Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
One issue we have not had for a long time is being able to develop or buy quality centre backs.

Strikers on the other hand........

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Roberts, Jenks & Connolly all impressing?

Wow, you meant the first crop of players to really benefit from the academy look a level above most of the players we’ve produced over our history? Colour me shocked. I thought it was supposed to be a complete waste of time/money and we needed to take advice off of Charlton as to why we were so shit.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
we needed to take advice off of Charlton as to why we were so shit.

original

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You've made me reiterate/reinforce my opinion on Connolly. For you to say that "his finishing isn't up to much currently" is odd. He's now played about four games for our first team. One in last year's Cup we'll forget about. Against Southampton, I'll grant you that -- he had a great opportunity that he spurned, and also had a fine opening in which he was caught offside when he'd have been clean through. Against Newcastle, he had one opportunity which was by no means easy, and did everything he could, and his debut PL goal was only prevented by a quarter of a ball and some excellent last-ditch defending. Last night, everything he did looked extremely encouraging.

And all of that is in his first few games against top level opposition. In my view, he really doesn't need to work on his finishing. We just need to keep our patience, and not unnecessarily hike up our expectations.

Well he must have played for getting on for two hours of football so far this season and he has created/had numerous chances but hasn't scored once. So creating or getting the right position isn't the issue. Yes he has been unlucky (Newcastle being the prime example) but he has also had chances I would have expected a player at this level to do better with. Scoring goals in the reserves and for Ireland U21 is one thing but he needs to start doing it for the first team else he'll go the way of all the other great white hopes we've had over recent years.

Lets hope he does as he reminds me a little bit like Michael Owen, if he can start scoring like he did then we've found a gem.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Well he must have played for getting on for two hours of football so far this season and he has created/had numerous chances but hasn't scored once. So creating or getting the right position isn't the issue. Yes he has been unlucky (Newcastle being the prime example) but he has also had chances I would have expected a player at this level to do better with. Scoring goals in the reserves and for Ireland U21 is one thing but he needs to start doing it for the first team else he'll go the way of all the other great white hopes we've had over recent years.

Lets hope he does as he reminds me a little bit like Michael Owen, if he can start scoring like he did then we've found a gem.

Connolly has played 148 minutes in the League Cup - scoring once, and 49 minutes in the Premier League. Give him a chance!
He has played 197 minutes of first team football and scored once.

Half of his 49 PL minutes to date have been against Man City at the Etihad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well he must have played for getting on for two hours of football so far this season and he has created/had numerous chances but hasn't scored once. .

Apart from when he did, in the last round of the League Cup, obviously.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If I learnt anything from last nights game its that Duffy and Bong are finished as Brighton players baring injuries to players.

Both wont be with us next season.

And I bloody love Duffy before I get people annoyed, he just does not fit in with how we now play.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think Roberts future is as a defensive midfield player.

Thought Connolly was excellent, Archie Davies was also okay.

Baluta disappointed me as did Richards who I thought was lazy out of possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If I learnt anything from last nights game its that Duffy and Bong are finished as Brighton players baring injuries to players.

And I bloody love Duffy before I get people annoyed, he just does not fit in with how we now play.

Me too..... Really want Duffy to come back and start again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Based on the past 2 seasons and the current inflated CB market, how much is Duffy worth? £20-25m? Bring in White and spend that on a striker.

I also wonder if we might see Propper leave for Ajax next summer, with Bissouma, Molumby, Alzate etc all taking a step up in the pecking order.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Based on the past 2 seasons and the current inflated CB market, how much is Duffy worth? £20-25m? Bring in White and spend that on a striker.

I also wonder if we might see Propper leave for Ajax next summer, with Bissouma, Molumby, Alzate etc all taking a step up in the pecking order.

I think that your valuation is being optimistic. I do think that his days are numbered and wonder if ti could be linked to the allegation that he is the leader of the drinking club.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think that your valuation is being optimistic. I do think that his days are numbered and wonder if ti could be linked to the allegation that he is the leader of the drinking club.

You say that, but he’s much more proven than Webster, and is statistically one of the best defenders in the air out of all of the PL. Just not great at passing it around. He’d do wonders for a Burnley type club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You say that, but he’s much more proven than Webster, and is statistically one of the best defenders in the air out of all of the PL. Just not great at passing it around. He’d do wonders for a Burnley type club.

I am not disputing that just saying that I do not think many clubs will be prepared to pay £20m+ for him. mind you only need 1 club to . I personally wouldnt want to sell him as I am not sure that the ball playing out of the defence will work every time. as there will be times when a hoof is required.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Duffy doesn’t suit the style as much but she’s still a top defender and we should keep him I feel - was our best player last year wasn’t he? Bong I totally agree with but wish him well as he’s been a great servant to the club.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I can't believe these comments about Connolly, he has looked the part, snatched shot against Southamton but his posotioning is excellent. A very small piece of luck and he would have scored against Newcastle and Villa.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I can't believe these comments about Connolly, he has looked the part, snatched shot against Southamton but his posotioning is excellent. A very small piece of luck and he would have scored against Newcastle and Villa.
Agree.....i think he is about to become the second striker with Murray after first choice Maupay. When he scores he will go on to score a few more this season.......he looks a real prospect and he is just a youngster.:clap:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed. He’s yet to start a PL game and people are criticising him. FFS!

I think he looks seriously promising. Great movement, great pace and a selfishness that all great goalscorers have. He is going to score a decent number of goals this season in my opinion and prove all the mugs who thought we’d be better off with Florin Andone totally wrong.

Correct

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here