does Honey ease Hayfever".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/health/10really.html?ref=really&_r=0

I used to get it a bit when younger - nothing for ages and now I (and the Younger Pottings) are all sniffing and have dry throats - however I am pretty sure it is a summer cold (or "Summer Man Flu" in my case) but we are bravely battling throught it except oldest Young Potting who is off school, sniffing on the sofa and "loom banding" like a thing possesed.

I'd have thought that a week ago, having tried just about every over the counter medication available. The one my GP prescribed is called Fexofenadine Hydrochloride or Telfast 180.

Having googled it, it appears to be a considerably larger dose than you can get in anything over the counter, which is presumably why my symptoms have reduced somewhat. They've not cleared up completely- I wasn't expecting miracles- but I was barely functioning on occasion last week, and now at least I can get on with life. Put it this way, I spent all evening yesterday standing around in a road surrounded by fields- a week or go, that would have left me in an absolute state, but by the time I got back to the office about 2am, the worst thing I could complain of was a blocked nose.

Happy (ish) days.

Were you "outstanding in your field"?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I have never suffered from hayfever or allergies in my life but the last few days I think I may have it for the first time. Red, painful eyes, hurts to blink, hurts to look at light. Excruciating eyeballs. It is really affecting my work and other things. Anyone got any advice please? Thank you in advance.

Pirinase over the counter spray, works a treat, slight steroid in it but does the trick!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks everyone. I thought I'd start with the simplest advice and so I got hold of one of the cheaper versions of Piritin. Took a couple over yesterday afternoon and took one at 5 this morning, I have also eschewed my contact lenses for a couple of days as these seemed to make it worse. This along with regularly splashing my face with cold water seems to have calmed it down considerably. The real test may be down the allotment this evening but so far so good.

Once again, much appreciated. NSC doing what it does best and not a mention of politics or aliens! Cheers all!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks everyone. I thought I'd start with the simplest advice and so I got hold of one of the cheaper versions of Piritin. Took a couple over yesterday afternoon and took one at 5 this morning, I have also eschewed my contact lenses for a couple of days as these seemed to make it worse. This along with regularly splashing my face with cold water seems to have calmed it down considerably. The real test may be down the allotment this evening but so far so good.

Once again, much appreciated. NSC doing what it does best and not a mention of politics or aliens! Cheers all!

If you can avoid the contact lenses for a bit longer, do, firstly because pollen in your eyes can get behind them and increase the irritation, and secondly because hay fever medication is designed to stop the continual eye watering, so you might find your eyes start to feel dry and your lenses really uncomfortable. Glasses for me this week.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you can avoid the contact lenses for a bit longer, do, firstly because pollen in your eyes can get behind them and increase the irritation, and secondly because hay fever medication is designed to stop the continual eye watering, so you might find your eyes start to feel dry and your lenses really uncomfortable. Glasses for me this week.

Yes, I think I will keep them out as long as pos. Don't have to work until the weekend so hoping to get by until then. I lost my specs a while back and never bothered replacing them so I'll be a bit of a mole for a few days but I'd rather that than the pain. Thanks Edna.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just invested in my first new pair of bins for about twelve years, so annoying has the hay fever been this year :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
10mg Cetirizine Hydrochloride for me, no drowsiness, and cheap as chips from an online pharmacy (after NSC made me aware I was paying far too much on prescription :thumbsup:).

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

David Miliband takes Piriton whilst on holiday on Mars.

There, Aliens,Politics and Pharmaceuticals all in one sentence.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here