Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hayfever advice?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My son has a grass pollen allergy and needs to pop Loratidine for several months, symptoms are sore eyes runny nose and lots of sneezing. I have tree pollen allergy with sore eyes and wheezing, Loratidine makes no difference, but Cetirizine works a treat. I only need to take it for a few weeks. All the cheapo stores from poundland through Lidl and Wilkinsons sell generic stuff for a pound a packet, both types which work just the same as the branded stuff at £4.50 a packet, (which backs up what others have been saying).

Even wearing sunglasses can help.

Nibble it is unlikely that your problem is grass pollen, so take a look around you and see what plants are active. I worked in an office with Sweet Chesnut trees outside and these definitely set me off, as did hyacinths, which some people have inside at Christmas/New Year.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
By the way: have you got any other symptoms, ie sneezing, runny nose, blocked nose etc?

If not, you might have conjunctivitis, in which case you need to see your GP pronto, and steer clear of others, as it's highly contagious :thumbsup:

Yeah, I have runny nose but I'm popping over to my GP this afternoon to make sure it's nowt serious. Efferson Jefferson it's annoying! I hope this is not the shape of summers to come as I work outdoors almost exclusively and it could wreck it. Glad yours is under control.

Have taken loratadine / ceterizine for several years, but although non-drowsy can make you feel a bit dozy and completely knock me out if I have any alcohol. This year I'm trying a steroid nasal spray for the first time (pirinase) and it's bloody fantastic, just two quick sprays a day and my hayfever has virtually disappeared.

Having said all this, there's a growing theory that alergic reactions such as hayfever are actually caused by stress (related to TMS) and therefore may be treatable by purely psychological means (as my back pain has been)... But I think it's early doors on that one.

I've taken Pirinase every summer for hay fever since it was switched from POM to Pharmacy only about seven years ago. There's an application to switch from PO to GSL currently being considered in the UK (ie if approved, you'll be able to buy it off the shelf from non-Pharmacy outlets).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry Nibs the best advise, from personal experience:-

Cut out alcohol.

I promise you'll be considerably better off if not drinking.

Life sucks.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Life sucks.

It doesn't really suck at the moment. It waters, burns, runs and itches :) Don't you find it adds that bit more fun and excitement to a bike ride when you can't see properly because your eyes are streaming?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suffered for the last 20 years (from late 20s onwards), incredibly irritating and has ruined many a day out including rounds of golf, fishing etc. I also suffer when I run - oddly it's OK whilst I'm running, but a nightmare afterwards sometimes. Tree pollen is worse for me although if I run through long grass I get horrendous itchy blotches on my legs. For the eyes I have found a nasal spray best (I use Beconase) and try to use it preventatively. As posted earlier, a spot of vaseline (or a specific barsnded hay fever prevention equivalent) under the nose definitely helps too.

Good luck with finding something that works. I only recently heard about the honey thing so will be trying that. Worst case if it doesn't work, I like honey anyway :D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Morrisons do a larger pack of own brand cetrizine tablets, that work out really cheap. Ask at the chemist counter.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not a quick fix or something many people are prepared to do but...

Go gluten free. Gluten is a relatively new molecule to humans and our bodies don't know what to do with it.
It's thought around 1 in 4 people have a gluten sensitively. Our bodies create an allergic response to the gluten molecule and can worse lots if not all autoimmune diseases and allergies.

I've been gluten free for 2 years now and I'm pretty much symptom free from My Ulcerative Colitis (autoimmune) also my hayfever is loads better this year. Having to take a citrizene every now and then. But nothing like previous years.

The difficult part is you need to be completely gluten free. Repeat exposure to gluten will trigger the immune response again. It also takes around 6 months to fully "recover" from gluten. And it seems to be in bloody everything even when you this it should i.e salt and pepper cashews!!

Has lots of other benefits as well like feeling more alert, less bloated.
I suppose if you think it's kind of like having hayfever from the inside 24/7/365...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn't really suck at the moment. It waters, burns, runs and itches :) Don't you find it adds that bit more fun and excitement to a bike ride when you can't see properly because your eyes are streaming?
This is the thing since sub consciously stopping drinking, I genuinely didn't realise I'd stopped for a few months, my hayfever has all but vanished.

Your eyes should be streaming because you're going so fast!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have never suffered from hayfever or allergies in my life but the last few days I think I may have it for the first time. Red, painful eyes, hurts to blink, hurts to look at light. Excruciating eyeballs. It is really affecting my work and other things. Anyone got any advice please?
Go and see a doctor. Eye problems are not always what they appear to be. But if hayfever tablets fix it, you're sorted.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I suffer badly. I used to take clarityn, piriton all the usual chemist stuff.

Then couple of years ago had a steroid injection and it dealt with it - but not something they will do more than once it seems.

Anyway - next door neighbour told me to set the alarm and take clarityn or any of the others at 5am. then go back to bed.

tried it. It worked unbelievably well. I get up every morning take it, then do some work emails and the like before setting off for work feeling much better. Sounds drastic but having no symptoms has been worth it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never had hay-fever in my life, and allergies don't run in my family, but since my early 30's I get hay-fever every late Spring/early Summer. From what I understand, it is from Silver Birch Pollen, is very common and thankfully it's over by say June.

Non-drowsy Piriton works so much better than the generic much cheaper meds. Remember to take the full and regular dosage.
Vaseline jelly in the nostrils also helps if the above isn't enough.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Don't know if it has been mentioned but when I went to the doctors last year when my hayfever got to the point where it was affecting my work they told me that there is no difference in what doctors can prescribe and what you can buy in the supermarket. I suffer from hayfever really badly and I've not yet found anything that can handle the really bad days.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Snorting salt water helps but isn't pleasant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't know if it has been mentioned but when I went to the doctors last year when my hayfever got to the point where it was affecting my work they told me that there is no difference in what doctors can prescribe and what you can buy in the supermarket. I suffer from hayfever really badly and I've not yet found anything that can handle the really bad days.

If your doctor won't prescribe a nasal spray, then ask the chemist for one. I had a particularly bad day at work once, & there was a chemist nearby. I was able to buy a spray over the counter which helped within minutes.
I was diagnosed with allergies at the age of 63, & have to be treated all year round rather than just summer.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have been hyperallergenic since my early teens and have had various changes to my allergies and treatments over the past 43 years or so. I have a peculiar pollen allergy that kicks in in Soptember for 4-6 weeks but the main allergies are to
-House dust
-Fur (nearly all animals apart from goldfish!)
-Cigarette smoke

Have had all tablets known to mankind in treatment.
Piriton (makes you very drowsy)
Loratadine (pretty useless to be honest)

to name but two.

The best tablet that I have found to work is Telfast which is also called Fexofenadine. A lot of GPs won't prescribe it because it is one of the more expensive anti-histamines. However, it really works for me. Also take a nasal spray like Beconase (there are many other similar desentisising sprays available).

Recommend Telfast, if the other suggestions don't work. Feel for you fella, I know what it is like!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here