Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hay fever.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm glad you posted as I very rarely get hf but this week it's been the same for me
although I have a random sore throat as well as what you have
Piriton is the only way for me

I have never had HF before in my life ,but now its is really bad
I can now sympathize with all those poor people who had it all their life
roll on the Autumn

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Not a good year for me either. Resorted to Vaseline up the nostrils yesterday which seems to help the itching. Otherwise I wash my eyes with a few drops of euphrasia tincture, from neals yard, in sterile water.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's a bad year for hayfever and I have a cold/chest infection as well. Not a good time for my body

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've ony had it in recent years. Worst was the first time in 2006 but this year has easily been the next worst so far. Given the sunshine on its way, i'm not keeping my hopes up either for the short term. Not working at the moment and the only blessing about that is that I can catch up on sleep I'm failing to get at night.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
My poor daughter , who is approaching 15, is suffering real bad with it. Been to the docs twice, pills seem useless, she's also got an inhaler, eye drops and a nasal spray...all useless. She's been sent home from school more times than i can remember

The doc said that if you suffer with hay fever, you should get on the anti histomines before the hay fever season starts.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am Mr Allergy. Always have been and have had many many different antihistamine tablets prescribed over the past 42 years since early teenage diagnosis. Last September was particularly dire so in desperation I went to the doctor and pleaded with her to give me something to relieve the angst. Reluctantly she prescribed Telfast . I say reluctantly because it is o softhearted most, if not the most, expensive antiallergy tablet on the market. Anyway it has revolutionised my being and life. I recommend anyone to go and force your GP to prescribe the stuff.

TNBA

TTF

Thanks for that post. I too am a "Mr Allergy", so much so that when I went for some allergy tests a few years back I even reacted to the control substance which was water! I've tried nearly all antihistimines and nasal sprays on the market, I had a polypectomy a couple of months ago, and still get huge sneezing fits. Will check out this Telfast with my GP. :thumbsup:

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Another Telfast convert here ... even have had 2 x 180mg per day but it does seem to be making a huge difference this year. Also shower daily and change clothes as hair and materials trap the pollen, as others have said sunglasses, vaseline/vicks vaporub in the nose also helps to trap pollen and I walk along the beach most days as this gives instant relief (appreciate not possible unless you live on the coast). GP's need to be asked constantly and eventually you may find they prescribe something that works...

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Currently on holiday on the hills in Tuscany and have been bitten a few times by violent Fascist Mosquitos (I can just make out the very small swastika styled arm bands). Telfast has limited the bite reaction and I have no (normal for me) sneezing allergy syndrome.

Telfast is king!

TNBA

TTF

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
This is the worst year for more than I can remember for my hay fever. I have the normal prescribed stuff, (nasal spray, eye drops) But apart from the instant relief of the eye drops nothing is really working.
I am finding that around 3 - 4pm I get a massive spike in suffering from it. I don't suppose anyone would know why this is?

Anyway, I find (as mentioned before) a shower is helpful for a short term fix. Also and completely impractical, I have on occasions found myself sitting in the car with the windows up ,air con on, shutting myself away from the damn pollen. I also wear sunglasses as much as possible.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
If you haven't tried it already, get your doctor to prescribe Fexofenadine 180mg. Can cause some drowsiness but not as much as Piriton. If that doesn't work then I would say Telfast is your last option. Although good luck getting your doctor to prescribe it as its very expensive. Working in a pharmacy, the most common combination I've been seeing recently is Fexofenadine and Beclometasone/Fluticasone nasal spray. If your eyes are particularly bad then try Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops (Opticrom, Boots Hayfever Relief, Optrex Allergy)
Hope that helps. Craig.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its been am effing nightmare last few weeks. Worst for ages :(

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Its been am effing nightmare last few weeks. Worst for ages :(

Oh damn sure. The last few years it's been fairly mild. The last two or three weeks, on the contrary, have been up there with the worst I've ever known it.

Have taken to going everywhere with both Loratidine (Clarityn) and the other one (Piriton tablets) and taking both in the same day (naughty), using a Sudafed nasal spray umpteen times a day (not to be recommended either) and smearing vaseline around my eyes and nose. Mornings and evenings are the absolute worst. My eyes and the skin around them are constantly sore at the moment from where they're streaming and I'm rubbing or trying not to rub them.

Disappointingly, I read something this week that says drinking alcohol will make hay fever worse, because it contains histamines, the very same thing that pisses our immune systems off :cry:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am finding that around 3 - 4pm I get a massive spike in suffering from it. I don't suppose anyone would know why this is?

Plants, and trees in particular, release clouds of pollen at particular times of day, early morning and early evening. Probably that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Never had Hay Fever in the UK but since moving to Japan get their INDUSTRIAL version of it.

I can only function if I go to the doctor and get prescribed medicines. Tried over the counter stuff. Had some sent from home too. Didn't work AT ALL.

If it's that bad I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh damn sure. The last few years it's been fairly mild. The last two or three weeks, on the contrary, have been up there with the worst I've ever known it.

Have taken to going everywhere with both Loratidine (Clarityn) and the other one (Piriton tablets) and taking both in the same day (naughty), using a Sudafed nasal spray umpteen times a day (not to be recommended either) and smearing vaseline around my eyes and nose. Mornings and evenings are the absolute worst. My eyes and the skin around them are constantly sore at the moment from where they're streaming and I'm rubbing or trying not to rub them.

Disappointingly, I read something this week that says drinking alcohol will make hay fever worse, because it contains histamines, the very same thing that pisses our immune systems off :cry:

Something I discovered this past spring for the first time. Made the soreness so much more bearable.

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
I too have been suffering badly in the past few weeks... but think i've found the cure :smile:

Move to Spain

I have been a sufferer since I was 14 (now 46) and no matter which remedy I try, I still suffer.Last Tuesday I flew to Spain and although I continued to have very sore eyes and lots of nasal problems (not pleasant in the pool, I must admit) for the first 48 hours, I soon felt much better. The eyes stopped itching and the sneezing stopped altogether.

The downside was once I got back to the UK, I sneezed within 30 mins of getting off the plane and have pretty much not stopped since. My eyes are constantly sore and generating lots of that nasty puss like stuff you get with Conjunctivitious (sp).

Will check the theory out again later this month when heading to Madrid for the pre-season friendlies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here