Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2023/24 edition)

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
is worth a listen, especially if you're thinking of getting a 'smart' thermostat fitted. Even if you're not, it explains the concept of compensation control and adjusting the flow temperature of your boiler.

Apparently without irony, the listener they're trying to advise on saving energy admits that she sometimes forgets to turn the boiler off when they go off to the airport on one of their many 'travels'.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Heating has been on most of the day... as I've been moving slowly around the house with my IR thermometer getting the radiators balanced. It'll be well worth the effort if I can get the study to warm quicker in the mornings! 🌞

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It might help if I could adjust any of my radiators, but the valves have been stuck solid ever since we bought the place over twenty years ago and don't budge.

They also have the tiniest inlet and outlet pipes I have ever seen.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It might help if I could adjust any of my radiators, but the valves have been stuck solid ever since we bought the place over twenty years ago and don't budge.

They also have the tiniest inlet and outlet pipes I have ever seen.
Sounds like Mini-bore pipework. Popular in sixties/seventies but prone to sludging up

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Sounds like Mini-bore pipework. Popular in sixties/seventies but prone to sludging up
Could well be.

Last time I had a plumber round about a leaky radiator connection, his comments about the pipework were unrepeatable. I could only stand there and bleat that I didn't put them in, they were were there when I bought the place. "It wasn't me - honest, guv".

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Turned the heating off a few weeks ago but Mrs Giraffe put it back on today. Have compromised by lighting the log fire this evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here