Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever...

Have you ever called a Chinaman a 'chink'?

• Yes, I have.

Votes: 140 63.1%
  • No, I have not.

Votes: 82 36.9%

• Total voters

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
37 too 24 at the moment however it would be interesting to see the ages of the Yes & No's, one would assume that the older generation say 35+ have voted Yes and the more educated younger people here no NSC would vote No.

which does not mean that us over 35+ are inherently racist, just a product of the time and surroundings which does not make it right, but has to be taken into account when it was on tv, at home and even in school I heard teachers use the N word.

I'm 56 and I voted No (honestly). My stepdad used to use the word frequently, complete with the seemingly mandatory outward pulling of the eyes to make them narrow vertically and wide horizontally. Sambo and coon were also regularly used.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Yes !
What's happened to freedom of speech ? Non existent now . What Whelan allegedly said is what most people say a lot of the time , the Jews are money grabbing people and good for them it has made many of them successful business people . Pathetic really even to be talking about it , but again someone who hasn't got anything to do notices it and makes it headline news .

Why is it we have to be careful what we say these days ? If someone called me fat , gay or a white ******* , I wouldn't give a damn , I would say something back not take them to court .

Why are we so sensitive ??? Why make a fuss ???

Rant over !

You say in your post you are white and a male, so you will have experienced very little discrimination in your life, as me. You probably will not have been rejected for a job for being white or perhaps stopped by the police because you are white. In fact as far as discrimination goes you are top of the tree. You might not fancy your chances in a court full of black faces who think its ok to describe you as a white bast@rd. Racism is a cancer in society and for a lot of people its not water off a ducks back. Yes when I was kid I would have called a chinese man a chink and we used to get a chinky on a friday night. I now know through education that these are unacceptable terms. Its not as plain and simple as you make out. When you dont make a fuss and when you are not so sensitive things like the holocust happen.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Using the word 'chinky' is akin to Krusty the Clown's "Me so solly" gaffe, that he swiftly followed up with: "Me likey fly lice" and "Me frappa dickey rong time." I think his career took a drastic nose dive not long after.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
"

I feel so very sorry for David Whelan who is IMO one of the 'good guys' of Footy. I've never considered him to be anything other than a gentleman, that he should apologise confirms that, for in my view there really was nothing to be sorry for. It really wasn't derogatory, in fact it was almost complimentary suggesting that Jews make good business people.
Chinky ....yes I've been out for a chinky a few times, can't remember calling a Chinese Person a 'Chink' but if I had it wouldn't have been in detriment.

This is still a racial stereotype, and more importantly let's not forget Whelan said he did not think there was “a lot wrong” with anything Mackay had said, when plainly there was.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
I have only used the term "chinky" when refering to take aways, but I have used and still do sometimes, the term "kitchen sinks":ohmy: or " bath taps":ohmy:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It seems that any word these days which is contrived to describe another's race could be construed as derogatory - even if it is not intended to be so. Clearly some words are off limits but what may have been regarded as acceptable phraseology in the past is now no longer the case. This is a problem the older generation now has to face as I think some genuinely do not know what modern society regards as racist.

I think the UK is particularly sensitive about this and I believe it is a good thing that we are. I was in a cab here in NY the other day when the driver leaned out of his window and used a racist term at another driver I have not heard in the UK in many many years and which pretty much anyone in the UK would report. I'm really not sure you can compare Mackay's comments with something like this though.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is chinky actually derogatory or is it simply an abbreviation for chinese (takeaway) that in the last 10 years has been tarnished just because the abbreviation for Pakistani is used offensively? I've never heard anyone use it offensively, just as a shorthand colloquialism much the same as Paddy is for someone Irish (because it's short for Patrick and Podrig because it's such a common name. Are frogs and Ruskies, often used as a term of endearment, now banned too. And who is keeping the global document of what's can and can't be used up to date for reference purposes? It's tricky because im sure white people could get offended, what with all the spray tan about these days!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have and do go for a chinky, meaning a slang term for a take away. Haven't called anyone a chink though. I dont see the need to change just because a few mongs are going to get butt hurt over it.l

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You say in your post you are white and a male, so you will have experienced very little discrimination in your life, as me.

Ironic post of the year imo. Making sexist and racist assumptions whi;e preaching about racism.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
37 too 24 at the moment however it would be interesting to see the ages of the Yes & No's, one would assume that the older generation say 35+ have voted Yes and the more educated younger people here no NSC would vote No.

which does not mean that us over 35+ are inherently racist, just a product of the time and surroundings which does not make it right, but has to be taken into account when it was on tv, at home and even in school I heard teachers use the N word.

Yes - fully agree. On another thread I mentioned an old school friend in the 60s of Asian origin and everyone called him "inky" - no one saw it as remotely racist, just a term of endearment. At home we always say - lets have a chinky tonight, but I would not call a Chinese person a chinky, as I assume they would be offended. So, why do we say chinky to each other? Perhaps it is not the word itself, but the intention behind the word. If it is meant as a direct insult aimed at someone, say, in the street, then this is unacceptable, but if two people in private talk of a chinky meal, is it really that wrong?

I can't help feeling that this whole question is totally over the top nowadays, and political correctness is taken to extremes. I imagine that soon someone will ban the word "yank" etc. As an aside, when in China a few years ago, I asked what the locals call us westerners - apparently they say "the big noses" - would you be offended at this?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Ironic post of the year imo. Making sexist and racist assumptions whi;e preaching about racism.

Where am I making assumptions? I am not preaching. Going down the chinky and calling people mongs is just the tip of the ice burg.... Do you prefer a world of intolerance and racism ?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I have and do go for a chinky, meaning a slang term for a take away. Haven't called anyone a chink though. I dont see the need to change just because a few mongs are going to get butt hurt over it.l

You're an inspiration to every knuckle-dragging throwback retro keyboard warrior looney. Top bombing. The mongs must be defeated at all costs! CTRL ALT CHINKY

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Where am I making assumptions? I am not preaching. Going down the chinky and calling people mongs is just the tip of the ice burg.... Do you prefer a world of intolerance and racism ?

you assume because he is white and male he has experianced little discrimination I would say they are pretty big assumptions. Not being preachy? Your comparing the posters attitude to the friggin holocaust!!!

When you dont make a fuss and when you are not so sensitive things like the holocust happen.

FFS could you be any more melodramatic?

I find Intolerance emerges from people who have been brainwashed. A sure sign of this is the inability for example, to see the difference between "Going for a chinky for my tea", and "Going for a chinky with a knife shouting Viva Britania". Its called context, not understanding this is whats making your life miserable.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
you assume because he is white and male he has experianced little discrimination I would say they are pretty big assumptions. Not being preachy? Your comparing the posters attitude to the friggin holocaust!!!

When you dont make a fuss and when you are not so sensitive things like the holocust happen.

FFS could you be any more melodramatic?

I find Intolerance emerges from people who have been brainwashed. A sure sign of this is the inability for example, to see the difference between "Going for a chinky for my tea", and "Going for a chinky with a knife shouting Viva Britania". Its called context, not understanding this is whats making your life miserable.

Ok I think you have completely won the arguement congratulations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here