Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've just had my boiler serviced. The guy doing it recommended a smart thermostat, an ideal halo combi. Given I have only 5 rooms, all with TRVs on the radiators, is there any benefit in me spending 200 on one? How is it better than managing with the TRVs? There's no benefit to the engineer in suggesting this, I would buy and fit it myself - am I missing seeing the benefits here?

Oh, and I'd left the heating off so far, turns out he had left it on post servicing, so my heating has been on this year, albeit briefly, and now off again.
Assuming Halo is similar to Hive, and it looks like it, all day long, it'll pay for itself in no time - The concept of 'switching the heating on' will soon be distant memory as you can set detailed schedules as to what temp should be at certain times of day, days of the week, whatever you want. At some point you'll also be thankful that you've got 'holiday mode' or remote control as well for that moment when you touch down in Tenerife in December and realise your house is being kept nice and toasty in your absence :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I have had it on just once so far this autumn, on a cold night in September, when my wife wasn't feeling well.

The current mild weather is obviously helping, but it is good that we are all adopting an 'only if we really need to' approach to turning the heating on.

Ailema

Oct 26, 2022
Not once. Doors open all day (when in, obviously) and windows open all night. Not been out of shorts/t-shirts yet. Going to be a shock when it actually gets cold lol

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not been out of shorts/t-shirts yet. Going to be a shock when it actually gets cold lol
Yep, still in t-shirt and shorts - this weather is crazy. We're well in credit on our gas bill - hope that lasts

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Assuming Halo is similar to Hive, and it looks like it, all day long, it'll pay for itself in no time - The concept of 'switching the heating on' will soon be distant memory as you can set detailed schedules as to what temp should be at certain times of day, days of the week, whatever you want. At some point you'll also be thankful that you've got 'holiday mode' or remote control as well for that moment when you touch down in Tenerife in December and realise your house is being kept nice and toasty in your absence :)
When I was feeling a bit flush and being a general fan of tech I looked into making the heating super bells and whistles with a smart controller and programmable trvs.

Fortunately before committing I realised that my heating is almost never on and that the day it gets so I can't cope with it being a bit nippy indoors for an hour on my return from some trip midwinter is the day heating becomes the responsibility of my nursing home.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Two days ago for the first time this winter, up until early last week we hadn't had rain in Vancouver since June! It was still hitting 20 degree highs in the day.

Since then it's dropped to about 8 degrees during the day, and been POURING down.

Going to buy some draft excluders and get some thermal curtains for the lounge this winter. It's DG windows, but I think the seals have gone.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It's going to get cooler around the average for the time of year before global warming next week.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
I've had the fireplace going a couple of times already. These Tulikivi installations are fantastic.

However, today we are having my two ageing Panasonic air pumps replaced with a couple of new, state of the art, GREE Fairy 35-A/W Air Source Heat Pumps which I am reliably informed will keep me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. With the added benefit that they will not shut down when it goes below -15c. These boys should keep on going until at least -30c. They also have wifi connectivity too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still no heating yet and still 18.5c in the house but err in doors I think will start complaining soon

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still no heating yet and still 18.5c in the house but err in doors I think will start complaining soon
17.3 degrees here according to Hive.

Just back from my mum's though, where she had the heating on and it was toasty warm.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
New boiler went live today so the heating has been running.
Still not got any lights though, maybe Friday.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I can't see it being much longer before the heating turns itself on, it's got to the point where I've shut most of the windows and I've noticed the bathroom floor being a bit cold in the morning.

Thermostat in the hallway says it's 19.5° and the desired temp is 17° during the day, 14° at night.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
The thermostat drops to 18 degrees at my place (the switch on point) but has only dropped below it twice so far this year. Both times at 6am, and after clicking off within half an hour on each occasion hasn’t clicked back on during the rest of the day.

TBH I’m a bit freaked out, coz I’m sure I remember bonfire nights of my childhood being genuinely frosty more often than not, yet here we are less than a week away with the temperatures in the mid to high teens.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Turned it back on yesterday evening, the first time since September. It was dropping into the 18c’s and beginning to get unpleasant when relaxing.

The lesson learnt this time around, is to happily settle at 20c. Winters past we set it much higher than that.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well it's November so just in case cold weather comes I've checked that the frost protection setting (4°) is on.
For a special treat I might put the "comfort" temperature up to 15 next month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here